Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrancisT218

No Chance/Sunder 'esque' levels?

Basically what the title says. I'm looking for levels that are anything from medium to very large, highly detailed, and offer oppressive difficulty on UV. I've already been through Sunlust and other solo work from danne/Ribbiks. Plus some single levels - Torn, Breathless, Entropy.

(I tried the SF wads and SMAX too, but the early levels have not impressed me so much...any gems in those that are perhaps more like it?)

Cryogenics

Flotsam

Dimensions

Disparate Realities

Death in Excess

Summer of '69 (m05)

still SF3/SMAX, just cherrypick

Edited by rdwpa

I'll skip what's been listed already.  I will say I can vouch for the quality of what was already mentioned by Noob and rdwpa. 

New Gothic Movement 1 & 2

Strange Place

Phmlspd

Eden

Ovum

Disciples of Darkness

Miasma

Behemoth

Disjunction

Slaughterfest 2011(definite cherry picking required)

Slaughterfest 2012

Cybersky

Deus Vult 2

Feck Yoo

Time of Maps

Bloodlust

Dark Resolution 2008

Oscillation

Black Room

The Secret Energy

Plutonium Winds

Combat Shock 1 and 2

Water Spirit

Dank Midis and Linedefs

Shai'tan's Luck

Tangerine Nightmare, particularly map 10

Altitude

Death-Destiny maps in general

DyingCamel's Demons 1, 2, 3 (mostly the latter maps)

Avactor 

Lost Civilization

Not all of these have "oppressive difficulty on UV" from the get-go or gameplay alike the examples you put, but do offer large/lengthy highly detailed maps worth checking. 

Lots of stuff, wow! :) I really could not find any 'cherries' to speak in SF2011 and then the early levels of the later iterations did not impress me a lit either, but I'll look deeper. Wonder if Rayzik, Demonologist, and Archi also have solo work that might fit (they are also reasonably prominent in SF2012/SF3).

2 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

Wonder if Rayzik, Demonologist, and Archi also have solo work that might fit (they are also reasonably prominent in SF2012/SF3).

As far as I know, Rayziik is currently working on their own big thing, Demonologist has solo works, and Archi made Rush and its unfinished sequel

I just remembered a phmlspd/sunder-esque wad called "Mystery 1" exists, and on the other side this and this (unfortunately they received little feedback, both are nice imo), so there you have more :) 

There is Rush by Archi and Realm of Demonology by Demonologist.

loveless mentioned feckyoo and if that is up your alley, then you might want to check out other gggmork maps for he had a pretty unique and eccentric style. I don't think his single maps are in idgames but many have demos in DSDA, usually by gggmork himself (https://dsdarchive.com/players/gggmork). I found crapmap, fffart01-03, g08, impsev2, justgo and pockets. Now I don't remember half of these so quality may vary.

Aside from XXXI Cybersky, which is amazing by the way, there are also a few other similar maps by Eternal: Generator of Evil, Belial's Bad Brain, map05 of 32 Inch Nails for starters. I wouldn't call any of these (including XXXI Cybersky) "oppressing difficulty", more like accessible slaughter or something. They are huge and fun maps with a shit ton of monsters to kill though.

Darkwave000 single maps might fit the bill as well. I see only two in dsda (https://dsdarchive.com/wads?letter=d), darkwave17 and darkwave32 but I'm pretty sure I remember there being a few more? I might have to check my old computer if I can find more... Pretty much all Darkwave000 maps are top quality so highly recommended.

Slightly off topic but could anyone link or post Darkwave24, seems like I've lost the file and all links i've found are dead.

