Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomKrakken

Embers Of Armageddon

424636897_EOALogo.png.2e1cc31ed63dd56fc61e9b4150d85092.pngAt long last, I am ready to share this mod with you guys and the world!

I am excited to announce the official public release of Embers Of Armageddon: a 2016-to-Doom partial conversion that attempts to faithfully recreate the weapons, items, combat mechanics, and upgrade systems of DOOM (2016) in GZDoom!

This mod is compatible with GZDoom 4.5.0 or later.

FULL DOWNLOAD (includes EOA Assets.pk3 and EOA Code.pk3)

Code-only download (includes only the EOA Code.pk3 file for code-only updates).

Link to the official Embers Of Armageddon Discord Server, to keep up with the latest updates!*

Also hit me up on ModDB, if you'd like!

Originally intended to be a proof-of-concept to recreate various challenges, upgrade effects, and upgrade systems of DOOM (2016), it became its very own fleshed out partial-conversion.  Over the past few years, ever since DOOM (2016) was released, I had been carefully observing behaviors for the weapons, items, combat mechanics, and upgrade systems of DOOM (2016).  I saw that others decided to make their own DOOM demakes, only to add many of their own liberties and critiques on the game itself to their mods.  I held that it was not only possible to faithfully recreate these aspects in a sourceport engine, but it would actually work and work well on its own.

And that was how the project was born! :D

I'm indebted to various members hailing from all walks of the Doom modding community.  Having showed others my project, many wanted to help with it in any way they could.  I am blessed to have gathered such a wonderful team of fellow fans!

Special thanks to my Godsends:
- Strongbelly
- Bryina
- Abysswalker
- Clay
- Simploo
- ScrubHead
- BerserkerNoir
- Major Cooke
- iamcarrotmaster
... and hopefully more to come in the future!

Also a shoutout to my various private alpha and public beta testers for helping me to improve the mod even to this day!

With that said... sit back, relax, and enjoy the mod! ;)

All credits are listed in CREDITS.txt, in the .pk3 file.  If any are missing, please let me know as soon as possible, so that I may remedy the error(s) as soon as possible.

*Note: the Discord server keeps newcomers in a welcome room until they announce themselves (much like the ZDoom Forums Discord Server), so that I or my moderators, having verified their humanity, can manually assign newcomers a role to grant them access to the rest of the Discord.

IMPORTANT: These are controls you must bind to utilize all functions and mechanics offered by EOA.  You can find these at the bottom of the EOA Settings menu:

Spoiler

Use Weapon Mod - AltFire
Switch Weapon Mod - Reload
Quick Melee/Glory Kill - Zoom
Jump/Double Jump - Jump (of course... XD)
Use Equipment - <custom keybind>
Cycle Equipment (Left) - <custom keybind>
Cycle Equipment (Right) - <custom keybind>
Upgrade Menu - <custom keybind>
Last Weapon Selected - <custom keybind>
Pistol - Slot 1
Combat Shotgun - Slot 2
Super Shotgun - Slot 3
Heavy Assault Rifle - Slot 4
Rocket Launcher - Slot 5
Plasma Rifle - Slot 6
Gauss Cannon - Slot 7
Chaingun - Slot 8
BFG-9000 - Slot 9
Chainsaw - Slot 0

Also, some screenshots for your viewing pleasure:

Spoiler

EOAscreenshot3.png
EOAscreenshot12.png
EOAscreenshot2.png
EOAscreenshot10.png
EOAscreenshot5.png
EOAscreenshot11.png
EOAscreenshot9.png
EOAscreenshot1.png
EOAscreenshot8.png
EOAscreenshot4.png
EOAscreenshot7.png
EOAscreenshot6.png

And a couple of gameplay demos:

Spoiler

Edited by DoomKrakken : Update.

I tried one of the earlier builds, this is, indeed, a pretty faithful recreation of Doom 2016.

Anyone looking for that, do give this a play! There won't be any regrets.

3 hours ago, Lampenpam said:

What are the main differences in EoA compared to Doom 4 Doom and Death4Told?

