Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PixelGuy666

Favorite DOOM game?

Got interested in Doom around Christmas of 1993. Been a fanatic ever since! I've played every game with the exception of the Doom RPG. But my absolute favourite Doom game has got to be Doom 64. I absolutely love the damn game, I play it pretty religiously to this day.

Doom 1 on Switch or Xbox 360, with MIDIs turned off, and Aubrey Hodges' music playing nearby.  Upped resolution and smooth frame rate (60fps on the Switch) make that game play like a dream.  Smooth as silk.  Over 25 years later this still holds up.  

Doom 64 (especially with more playthroughs) 

That's interesting, that you enjoy the console ports. They are both really good ports. Doom 64 is really good. I just beat it for the first time recently, despite having it for years. 

22 minutes ago, PixelGuy666 said:

That's interesting, that you enjoy the console ports. They are both really good ports. Doom 64 is really good. I just beat it for the first time recently, despite having it for years. 

I've never played any form of Doom on a PC.  Started with the Jag Doom, then 32X (just once, on a friend's system), then PSX (this was my favorite for many years), then Xbox (from the BFG edition of Doom 3, didn't take, think it was the MIDIs that killed it for me), then Xbox 360 Live (love this one), and now Switch (my permanent go-to).  

Played D64 right when it came out, then bought a N64 with D64 just to play it again in the 2000s, and now the Switch will be my permanent go-to for that too.

Will eventually download Doom II in time for the Switch, just not in any great rush.  

Didn't like Doom 3 at all and don't really have much interest in Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal at this time.  I thoroughly enjoy the older ones for what they are.  

That's cool that you started out with the console ports and that it's your preferred version. I agree the switch ports are good. I have all the DOOM games on switch and PC and they're both great.

DooM 64, hands down the best doom game in terms of ambient horror atmosphere.

If we're just talking about "What game would I want to boot up, play and have fun with", not "Look how important it was for history/ modding", then I'm going with Doom Eternal. 

Runner up would be Ultimate Doom.

That's kinda hard since I like all of em for different reasons, if you put a gun to my head and made me choose I'd probably go Doom 2016 since that turned me into a big fan of the series as opposed to before where I enjoyed the first game and was kinda excited for the reboot, it also gave the series the biggest breath of popularity it's had since the 90s

DOOM 2016 seems to be a lot of people's gateway into becoming a fan of the series. And I agree that it's great that it brought DOOM back into the mainstream. 

OOF Tough choice

If I played Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 on their own I wouldn't last long, Doom 3 has a nice spooky atmosphere and style but gets repetitive and stale after a while and it doesn't have the best-feeling weapons in the series but it has the freakiest hell level, Doom 2016 retains some of Doom 3's nice style with some of its levels like The Foundry and Res Ops and keeps them slightly more varied thematically (Resource Ops, Lazarus Labs, Argent Energy Tower, VEGA Central Processing) and the weapons feel good to use but it too could get a bit stale with the constant lockdowns and its Hell levels weren't the best, I've not played Doom Eternal yet so I don't feel like I have a solid opinion on it yet.

Overall I'd say Doom 2016.

Not my favourite but gosh dangit I wanna give some love to DooM 3.

For being the black sheep of the series it's quite a fun game, with a creepy atmosphere, jumpscares and a proper horror feel that works well. Not to mention the game has some pretty solid combat (though the shotgun rival's quake 1's shotty in uselessness),

I guess my personal ranking would be:

1. The Ultimate Doom

2. Doom Eternal

3. Doom 64

4. Final Doom: TNT Evilution

5. Doom (2016)

6. Doom II: Hell on Earth

7. Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment

8. Doom 3

I consider the two halves of Final Doom to be two seperate games, since they are both megaWADs, and they both have seperate storylines. 

I am only considering the stock levels, game mechanics and official expansions and how I feel about them right now, at this moment. I'm not considering the impact they had when released, or the mods that they have spawned. 

Edited by Phobos Anomaly

DooM(2016) because it got me and a lot of others into classic DooM. DooM 2 is a very close second. 

22 minutes ago, bobbyfish said:

DooM(2016) because it got me and a lot of others into classic DooM. DooM 2 is a very close second. 

Welcome to the family. You are now one of us

one of us

one of us

one of us

Campaign wise it's Ultimate Doom, followed quite closely by Doom Eternal.  For modding it's Doom 2.  

I like Aubrey Hodges's music for Doom 64 but haven't been able to get into Doom 64 as strongly, though it has its plus points.  Doom 3 is great early and late in the campaign but gets repetitive in the middle.  DOOM 2016 is a pretty good game and was the foundation that Doom Eternal built on, but for me the checkpoint only saves detracted from the experience (which I can't say of Doom Eternal, I think Eternal is the first game that I've played with checkpoint only saves where I feel the inability to save where and when you want doesn't detract from the game at all).  Final Doom for me is a mixed bag, in the case of both TNT and Plutonia, but with Plutonia having more in the way of strong moments than TNT.

1. Doom 64 + Lost Levels (10/10)

2. The Ultimate Doom + Sigil (10/10)

3. Doom II: Hell on Earth + The Master Levels + No Rest for the Living (9/10)

4. Doom (2016) (9/10)

5. Final Doom (7/10)

6. Doom VFR (6/10)

Haven't played enough of Eternal to rank it. Never played any of the phone games.

Doom 3 is a terrible video game. 

Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 has got to be my personal favorites. Final Doom comes in second (or third...?)

Best DOOM game are the Master Level's for DOOM 2 because of there easy difficulty and totally NOT shit levels. Their rooms are not just F U's to the fans and the level do not look like they were made In under 10-15 minutes. They use the perfect amount of enemies in levels such as Mephisto's Mausoleum and place weapons and health packs right where you want them to. The levels are really short with Escape from Titan only being about 100xs longer than the par time for the first level of DOOM 2. My next pick is Final Doom since you actually have to pay for it and also get to dive deeper into the lives of revenants and the heavy weapon dudes. Thanks modders!

if we're talking classic DOOM, id say either DOOM 64 or DOOM 2.

if we're talking modern DOOM, id say DOOM Eternal

DOOM 64. Like the OG games, there is not y-axis which I love and wished every FPS did that. The levels are just so brilliantly planned that you can get around so smoothly. The game will keep you on the edge of your seat. Muy bueno! 

My ordering is as such:
TNT
The Ultimate Doom
Doom 64 - though on PC this would be Number 1, but I am going by original ports.
Plutonia
Doom 2