Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

which WADs should be added to the Bethesda console port of doom/doom II

As you all know, a year ago they released a DOOM/DOOM 2 remake. Recently, they added add-ons of WADs to play such as but not limited to Double Impact, No End in Sight, Sigil, and Final DOOM. What I was wondering is what should be ported onto the consoles as a free add-on? (Hopefully Bethesda will listen)

Eviternity is really cool. It'd be awesome to play it on the Switch while I'm bored

13 minutes ago, Skootroot said:

Eviternity is really cool. It'd be awesome to play it on the Switch while I'm bored

Agree but it would be impossible due to technical limitations.

Eternal Doom, though I doubt it will happen due to the large amount of Hexen resources.

BTSX seems like an obvious wishlist item, but if they want something more vanilla-textured, the DTWID series seems like a no-brainer.

Well I suppose this is good motivation to actually finalize Cyb’s Freaky Colonoscopy :p

(Seriouspost: Of course, if they could handle Boom compatibility Going Down would be my number 1 pick, and given its near-exclusive use of vanilla textures it would be doable from a legal angle)

Edited by Big Ol Billy

It is not like they are asking us for suggestions. But, anyway, this post is important. Just the requirement of contacting all the original authors discards many classic megawads and community projects.

On 2/25/2020 at 3:04 PM, Mike Rubits (sponge) said:

In order to license WADs, we have to be able to contact all the original authors, and they must have made all the assets themselves. Heretic, Hexen are often seen in people's works, but because id only published them, our rights to use assets outside of the original game are a little less clear, so we just avoid that situation entirely. Doom 64 is similar. Wolf (except '09), Rage, Quake, and the other Doom games should be fine. They must also be vanilla or limits removing (although some still crash) without DeHackEd. That one has been actually the tricky part, given the amount of awesome Boom compatible levels, and levels that have a light amount of, but still critical DEH patch, but I'm pretty happy with what's we've at least got planned.

This will be my only post, For starters, as a joke, I think they should add wow.wad. Also, Diaboluxión has commented that Mike Rubits said that DOOM 64 is similar, but that was also ported to the PlayStation/Xbox/Switch so maybe it isn't that difficult to do and ID has just been laying back a bit. I think that there aren't any real technical limitations, so they could add WADs like Eviternity. I think that Add-ons are important, and should be a major part of DOOM Bethesda console ports. I know nobody from Bethesda/ID is reading this, but I wish they added much more WADs, and even possibly port a doom building app on consoles, which they can do if you have played DOOM snap map. Thank you for giving your opinions. 

Since it’s has a lot of relevant information but may have been missed by some people, I’ll drop a link to another thread:

Edit: In an ideal world we’d get some deathmatch turf! Greenwar and Dweller2 are obvious picks since they’re both fully vanilla and have zero copyrighted music or custom textures. Hellbent is even active on the forums and I’m sure he’d say yes if we asked him nicely!

Imagine a developer secretly sneaking in a Terry WAD it there.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

I went through the Cacoawards and ruled out the ones that don't qualify and came up with a couple predictions for the next add-on:

I'm guessing it'll be for Doom II because the last two were for OGDoom. With that in mind, ruling out any winners with advanced sourceport features, copyrighted/dubious textures, and a large team of authors, my bets are Reverie or Demonfear. Reverie would need some Doom 64 assets removed and maybe a handful of the Egyptian textures, but those could easily be replaced. Demonfear could be released as is. Both authors are still around and could be contacted.

Anyway, just wanted this in writing so there's evidence in case I'm right haha.

On 4/9/2020 at 10:34 PM, Dubbagdarrel said:

Imagine a developer secretly sneaking in a Terry WAD it there.

herm herm herm

Edited by apollyon094

The problem with community projects is that the more people are in there, the harder it'll be for id to contact everyone.

I have a list of top popular /idgames entries they can check. Basically I used the Doomworld /idgames API to find the entries with the biggest number of reviewers, as I can assume they're the most visible and popular ones. While not everything there is eligible, we can get a good clue of what people know and love.

Here are some examples from there:

1. Alien Vendetta
  2. Plutonia 2
  3. Hell Revealed 1 & 2
  4. Scythe 1 & 2
  5. Deus Vult
  6. Kama Sutra
  7. Eternal Doom
  8. Memento Mori 1 & 2
  9. Requiem
  10. Void
  11. Speed of Doom
  12. Suspended in Dusk
  13. Batman Doom
  14. 2002 A Doom Odyssey
  15. 1 Monster Megawad
  16. Doomsday at UAC
  17. Darkening 1 & 2

Is this vanilla Doom or does it have port features?

1 hour ago, printz said:

I have a list of top popular /idgames entries they can check. Basically I used the Doomworld /idgames API to find the entries with the biggest number of reviewers, as I can assume they're the most visible and popular ones. While not everything there is eligible, we can get a good clue of what people know and love.

Is this vanilla Doom or does it have port features?

As I've seen stated before - obviously the issue with many of these would be resources taken from Heretic, Hexen, Duke3D and other 90ies shooters. 