TL;DR - The mod works to act as much like DOOM (2016) as currently possible, taking as few liberties as possible so as to maintain faithful recreation of the weapons, items, combat mechanics, and upgrade systems of DOOM (2016) in GZDoom.  Read here for some of the differences between this mod and others:

Spoiler

D4D/D4T both take many liberties in their design and progression systems.  EOA attempts to stick strictly to the mechanics provided by DOOM (2016).  For example, if you want to obtain upgrades for your Praetor Suit, you must find an Elite Guard Corpse to fetch its Praetor Token, and it will play an animation for that.  Field Drones must be interacted with in order to retrieve mods, and mods will be available for you to purchase depending on what weapons are present in your inventory.  Mods are upgraded with weapon upgrade points, which are obtained by killing monsters, finding secrets, and completing challenges generated by an event handler.  Argent Cells will be grabbed, crushed, and then bring you to a menu where you can select whether it'll go to improving health, armor, or ammo capacity.  Runes can be obtained from Rune Trial Stones.  Unfortunately, there is no way I can have it transport you to another map to complete a Rune Trial, so it'll just give you one of two Runes of your choice.  Get both of those, and the next two will be available to choose from when you find another stone.  You can have options that determine how often these upgrade items spawn, how often you can obtain points, and a slew of other things.

Damage will be dealt in proportion to the original damage numbers fetched from the game's files itself.  Weapons will (or at least should) behave as they do in 2016, minus exploits (so, no exploit tricks like the DKSMS Byte Me is so fond of that allows you to instantly launch Siege Mode without having to charge it, shoutout to muh boi Byte).  You're able to mantle ledges, and the weapon will play an animation depicting it.  You have the same three Equipment you'd have in the campaign, which you'd find as you progress through the level.  Basically, every weapon and item works as well as you'd expect from 2016.

One thing I'm very proud of is the implementation of generic Glory Kills and item drops.  You may notice when you run this mod that there are no custom monsters from the mod itself.  I didn't have to program monsters to react in a special way to becoming staggered, or stunned, or to complete Mastery Challenges, or Upgrade Point Challenges, or to drop special items.  All of that was handled through the magic of ZScript, by way of Event Handlers, Thinkers, and Inventory items.  This is all to say, you could run it with just about any mapset with its custom monsters, and it should work for the most part. :D

Besides that, while this mod may use some of the same sprites as D4T, it doesn't use the same animations.  I've tilted many of the sprites for a more accurate representation of movement within weapon animations, and even implemented scaling of weapon sprites.  This was done not only for perspective purposes for smoother animation, but to compensate for GZDoom's 5:4 aspect ratio, so now the weapon sprites look more like their counterparts from DOOM (2016).  In addition to that, the animations for the Gauss Cannon's and Chaingun's mods were nonexistent, except in the case of Xaser's ARGENT mod, which I used as an inspiration for these missing mod-switching animations.  The Rocket Launcher's sprites have been expanded by some of my Godsends (Abysswalker and Clay) to include the missing lower half of the weapon, complete with handle, fist, and trigger finger.  When charging/firing a Charged Energy Shot with the EMG Pistol, the vents on the sides of the gun will expand, and the gun will be pointed more forward, and you'll see the other hand grab the gun for stability, just like in DOOM (2016) (this edit was done by Strongbelly).

This is just some of what EOA is able to offer you, in comparison to other DOOM-to-Doom mods.  It's here to offer you a more faithful and accurate representation of DOOM (2016)'s mechanics in GZDoom, as best as I could manage with 4 years of observation and a little bit of gameplay, and always with room to improve. :D

As someone who hates DooM 4, this mod is actually kinda fun. Might just be because the enemies are easier to deal with when using stock DooM 2 but zapping everything with the charge pistol is kinda fun to do. :)

3 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

As someone who hates DooM 4, this mod is actually kinda fun. Might just be because the enemies are easier to deal with when using stock DooM 2 but zapping everything with the charge pistol is kinda fun to do. :)

I do hope I can recreate the monsters some day.  One of my Godsends (Strongbelly) made an addon that attempts to do so, so you can try that out if you're feeling in a more DOOM (2016) mood.

I didn't include that in the description because that's a very outdated version of the mod.  That was the last version before this one, as this version drastically changed various aspects of the mod since that released version (including weapon sprite size).  The version you see there was released in November of last year.

Edited original post to include screenshots and gameplay footage.  Enjoy! :D

Credits to Strongbelly for the beautiful recordings!

Edited by DoomKrakken

Oh happy day for me, this is freakin' awesome!! I never knew this was even a thing till today. I always play DOOM and DOOM2 with BrutalDOOM version 19 because of the weapons, but this is even better. Also, I just flew across Canada 2 days ago and since I am stuck in my house for another 12 days this is going to make my quarantine go a lot smoother. Thank you so much all who are responsible.

Only downfall with it for me personally is this it lacks the enhanced monsters of BrutalDOOM. Cacodemons that can dodge rockets, Imps that jump at you, faster enemy projectiles, stuff like that. But I can get used to that no problem.

