Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WowozuelaSpammer

Difference between Barons of Hell and Hell Knights

I've been playing some Doom 2 recently, and when i found the Hell Knight for the first time, i couldn't do anything but wonder, what's the difference between the Hell Knights and the Barons of Hell? 

They have half the health of their "bigger brother", nothing more, nothing less. 

They are quite an improvement from the previous enemy, mostly because they don't slow down the gameplay with 1000 hp (as the baron do), but at the same time they can also be used as common enemies replacing the imps in harder wads. They are a perfect link between the Doom monsters and the new Doom2 mid-tier enemies.

The difference is that a Hell Knight is a glass cannon version of the Baron of Hell.

They deal the same amount of damage, but the Hell Knight has 500 HP while the Baron has 1000 HP.

Nothing but HP. Barons have more. Both have the same damage output.

Exactly the same when it comes to attack but only half as healthy. They also are immune to their own attacks unless once accidentally explodes a barrel.

2 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Hell Knights can bust some moves.  OW!!

Hide contents

I cannot express how much I love this.

4 minutes ago, Hunting4r2d2 said:

I cannot express how much I love this.

Oh, it's even better in map33 of this...

(accessible from map02)

All I know is that they're are tough as a dump truck and nearly as big, and that they're the worst things on two legs since the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Hell Knight is just a recolored version of Baron, but with halved health.

Hell Knight was designed as a middle enemy between Imp and Baron, because fighting hordes of Cacodemons eventually gets boring.

Baron of Hell was designed as a beef gate, having more health than everyone else (except Spiderdemon and Cyb).

Hell Knights have more opportunities to be used in a map without frustrating the player, at the expense of sounding way less cool.

I always thought that was seriously lazy.  I mean come on, draw an original creature - you don't even have to change the projectile or the sound effects.  

Hell Knights are Barons with half the health. And I mean that literally; the engine treats the two as the same species (so they cannot hurt each other in normal circumstances).

The discolouration of the skin of the Hell Knight plus the reduced constitution would suggest it has a poorer diet than the healthier Baron of Hell. Perhaps the nomenclature of both could give us some clue to why this may be; in the heirarchy of monarchy, a Baron is directly beneath the King whereas a mere Knight is in service to both -- although obviously the dominion of the King overrides that of the Baron where applicable. This would infer that the Baron of Hell is a wealthier denizen in general and therefore has no difficulty acquiring adequate nutritional material to ensure its healthy pink/red hue and gross of hit-points. The lowly Hell Knight has to 'make do' with scraps, whatever it can muster on what I assume is a meagre pay for fealty to the King and his immediate subjects, and thus this is reflected in its diminished well-being.

22 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

What, how and wow

The Hell Knight team is set as your allies, while Barons are still traditional enemies.

This is a source port feature.

30 minutes ago, Oppo1021 said:

Now if only we had a squire.

I'm holding out for a Hell Bard. All the melee and ranged damage of the nobles, but piss-poor HP and singing voice.