Are you metal  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Are you metal

• as fuck!
    • old skool
    • NWOBHM
    • Not really
    • Not at all

Does anyone know if I can modify a poll once it has started? A few people have mentioned that the poll doesn't have options they would like to see and I'd like to add these if I can. 

For some reason, in terms of the music I habitually listen to, it is exclusively metal, and has been for a long time. I think I basically need that underlying bass to really have long term enjoyment from it, I can certainly appreciate music of other genres (for example, love John Carpenter's soundtrack work) but just, it needs to be metal to pass into my library, its just how I am. 

I think my taste has gradually undergone fairly big changes though, used to really be power metal and symphonic metal that I started out with (Rhapsody > Dragonforce by the way :P) but I've been more into as I get older and more depressed, more depressed sounding metal. Maybe my inclination towards focusing on that might change back a bit and its just a phase I'm going through, who knows. But my focus has always been kind of tight, just maybe more tight than its ever been before (music folder is down to 22 bands at this point). 

'I'm just another back street kid
Rock 'n Roll music is the only thing I really dig
Can't stop the music going round inside my head
I'm a rock 'n roll soldier, gonna play it until I'm dead
Nobody I know will ever take my rock 'n roll away from me' 

I'm not that much of a metal fan overall but there are songs in the "metal" genres I do like.

Though if there's any metal I would like, it's pirate metal with Alestorm XD

9 hours ago, hybridial said:

Maybe my inclination towards focusing on that might change back a bit and its just a phase I'm going through, who knows. But my focus has always been kind of tight, just maybe more tight than its ever been before (music folder is down to 22 bands at this point).

Unlikely IMO, once you've found what you've looking for you're settled for good in my experience.

But the "phase" thingy is pretty silly honestly, this reminds me of people who do not take themselves serious at all, especially their preferences and tastes, and correlates them with whatever they're going through currently or age :p .

12 minutes ago, seed said:

But the "phase" thingy is pretty silly honestly, this reminds me of people who do not take themselves serious at all, especially their preferences and tastes, and correlates them with whatever they're going through currently or age :p .

That's not silly at all.

Some music you just grow out of once you discover bands or types of music that fit your personality and taste more than what you had "available" previously. I know for one thing I'm never going to listen to Nine Inch Nails or Korn again for instance - and I played them a lot when I was in my late teens.

21 minutes ago, Uncle 80 said:

That's not silly at all.

Some music you just grow out of once you discover bands or types of music that fit your personality and taste more than what you had "available" previously. I know for one thing I'm never going to listen to Nine Inch Nails or Korn again for instance - and I played them a lot when I was in my late teens.

Yea, my phrasing was pretty ambiguous, admittedly. When I said that I was thinking of the "metal is just a phase/something you listen to when you're young and that's it" kind of persons.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Unlikely IMO, once you've found what you've looking for you're settled for good in my experience.

Oh, I don't really mean it in that general sense, I'm meaning it might be my mindset, which does go up and down quite a lot. And also because this entailed dumping a lot of bands I really liked for a long time at once which even for me is sort of unusual... except the first time it happened a few years ago which also I think was definitely a major shift in mindset and coming from a pretty horrible period of my life. 

But you still be right that its more permanent because I kinda look at what I'm getting from albums by say, Ne Obliviscaris, Wilderun's Veil of Imagination, and Barren Earth's A Complex of Cages, well, here's the thing. I'm not a big extreme metal guy, but what I find I really like in music is heavy contrast. I've started to realise you take some elements of death metal, doom metal and even black metal in some cases (Agalloch, they're great) and then these bands mix it with either softer melodic elements or soaring epic elements, elements that generally characterised many of the bands I was really into for a long time, and the results are so great to me, and it kind of does overshadow what I was previously into. Like those examples I mentioned, they have a lot of what attracted me to Kamelot, and I would say still am a great admirer of Roy Khan as a vocalist, but the prior mentioned bands have clean vocalists who are also really good, and just offer something more daring and more intense than anything Kamelot did. Like 100% getting everything from them I got from Kamelot but then on top a lot more, because of the wonderful contrasts with the heavier elements they make use of. They may have simply changed my standards, but whether its long term or short term I can't really say. 

Not particularly, though there are a few bands across the metal spectrum I really enjoy. Such as Black Sabbath, Devourment and System of a Down. Personally I find most "Metalheads" obnoxious and pretentious as can be so I tend to stay away from the scene.

Short answer: yes. 

Mostly black metal and old school heavy metal. 

Some favs: Paysage d'Hiver, Forteresse, Katharsis, Metallica pre 1990, Razor, Dio, Darkthrone, Burzum, Autopsy, Celtic Frost, Sepultura pre 1989, etc bla bla bla

12 hours ago, Gokuma said:

I've come to the disheartening realization that I'll never be as metal as these guys...

that was filmed with a camera that is way too good for a real black metal video. A shame, because the rest of it is on point.

I was 12 years old once too. Then I realized making a music genre a core element of who you are is pretty fucking exceptional.

People can't tell what kind of music I listen to and they sure can't guess I sometimes listen to metal, unless we're specifically talking about it. If you're the kind to sport the leather armband, chains and metal band tee-shirt, you need to reconsider some of your life choices.

More on topic: trash metal is my go-to style

2 minutes ago, DesecratorJ said:

I don't think i'll need advice on my life choices from some random dude on the Internet, ffs. 

Yeah... besides, I can dress however the fuck I want. I could go covered in blood on the streets if I really wanted to...

I like a wide array of metal.  

Old school Black Sabbath from 1968 to the weirdo new stuff like Mushroomhead.  My playlist is full of stuff to bang your head to.  I'll try to describe my playlist if it went on shuffle:

Black Sabbath - Sleeping Village

White Zombie - Feed The Gods

Metallica - To Live is to Die

Slayer - Dead Skin Mask

Om - Thebes

Electric Wizard - Funeralapolis

Black Label Society - Demise of Sanity

Megadeth - 44 Minutes

Sheavy - Electric Sleep

Alice in Chains - Would?

Black Sabbath - Buried Alive

Mushroomhead - Inevitable

Metallica - Until it Sleeps

Rammstein - Rein, Raus

Ozzy Osbourne - Walk On Water

Bongripper - Worship

Marduk - Dream of Blood and Iron

Witchery - Shallow Grave

Judas Priest - Metal Meltdown

Judas Priest - Jugulator

King Diamond - Abigail

Shrüm - Tears of a Merrianette

Acid Bath - Diab Soule

Judas Priest - Loch Ness

Funeral Tears - For You

Amon Amarth - Live Without Regret

Slipknot - Prosthetics

Slipknot - I Am Hated

Pantera - Throes of Rejection

Sanctuary - Battle Angels

Nevermore - Medicated Nation

...just to name a few.  But there's a bit of everything as far as mood goes here.  Got the somber tunes, the headbangers, the lay in your bed staring at the ceiling wondering why you're even still alive, the pure anger, the zone out and long for something you can't put a name to, the groovy mind trips...there's a little something for everyone.

I usually end up editing my posts for typographical errors I see after hitting submit.  But I don't feel like it now.  So enjoy.