Of course it would be possible to clean up most of them and replace the textures with new custom ones or stock textures, but this would indeed require permissions from the original authors and a fair amount of work.

I can only speak for AV, but if it was considered, I'm fairly confident we could contact everyone we needed to from the original team and make a "clean" version of it for this purpose. It would be a fun challenge just to dress it up to see how it'd look.

I'm sure there are many other better candidates too. There would probably be even less work with something like Memento Mori 1 / 2 since afaik they use mostly custom textures and music, without pillaging other games. The issue there would probably be being able to contact the slew of original authors for permissions.

Plutonia 2 with a bit of cleanup would be an excellent candidate. I suppose it mostly utilize the Final Doom texture pack anyway.

It'll be interesting to see which ones make it eventually, pretty cool stuff in either case.

13 minutes ago, Andy Johnsen said:

As I've seen stated before - obviously the issue with many of these would be resources taken from Heretic, Hexen, Duke3D and other 90ies shooters. 

Of course it would be possible to clean up most of them and replace the textures with new custom ones or stock textures, but this would indeed require permissions from the original authors and a fair amount of work.

It would be a beautiful challenge to design mods with only original extra content. Also it would be interesting to filter out from the set only the megawads (and not just megawads; perhaps make Master Level style compilations of great single maps?) with original content.

Well, if we had to limit our self to suggest stock texture themed wads, coincidence aside, i was researching about the best stock texture megawads out there.

For Doom 2: Demonfear without a doubt, for me is one of the most influential mapsets ever.

Then Kama Sutra, but there are some Heretic/Hexen textures (but they could be easily replaced)... so it get banned... also map30: Pika :P

Only choice left is Khorus's Speedy Shit, best stock texture, vanilla megawad for Doom 2. (But also, shits happens)
And i second totally about Cyberdreams. But as a great departure of the normal Doom gameplay, i dout it could make into the list.

If Vile Flesh could be restructured as a Limit removing megawad and not Boom (Gwynn Williams doesnt use any boom specific feature, so its just a limit removing mapset made in boom format), this will be my choice for sure. Its the stock texture response to Eternal Doom, and less stupidly switchhunting cryptic. Also, original music and custom end graphics. This megawad is the best ever tribute to team TNT. The end of the megawad is also similar to TNT: Evilution, ending with a cliffhanger.

For Ultimate Doom, Endless Torture, U+DTWID, and Switcheroom are obvious vanilla choices. Wonderfull Doom, too.
ConC.E.R.Ned plus Thy Flesh turned into a draft excluder is also a good vanilla-limit removing choice for Ultimate Doom.
Then Lunar Catastrophe and Sinergy come nicely as Limit Removing. Probably Deathless too, but i found that there are some custom textures in there, don't know from where.

On 4/14/2020 at 10:50 AM, Andy Johnsen said:

I can only speak for AV, but if it was considered, I'm fairly confident we could contact everyone we needed to from the original team and make a "clean" version of it for this purpose. It would be a fun challenge just to dress it up to see how it'd look.

Sounds good, I'm interested

Maybe add some armour to Hillside Siege to lower the frustration levels

Hillside siege edits mostly done, just some texture alignment to fix. GZDOOMbuilder may have rebuilt the nodes using zokumbsp (original was bsp) but as map structure unchanged it shouldn't be an issue.

batman doom

if there's copyright clashes just have bethesday buy disney *starts counting on fingers*

6 hours ago, yakfak said:

batman doom

if there's copyright clashes just have bethesday buy disney *starts counting on fingers*

Disney doesn't own Batman...

yet

2 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Too much Dehacked lol

Thats right, if i recall right,dehacked stuff can't be readto by the new port.
My question is, in this new port, when you play No End in Sight, it have automap names and text screens?
If not, a lot of megawads will suffer a lot from this.
Revolution! is a good candidate for inclusion, less than 100 new and custom (not ripped) textures and a lot of good and entertaining design. Along with the midipack this is a complete new and satisfying experience. But, without the midipack and the intermission texts, this is like a set of maps without much sense. Pretty good, but the added story text adds a lot to the mood of the adventure.

48 minutes ago, Gez said:

glad to know it now, Gez. As always, thank you.

With this new information, there are plenty of wads from vanilla to limit removing that could be added. Only if they have new, custom, original art and modified doom textures. So to help the community a little, im gonna make a list of the possible candidates for release. Maybe that also help bethesda deciding what to release next.

Another thing that bethesda's guys surely are taking in consideration, is the difficult of the whole megawad. Casual gamers and new people to Doom surely aren't as skilled as we (me? no, ima pussy! i play hntr all time) veteran doomers. So i think that, as much as we wished to see it, Scythe is a little above plutonia uv skill, making it a hard choice.

But if we want something in this same style, Rebirth and its new midipack, is a good choice... oh shit, Blood textures on secret map, i forget. Mmm maybe they will try to port TNT and Plutonia wads. In that case, Revilution is a perfect choice.

Anyway, im gonna work that list when i get home.