Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

How does DOOM 64 relate to DOOM Eternal?

I've heard that the lost levels for DOOM 64 were somehow related to the new DOOM timeline. How?

I haven't played the lost levels but at the end of doom 64 doomguy decides to stay in hell forever, suposedly this would lead to him meeting the night sentinels, and by extension, to the events of doom 2016 and doom eternal.

Doom 64 ends with Doomguy staying in Hell, the new episode contains a reference that hints in the direction of a unified canon, in 2016 you wake up in a sacrophagus found by the UAC during expeditions to hell, supposedly that's a sarcophagus the Doomguy was trapped in before the events of 2016.

The only real connection is subtle. The victory text for the Lost Levels quotes a phrase from the Doom 2016's "Slayer testament", specifically the bit about "the path of perpetual torment".

And this is all. If you want to read it as a connection, it's there, but it's faint enough to be dismissable if you prefer to keep your Doom storylines disconnected.

After the end of Doom 64, the marine stays in hell to ensure no more demons rise. During his exodus he encounters the people of Sentinel Prime and joins them in their battle against demonic hordes.

In a way, the Doomguy became space jesus by staying in Hell so we wouldn't have to suffer. The most metal character for fighting hell in a video game ever.

E: Which makes the new levels for Doom 64 funny because he's wrecking Hell so badly they can't even get rid of him, so another Motherdemon is like OMFG STOP and tries to deport him. Only to go back in anyway. You just don't tell the man to simply stop.

I thought it would be something simple like Doomguy dropped a bobblehead in hell and you pick it up in DOOM.

There's also the tablet and Sarcophagus near the end of Doom 3, I like to think that it's the same sarcophagus Doomguy was trapped in before they opened it later in 2016, but yeah as already stated they're just mere references and not truly connected, just leaves some room for us to imagine things, both 3 and 2016 are reboots.

31 minutes ago, sluggard said:

2016 are reboots.

Eternal outright confirms 2016 as a sequel rather than a full reboot so..

10 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:
Spoiler

Eternal outright confirms 2016 as a sequel rather than a full reboot so..

I still haven't played Eternal so, spoilers lol

23 minutes ago, sluggard said:

I still haven't played Eternal so, spoilers lol

At least I didn't spoil ingame lore stuff :P

I still think it's fairly clear at this point that the connection between Doomguy and Doomslayer has been made clear.

2 hours ago, sluggard said:

There's also the tablet and Sarcophagus near the end of Doom 3, I like to think that it's the same sarcophagus Doomguy was trapped in before they opened it later in 2016

But the sarcophagus in Doom 3 is from the ancient Martian civilisation, hundred of years ago. They buried their fabled hero in it. While hell in Doom 2016 puts Doom Slayer in some kind of stasis inside that other sarcophagus.

14 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

But the sarcophagus in Doom 3 is from the ancient Martian civilisation, hundred of years ago. They buried their fabled hero in it. While hell in Doom 2016 puts Doom Slayer in some kind of stasis inside that other sarcophagus.

Oh, then I guess that's less room for us to imagine things lol.