Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

On 4/10/2020 at 2:26 PM, Dragonsbrethren said:

Playing the Master Levels in this really makes me wish we had a music change option in the menu.

I echo this completely.

I'm thinking of streaming the entire of the Doom series not as a marathon but just in parts if you get my drift .......anyway, I was thinking of including the master levels in this run but they all have the exact same music track which very off putting.

Were the master levels always released this way?

Edited by Eurisko

The original release is basically a bunch of loose single-level wads, except for that extra level (Bad Dream in teeth.wad) sneakily submitted by Sverre. There are no custom resources, except for a night sky on few of them (virgil.wad, minos.wad, nessus.wad, geryon.wad, vesperas.wad, combine.wad, manor.wad and ttrap.wad).

Most of these levels use the MAP01 slot, with no custom music, hence most of them will feature D_RUNNIN. As far I am concerned, I cannot stand them without loading these patches of mine, with the music picks of @Xaser.

fixes.zip

Quite a few of the Master Levels also end with you getting powerful weapons too late for them to matter, or in the case of one map, putting a rocket launcher on a teleporter exit!

22 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

Quite a few of the Master Levels also end with you getting powerful weapons too late for them to matter, or in the case of one map, putting a rocket launcher on a teleporter exit!

This is why I consider the PSX version of them to be the best, it actually has a sense of progression there and feels more like an actual episode than merely a compilation of maps.

Yep, it's just a shame some of the better levels like Black Tower and Titan's Trap were omitted due to size reasons so we got leftover turds like Catwalk and Subterra.

I swear I read on this very forum at least a month ago something about Tom Mustaine saying he put the Master Levels together in DEU when they were initially released to the public because he wasn't expecting them to be separate. I should really start bookmarking things like that. I tried asking about it on his website's page for Master Levels, because I'm so curious about the finer details compared to later combinations, but I haven't seen any response.

edit: FOUND IT. From this page:

Also, you mention that nobody you know of had combined the wad, well, It's one of the first things I did when I got my copy. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't put together in the first place, so I slapped all the levels into a single wad, put Sverre's levels in the right places for the special linedefs on map07 and the secret exit on map15. I was planning on releasing a deutex batch file that would slap the wad together for people, just never got around to doing so.

Edited by SiFi270

7 hours ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

Playing the Master Levels in this really makes me wish we had a music change option in the menu.

You can only listen to D_RUNNIN so many times before you wanna commit defenestration against it.

Doom Classic Complete (PS3) did include (yes, past simple) the Master Levels for Doom II as a proper megawad with a more or less logical progression. But I do not mind the loose levels. In fact, I prefer them, due to the skies mainly.

Alright, having played on Switch for a while, there's a couple issues I ran into:

1. Although the sleep mode freeze appears to be fixed, sometimes it just occurs anyways. It's pretty infrequent though.

2. Rarely in the middle of play, the title screen menu will pop up, as if the game thinks it's in the middle of a demo. It does not pause the game, which can still be controlled to an extent, but you also control the menu. There's no way to close the menu without starting a new game or loading a save.

14 minutes ago, SteelPH said:

1. Although the sleep mode freeze appears to be fixed, sometimes it just occurs anyways. It's pretty infrequent though.

That's what the patch notes said: it's better now but not fully fixed.

Improved behavior when starting the game out of sleep mode. There still may be cases that cause the game to lock up after awakening.

I was told to post this here since I was told I was more likely to get an answer here.

There seems to be something about this spot or map that can cause the game to crash if left idle , posting here just in case someone knows what's up or if this is a new bug.

Recently found out about version 1.0.6 and I been testing it out and I figure I'll give MAP30 a test, at first I thought it was the monster count but if I save often and don't idle the count can keep going so I don't know what else is happening, I usually leave the map up to keep track of the monster count and then idle so that monster infighting makes the count go up but that does seem to be it if I can make the count keep going up so maybe I'm getting pushed outside the level and that crashes the game. I don't know and I have yet to try idling without the map open yet. I done 3 tests so far and they both have been a crash. This is on the Switch Lite.

EVaaIheUYAAvylW.png

Do you mean having the map open for a long time causes a crash? Maybe some memory leak?

Seeing as I can only get it to crash with the automap open then yes, I can do more testing in the morning but I never had it crashed without the map so far. I do recall the map being bugged in the dos version as monsters can spawn outside the level but iirc you had to be playing for a very long time for that to happen.

Edit: After some more testing the game doesn't crash if I leave the game idle in the same spot with the automap closed.

Edited by Rexen²

So NEIS E4M7 has a bit of a gamebreaking bug, which I managed to trigger and quick save over it.

Edited by dustarma

Has PC players noticed when they go to the "Thank you for buying the game, check the Slayer's Club" banner in the rebinding menu with a controller, the cursor gets stuck unless you use a keyboard?

Welp, even though there hasn’t been an official announcement as of yet, @Jimmy’s “Deathless” is now part of the Elite Club of Officially Canon PWADs!

EDIT: It’s now official.

Edited by Man of Doom

3 minutes ago, Linguica said:

How can PWADs be canon when there are IWADs that aren't canon??

maybe because P comes after I in the alphabet?

I have a feeling that post is fake, though.

Straight-up, I’m currently playing through Deathless for the first time and I was just thinking how perfect an addition to the official addons it would be. Congratulations @Jimmy! You’ve freaking earned it!

Slayers Club also has the announcement post:

https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/645K63Q8tZugE01zUhelMa/new-add-on-deathless

and the interview with Jimmy:

https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/3XhNE2zFTqGXfK6YUF4SjW/nods-to-mods-interview-deathless

Announcement tweets will be out on the usual channels, they're just spacing them out in what has been a busy day of announcements for other games!

Shit! now i need this quarantine to go on so i can have spare time to play this one... on the never ending list i have of wads to play :S

46 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

You need to lurk more.

I know! I just checked it out, and found out it was real! I just played the first episode and a half!

Why do they say "over 25 levels" when it has 36? Sure, 36 is over 25, so it's technically correct (the best kind of correct, I know), but they're underselling it.