Edited by Korozive

52 minutes ago, Korozive said:

Oh happy day for me, this is freakin' awesome!! I never knew this was even a thing till today. I always play DOOM and DOOM2 with BrutalDOOM version 19 because of the weapons, but this is even better. Also, I just flew across Canada 2 days ago and since I am stuck in my house for another 12 days this is going to make my quarantine go a lot smoother. Thank you so much all who are responsible.

Only downfall with it for me personally is this it lacks the enhanced monsters of BrutalDOOM. Cacodemons that can dodge rockets, Imps that jump at you, faster enemy projectiles, stuff like that. But I can get used to that no problem.

Many thanks, this means a lot! :D

I do hope to program monsters with enhanced behaviors, someday.  I'm still not sure how evasive Cacos are in 2016, mainly because I hadn't been focusing too much on AI behavior.

In the meantime, if you know of any monster packs that have enhanced enemy AI, it'd be a good idea to run this mod with it.  EOA handles all of its mechanics generically, so you can run it with just about any monster pack and it should work... 99% of the time. ;)

Edited by DoomKrakken

4 hours ago, DoomKrakken said:

Many thanks, this means a lot! :D

I do hope to program monsters with enhanced behaviors, someday.  I'm still not sure how evasive Cacos are in 2016, mainly because I hadn't been focusing too much on AI behavior.

In the meantime, if you know of any monster packs that have enhanced enemy AI, it'd be a good idea to run this mod with it.  EOA handles all of its mechanics generically, so you can run it with just about any monster pack and it should work... 99% of the time. ;)

I will look and see what I can find. Because, to be honest, the first time a Caco dodged my rocket or an Imp jumped off a ledge on top of me. it was like shit just got real because the demons are upping their game. lol

23 hours ago, Korozive said:

I will look and see what I can find. Because, to be honest, the first time a Caco dodged my rocket or an Imp jumped off a ledge on top of me. it was like shit just got real because the demons are upping their game. lol

You could try Brutal Doom's monsters only edition, y'know.

TL;DR: I wouldn't suggest that.  I mean, it works... but more like Todd Howard's "It Just WorksTM."

Spoiler

Since EOA's systems work generically, it makes no modifications to the monsters themselves other than external manipulation with Event Handlers, Thinkers, and Inventory.  The biggest drawback here is that a headshot in Brutal Doom may not register as a headshot in EOA, because EOA's projectiles look for the top sixth of an actor's hitbox to determine whether or not a headshot had occurred in order to deal damage or count toward certain Mastery Challenges and upgrade effects (which works about 90% of the time... examples of times where it somewhat fails would be with Pinkies [which register it on the hump of their back] and Revenants [which register it at the nape of their neck]).  Brutal Doom relies on a completely different actor to register headshots and deal damage, and compensates for this by shortening the actual actor's height.

EOA currently has no way to accommodate for that by itself.  The only ways I can see such compatibility happening is if I collaborate with Sarge and PB devs to come up with a good standard procedure for registering headshots, or if Graf Zahl finally grants users the ability to override the base actor class so that all actors can use custom code... or at least allow for mixins to be added to the base actor class, to add to its functionality.  I'd have more of a chance of collaborating with PB devs, but PB devs and Sarge have had quite a bit of drama... and for base actor overrides, I hear it's easier said than done.

It'd be badass to go either direction, though. :D

2 hours ago, DarkShotX45 said:

You could try Brutal Doom's monsters only edition, y'know.

Thank you very much.

2 hours ago, DoomKrakken said:

TL;DR: I wouldn't suggest that.  I mean, it works... but more like Todd Howard's "It Just WorksTM."

Reveal hidden contents

Since EOA's systems work generically, it makes no modifications to the monsters themselves other than external manipulation with Event Handlers, Thinkers, and Inventory.  The biggest drawback here is that a headshot in Brutal Doom may not register as a headshot in EOA, because EOA's projectiles look for the top sixth of an actor's hitbox to determine whether or not a headshot had occurred in order to deal damage or count toward certain Mastery Challenges and upgrade effects (which works about 90% of the time... examples of times where it somewhat fails would be with Pinkies [which register it on the hump of their back] and Revenants [which register it at the nape of their neck]).  Brutal Doom relies on a completely different actor to register headshots and deal damage, and compensates for this by shortening the actual actor's height.

