Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ricky_steel

A very cool idea (in my opinion)

What about a Doom movie? I know it has been talked about before, but what about doing some kind of science fiction epic? The original story to Doom is not bad at all, just to short. I mean it's an intresting topic, about the evolvement of mankind that goes too far on these two moonbases. It would be a very cool movie with alot of incridible enviourments and pictures. And the story has to be very deep and traces a group of the marines on thier journey.. it would be cool to do a trilogy of films based on it, I mean one for every chapter of the original doom. Knee deep in the dead, The shores of hell and Inferno.

A history of the Doom movie in the DoomWorld forums:

doom movie.. what do you think?, begun by HAMMER-STROKE on 06-05-02

Wasn't there a hollywood movie of Doom?, begun by Kai on 03-17-02

Doom Movie Question, begun by KingKill33 on 12-23-01

isn't a doom movie?, begun by MyStiKaL_BiOn on 12-21-01

thoughts concerning a Doom movie..., begun by Prime on 11-22-01

DOOM movie, begun by bigbadgangsta on 08-09-01

On the Doom movie again, begun by Jeremy on 07-14-01

DooM - The Movie ?, begun by Renegade_Style on 07-04-01

Doom Movie, begun by RailGunner on 07-30-02

Any word on a movie???, begun by Affirmative on 08-18-02

Action figures, a new novel series and maby even a movie.. [kewl], begun by HAMMER-STROKE on 08-19-02

Doom, the movie, begun by WhileIM on 09-25-02

The Doom Movie, For Real This Time?, begun by Linguica on 09-25-02

if worst comes to worse..., begun by Ct_red_pants on 09-28-02

A very cool idea (in my opinion), begun by ricky_steel on 01-10-03

Somewhat out-of-date. I can't be arsed to update it right now. But you can see, Doom movie speculation has a long and storied history on these boards. :P

Hmm....I agree that the Doom storyline would make a good movie (IF it was done right) but I disagree about a team of marines. Doom is all about one marine, all the time, against insurmountable odds.

DooMBoy said:

Hmm....I agree that the Doom storyline would make a good movie (IF it was done right) but I disagree about a team of marines. Doom is all about one marine, all the time, against insurmountable odds.

Well, frankly, I would prefer to have a team of Marines, movies with just one character with no interaction with anybody else is bound to fail. It'd be boring, watching some big guy talking to himself, mumbling incoherent ramblings about "that damn key". A team of marines would be a fresh change and would build on the Doom story, or lack thereof.

BBG said:

Well, frankly, I would prefer to have a team of Marines, movies with just one character with no interaction with anybody else is bound to fail. It'd be boring, watching some big guy talking to himself, mumbling incoherent ramblings about "that damn key". A team of marines would be a fresh change and would build on the Doom story, or lack thereof.

Hmm, I still don't know. I'm pretty sure that the Doom marine wouldn't have to worry about finding keys, I think it'd be more of an action/horror type movie (IF it was done right) with emphasis squarely set on both horror and action, much like the original Doom.
And I'm sorry, the idea of a team of Marines who survived the Phobos invasion just doesn't seem like Doom to me.

BBG said:

movies with just one character with no interaction with anybody else is bound to fail.

I dunno, it could be something like Evil Dead 2, with one hard as nails guy, and various other people who appear throughout the film but get killed soon afterwards.

Mind you, Action Horror films with a team of people can still be really, really scary - just look at Resident Evil (which, incidentally, is probably the only decent game->film ever made). Admittedly, all the characters in Resident Evil except two do get killed by the end of the film, and even one of those two has started to mutate into an evil mutant thing ;)

WTF, This again?

Be silent now! Or you might encourage those freaks a Hollywood to finish what they started.

doom the movie would be like super mario brothers the movie at the worst and resident evil the movie at the possible best

either way, not really a movie i'd be interested in

If they did finally do a Doom movie, it'd have to be Alien 2-style. Definately. Like BBG said, with the team of marines.

Not only is was this thread redundant in the first place, but all the comments in it seem to have been said before anyway... Shouldn't this thread be closed? Or Helled?

Opulent said:

Evil Dead2 was great... it's all in his head. pretty cool. Raimi was all downhill after that.

Nonsense! Raimi has made excellent movies since then. Army of Darkness wasn't his fault (though I liked it regardless). The Hollywood suits kept messing with his plans on that one. Anyway, movies like "The Quick and the Dead" and the new Spider Man movie suggest he still has the skills to pay the bills.

In fact, Raimi is my first choice for a Doom movie, but only if he has Bruce Campbell play the space marine. He's gotta use the old Ash style from Evil Dead 2 for it to be a smash hit.

mewse said:

doom the movie would be like super mario brothers the movie at the worst and resident evil the movie at the possible best

resident evil, on it's own, was pretty good. but it wasn't really faithful enough to the game for my liking. i mean, christ almighty people, can't they correctly name the characters? you had jill and chris and hunk and technically claire. nevertheless i still enjoyed it, and hope nemesis (due this year, quicker than the first) will be as good on it's own. oh yeah, the fx in the movie was pretty crappy, but i liked it, very b-movie style. and i love b-movies.

monochrome said:

resident evil, on it's own, was pretty good. but it wasn't really faithful enough to the game for my liking. i mean, christ almighty people, can't they correctly name the characters? you had jill and chris and hunk and technically claire. nevertheless i still enjoyed it, and hope nemesis (due this year, quicker than the first) will be as good on it's own. oh yeah, the fx in the movie was pretty crappy, but i liked it, very b-movie style. and i love b-movies.

