• Final Boss
    • Gladiator
    • Khan Maykr
    • Marauder
    • Tyrant
    • Arch-Vile
    • Doom-Hunter
    • Baron?

Doom Eternal has been out for some time now, I think most people here already had beat the game, and some others are even aimin for the UNM mode, like me... well not that much, I'm fine with regular Nightmare lol.

So tell me, wich boss did you enjoy the most ?

For this, I'm counting the super-heavy demons as bosses, the Marauder, the Doom Hunter, the Arch-Vile and the Tyrant. (I'm not sure if the Baron counts, has he is the weakest of them.) And of course, the official boss-style-fights.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

I really liked the Gladiator boss fight, even if he was essentially a super Marauder. The idea that he's a scarred and armored classic Hell Knight is really cool. The "Kar En Tuk" chorus music also stands out and heightens the fight. The area itself also stands out, it's a literal arena fight! Finishing him off with his own weapon in a unique glory kill (akin to 2016's boss glory kills) was also nice and something that was missing from the other boss fights (Doom Hunter, Khan Maykr, and I wish I could press the button to swing the Crucible into the Icon of Sin's exposed brain).

My only wishes for the Gladiator are that (1) he had more attacks to mix things up and (2) spawned more powerful enemies during the fight. If a Sentinel Prime Master Level is possible, then the latter is definitely something they could do.

1 hour ago, AtimZarr1 said:

I really liked the Gladiator boss fight, even if he was essentially a super Marauder. The idea that he's a scarred and armored classic Hell Knight is really cool. The "Kar En Tuk" chorus music also stands out and heightens the fight. The area itself also stands out, it's a literal arena fight! Finishing him off with his own weapon in a unique glory kill (akin to 2016's boss glory kills) was also nice and something that was missing from the other boss fights (Doom Hunter, Khan Maykr, and I wish I could press the button to swing the Crucible into the Icon of Sin's exposed brain).

My only wishes for the Gladiator are that (1) he had more attacks to mix things up and (2) spawned more powerful enemies during the fight. If a Sentinel Prime Master Level is possible, then the latter is definitely something they could do.

I agreed with your wishes. I felt the Gladiator was kinda easy in comparison with the rest of the bosses, probably because it really doesnt have a lot of attacks and the green eyes of the shield are very easy to predict.

Icon of Sin, by far.  The final boss fight is a really appropriate and well-done culmination of everything the game is about and everything you have learned up to that point.  You have to move very quickly around a huge arena, juggle competing priorities, use your fancy new weaponry to clear out the chaff while (potentially) using old standby weaponry on the big guy (I used sticky bombs), the spawning dynamics are relatively fair and seemed to produce a decent amount of fodder for replenishment...it all just works.

Doom Hunter was a terrific build-up--honestly, maybe the best build-up to a boss I've ever seen in a game--but I personally found him a little annoying to deal with given the limited weaponry available and (more importantly) my limited skills at that point in the game.  I've also never been a huge fan of the "Oh, look, now I get to fight two of them at the same time!" trope in boss fights, which more or less feel like an admission by the developers that the dude on his own isn't hard enough and that they need to cheapen things up to make it challenging.  Side note: I'd be curious to know what people think about the developmental background of that level.  I would assume that they knew wanted a factory-type place relatively early on in the game, and that this was around the point where you should fight your first boss battle, and then retro-fitted the idea of the factory being the Doom Hunter's building ground and peppered in all of the taunting, etc. after the fact to make it make sense.  I would be surprised if they started out with the idea that Doom Hunter was going to be some super-special boss with its own special factory and an entire level that literally no other boss got (I get that the Gladiator is literally the only enemy in level 8, but level 4 is literally called DOOM Hunter Base and is all about him/it).

Gladiator was both too easy and too hard at the same time, and didn't really feel in place with the rest of the game.  The first half of the fight was a joke.  In the second half, I felt his attacks became too fast and unpredictable to be able to meaningfully predict and avoid, and I basically just put my head down and powered through.  This boss felt a lot like those rock brothers at the end of the Necropolis (sp) in Doom 2016.  

Khan Maykr just sucked, at least on a console.  I kept falling off the side after the little chain/punch combo and it felt nearly impossible to avoid her setting the entire ground aflame.  Just felt that this boss fight put too much stress on the Y-axis of the controller (having to look up and down to find her, to see whether you were standing in lava, and to try and convert head shots on those little drones) without the fun of the rest of the game.           

I liked all the recurring boss fights far more than the one of a kind unique ones.

54 minutes ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

Gladiator.

I love the music, the boss visual design, and the mechanics of the fight.

Nothing like some sentinel chants to spice things up.

I remember the first time I encountered the Arch-Vile in my initial playthrough. I had no idea when it was going to show up. I was like, "Eh, I'm not worried about it".

And when the Vile showed up, holy crap. I laid my first big fat egg of solid fuck. It made me eat my words with a lump of E.coli. And then sprayed it out of my ass at 300 mph.

7 hours ago, Sitting on a cornflake said:

Gladiator was both too easy and too hard at the same time, and didn't really feel in place with the rest of the game.  The first half of the fight was a joke.  In the second half, I felt his attacks became too fast and unpredictable to be able to meaningfully predict and avoid, and I basically just put my head down and powered through.  This boss felt a lot like those rock brothers at the end of the Necropolis (sp) in Doom 2016.  

Khan Maykr just sucked, at least on a console.  I kept falling off the side after the little chain/punch combo and it felt nearly impossible to avoid her setting the entire ground aflame.  Just felt that this boss fight put too much stress on the Y-axis of the controller (having to look up and down to find her, to see whether you were standing in lava, and to try and convert head shots on those little drones) without the fun of the rest of the game.           

That Gladiator fight really was a joke, he appeared and i was like "huh this is going to get intense" and then wham he is dead lol. Too easy, the difficulty of the game is kinda inconsistent i would say.

The battle with the angel thing also sucked, i was on pc and i had the exact same problem as you, and the fact that you lose health when you fall and you might even die from failing made it much worse, specially if you are about to kill it and you have low health but you fall into the void and the battle has to be restarted. Awful.

I liked the first battle with the Doom Hunter and Marauder, they felt important.

I like the Tyrant, it's the tankiest and has the best death animation (blows up and leaves two standing legs). My first encounter was when two of them spawned in a slayer gate. That was a fun surprise, and memorable.

Why did they call it the Tyrant, though? I don't get it.

10 hours ago, GuyMcBrofist said:

Why did they call it the Tyrant, though? I don't get it.

Most likely due to lore-related stuff - the Cyberdemon in Doom 4 appeared as a one-time boss enemy.

The icon fight was so awesome and now I'm pining for some more giant/titan boss fights.

My biggest gripe is the meat hook was underutilized (imagine seeing around in the air like spiderman during the icon fight) and I was hoping for superhero style feats during the battle. Like the slayer glory killing each body part and doing big superman punches instead of just shooting the body parts.