EOA currently has no way to accommodate for that by itself.  The only ways I can see such compatibility happening is if I collaborate with Sarge and PB devs to come up with a good standard procedure for registering headshots, or if Graf Zahl finally grants users the ability to override the base actor class so that all actors can use custom code... or at least allow for mixins to be added to the base actor class, to add to its functionality.  I'd have more of a chance of collaborating with PB devs, but PB devs and Sarge have had quite a bit of drama... and for base actor overrides, I hear it's easier said than done.

It'd be badass to go either direction, though. :D

Imma give it a try. Got nothing to lose really. If it works ok then great, if not well the mod is still a blast to play anyway. Whats fugged about all this is I have DOOM 2016 and a laptop with plenty of horsepower to run it. But here I am having more fun playing the original DOOM 2 with a mod that adds DOOM 2016 weapons and the like. Even my dog is giving me funny looks.

lol

To be honest, I'd love the mod to be compatible with everything.  I do wish we'd have a more universal way of handling headshots and dynamic hitboxes, but no such standard currently exists.

Just ran through the first 3 levels of one of my favorite wads, Back To Saturn 1, with brutal monsters and I have no issues to speak of. Having a helluva lot of fun actually. Thanks again man.

Edited by Korozive : typo

9 minutes ago, DoomKrakken said:

No problem. :D

Record some footage if you're able.  I like to see people rip and tear until it's done! :D

I have never recorded my gameplay before but I will figure that out and post something here.

It's ok.  It's just cool you played the mod and got it out there!  I saw quite a bit of good reception in your stream, watching the video. :D

Thanks again! :D

Alrighty peeps, time for a new update! :D

This will not require a new version of EOA Assets. Grab the code file from the code-exclusive download link (located underneath the full download link) if you already have EOA Assets.

Changelog:

Spoiler

===== v1.8 =====

- Fixed a bug where Powerup sounds were not properly precached (precache calls were not stored in the base class that would've defined them).
- Removed the SHOOTABLE flag from interactable actors, since they got in the way of certain progression sequences.
- Added an option to turn off the minimum sector light levels (will require a map restart to fully take place).
- Added an option to turn off Glory Kill highlights.
- Added an option to disable the custom crosshairs.
- Un-nullified GetViewZ.  It now compensates again for player's view-bobbing.
- The Mobile Turret will now clear all kill counters for the current deployment for the mastery challenge if it stalls.
- Added the UNDROPPABLE flag to the Thrust Boots.
- Added credits to Titlemap.txt.
- Jagged Shrapnel bleed damage increased to 8 per iteration (previously 2 per iteration).
- Jagged Shrapnel no longer forces damage every 4 iterations.
- Jagged Shrapnel now triggers with standard rocket detonations as well as remote detonations if External Payload is acquired.
- Changed various looping/ambient sounds to play at 75% volume.
- Changed various looping/ambient sounds to have dramatically reduced sound range.
- Changed the Automap Station's height to 32 (previously 42).
- Player now faces the top of the Automap Station's hitbox (previously middle).
- If the player has the Combat Shotgun start enabled, the Combat Shotgun will delay an additional 10 tics before raising to perform its pumping animation.
- Powerups no longer decrement in duration whenever a Glory Kill is being performed.
- Changed Ammo Crate to dispense ammo pickups for each ammo type simultaneously.
- Ammo crate pickups now have a tighter forward velocity for 1 tic before changing velocity to spread out.
- Removed all Textures.Archive TEXTURES entries.
- GetLedgeOffset now returns the offset for the highest mantleable ledge within the player's vicinity.
- Mantling a ledge no longer sets the Slayer's pitch to 0.
- Mantling animation now raises/lowers depending on how far up/down the Slayer is looking.
- Lowered mantling animation offset by 16 units.
- GetLedgeOffset now implements an angular check to see if there's room to mantle before attempting to do so (previously a quad-directional check).
- Doubled GetLedgeOffset's height check threshold.
- Removed GZF_3DRESTRICT from various calls to GetZAt.
- Moved calls to setting the UseEquipment weapon variable to False within code blocks pertaining to PSprite state jumps for their respective actions.
- Weapons that support external mods now play a clicking sound if Alt-Fire is pressed but no mod is equipped.
- The Rocket Launcher now plays a clicking sound if the Lock-On Burst is equipped and Alt-Fire is pressed, but there are no viable targets in sight.
- Mantling animation duration is now reduced by 5 tics.
- Removed calls to A_RadiusThrust in temporary items.
- Items can now get passively picked up if they touch the player, without the player needing any velocity.

Edited by DoomKrakken