Well, it wasn't faithful because it told a story never told in the Resident Evil universe. The story of how Raccoon City itself got infected.

I don't think there should be a Doom movie. I think there should be a Doom cartoon, done like the first Heavy Metal (FAKK 2 was ass). Think about it. It starts out, the base, they explain why you're there, they show the scientists... blam, 45 minutes of the man on a mission tearing shit up.

It could work if there was, let's say, another human being giving him orders through a walkie talkie the whole time or something. There are cartoon movies with much less to them then that.

Well, RE is a crappy line of games anyway....i mean, it's capcom for fuck sake. anyway, half-life would make a great movie i think. doom, no, I don't want to see hollywood's rendition of the game we all love...that scares me more than the first time i came across a demon whilst playing

Quast said:

Well, RE is a crappy line of games anyway....i mean, it's capcom for fuck sake. anyway, half-life would make a great movie i think. doom, no, I don't want to see hollywood's rendition of the game we all love...that scares me more than the first time i came across a demon whilst playing

heh what?
You think half-life would make a great movie, but doom wouldn't?
That's funny as HL is a direct ripoff of doom.

Hehe, now I'm tempted to post the half-assed attempt I made at writing a sketch-out storyline for a Doom movie script.

Here's a rough outline of some of the script story (I won't post the actual story that I wrote, because that would belong in the fan fic forum):

Basically, I made it so that the Doomguy was alone at first, knowing next to nothing about where these creatures came from, then he comes across a scientist half-mad with fear who tells him a little, giving the doomguy some slight clues, before a possessed soldier kills him (the scientist).

The Doomguy is alone again for a bit, then meets a marine survivor and they fight the demons together. Not for long though, because a Hell knight rips the doomguy's little friend apart and he's alone again until he makes his way to the command control centre where he meets a UAC security guard in the comm room (who knows a little more than the marines that were stationed at the base, but still not much).

The guard tells the doomguy that the comm system is failing so they can't contact Earth, instead they make their way to the main control room (still in the Command Control centre which is a larger area within the base) where they meet up with two other marines who have barricaded themselves within this room (they let the doomguy and his companion in just in time to save them from a horde of demons).

A (non-possessed) commando (whom I've named Cadance as a sort of tribute to Wildman's "Incident on Tei Tenga story" - the first of his stories I ever read) shows up in the room they thought was secured against any incursion, revealing that they forgot a vent. Anyway, now they are five combat able soldiers, hiding away in this room.
One of them finds out that there's a critical malfunction of sorts somewhere in the base's life support system. The Doomguy and the commando (who's like a second hero in this story) volunteer to go and check out the source of this problem because the system doesn't function to well and can't pinpoint the problem exactly.

They find this machine, but there are an assload of demons and the commando holds off the demons, while the doomguy climbs down the maintenance hatch to fix the problem. Down below is like a labyrinth of claustrophobic hallways with lots of zombies, and we find the doomguy alone once again (but directed by one of his buddies through the radio). He finds the place and fixes the problem and he returns back up where his commando buddy is just about to be consumed by the demons when the doomguy rushes to his aid.

They make it back to safety......and that was really as far as I got. I then intended that they should get some of the systems online, and one of them (one of them is technically minded) hacks into a computer and finds out about the gateway and that it is the source of the demons. Then I wanted them to fight their way to the gateway and somehow have the doomguy and the commando separated from the others, before they come across the gateway. I wanted to have them try and turn it off, but apparently something on the other side keeps it open so they enter the gateway...and find themselves in Hell, where a cyberdemon kills the commando (*sob* one of the heroes DIED! *bohoo*) and the doomguy kicks its ass..but only just.

What was supposed to follow was like a two-sided story: the doomguy's quest all alone in Hell and on the other side his friends having been completely lost and trying to fight for their lives.

Didn't Gooberman have a badass story thread running around here somewhere? Whatever happened to that?

DC

IMJack said: IMJack's links

Fuggin' a! I didn't know this thread was done so many damn times.

I think it's better never to make a Doom-movie. There's no way a movie can reach the same atmosphere we've seen in the games. It'll be different. Maybe just as scary, but still different. It's just like beautiful women, it's better to keep fantasying about them. Because once you know them, they'll start losing their aura.

They'll probably go for a shitty approach anyway. I can't think of a director or a producer with the same love for Doom as we have.

Ultraviolet said:

Not only is was this thread redundant in the first place, but all the comments in it seem to have been said before anyway... Shouldn't this thread be closed? Or Helled?

For what, people having a nice, non flaming conversation?

plz2buy a clue, kthx.

IF there ever were to be a Doom movie, I'd want the producers to base it off of the novels by Brad Linaweaver and Dafydd Ab Hugh. The first two were good, the last two sucked. I have them around here somewhere, maybe I'll read Knee-Deep in the Dead for the 7th time...

Doom movie will suck. Hollywood will just fuck things up.

Doom books suck. Authors have no sense of reality. Or brains.

ravage said:

Doom movie will suck. Hollywood will just fuck things up.

Doom books suck. Authors have no sense of reality. Or brains.

I dunno... I sometimes get Lost Soul to read them to me as a bedtime story ;)

A Doom movie based on the Novels is pretty close to the worst possible direction they could ever take it. The storyline in these novels suck so bad...
..and I'm ignoring the last two here.

Alien artefacts on Mars that turn out to be gateways for aliens....psaw! lame!