Mayhem Orange 2018 map 21 by Wilou-84 

Mayhem Purple 2018 map 31 by Killer5

@tourniquet @Veinen I've got darkwave 5 & 24 in a zip below. I dunno where to upload them so they just sat on my comp :P

Edit: Both of these levels are on /idgames now

Edited by Catpho

@VeinenSince you're in this thread, I wanted to mention I did play Predator, your DMP2017 level, a little while back - after seeing it was rated Insane. Not ultra detailed, maybe more like AV or HR on that regard, but an awesome level for brutality still! :) Do you have any others? That reminds me, still need to check Six Tricks by Jjp (though that one looks pretty underdetailed) and Skindustrial Core by @Spectre01 - both also Insane in that pack.

Heh well I am glad you enjoyed it, I'm not sure if many others have since it's perhaps a wee bit overkill in hindsight. But that was my only legitimate foray into mapping (so far, at least, never say never I guess...) so no more from me I'm afraid.

Looks like darkwave5 (this level is short and not hard) and darkwave24 were the only other Darkwave000 single maps I had in my old comp as well. For more Darkwave action, all three installations of the 3 Heures d'agonie series have a very chunky Darkwave000 map at map28/29.

Maps 22 and up in mlm12.wad (mini-level megawad)

Map 27 in 3hafinal.wad

Map 31 in 3ha2.wad

Maps 30 and 32 in 3ha3.wad

Maps 24, 26 and 29 of 5room.wad

Maps 27, 29 and 32 of 32in24-14.wad

Speed of Doom (last few maps, can't believe nobody's posted this one yet).

Really most community projects with have at least one map like that somewhere in the last few or secret maps. 

HR2 map 32 if you haven't played it always gave me good run. 

Edited by General Rainbow Bacon

@General Rainbow Bacon Level 30 from 5room looks pretty extreme as well...maybe even the most extreme...

Re darkwave...he's done more than I was aware! I knew about SoD and 3ha levels, but he's got one in Resurge too. The darkwave## levels wasn't aware of either, wonder if there's others. From a quick peak:

05 - Seems like it might almost be just an ordinary level

17 - This must have been done deliberately as ugly as possible, and you don't even get an automap! Looks like some kind of half-joke lol

25 - Seems like a copy of his PRCP level

24/32 - These look like proper slaughtermaps

In the OP you mentioned that you couldn't find anything worth it in smax or the slaughterfests.  In smax look at map 09, 11, 19, 28, and 29.  

SF 2012: 14, 25, 27, 28, 30.  30's really really long.  

SF3: 27 and 30 are the only real large scale ones.  

SMAX the text says the HNTR dificulty is hardest. But Level 28 has by far the most monsters on UV (Max). Was this level not configured to have HNTR hardest or is it still harder? I can't tell from the start. Hopefully @General Rainbow Bacon or even @antares031 can answer here.

@TimeOfDeath is definitely showing up in my mirror, ESP1 looks like it might have the most levels that interest me including his SF ones...most of ESP2 seems based on only a few unique concepts (like reality or no health) and I won't be playing ESP2's levels in ESP2 itself cause I CANNOT STAND the music (sorry ToD...).

8 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

^you can change the music by loading another wad.

You can also simply disable the music.

A lot of ESP2 is based around only a few concepts though, either no health or reality. 50shades Level 16 is there but 50shades.wad has a music that is 100,000 times better than either no music or the ESP2 music would be. UDINO E4M9 is another highlight, but there is a thread to get that easily.

14 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

SMAX the text says the HNTR dificulty is hardest. But Level 28 has by far the most monsters on UV (Max). Was this level not configured to have HNTR hardest or is it still harder?

MAP28 on HNTR is still more difficult to deal with, compare to UV, since there are total 208 arch-viles on HNTR, while UV only has 43.

Some Kama Sutra maps lean towards being long/slaughterish, but really they predate the current conception of slaughter (and particularly the sunder-centric set piece heavy stuff). Ditto Plutonia 2, plutonia community project (I forget the acronym), and Scythe 2 -- great wads, some long maps, not really ever slaughter in the modern sense but I think they're worth a look.

Has Untitled2 been mentioned yet? (And also in that vein, Holy Hell and DV1)

So I've browsed through most of the suggestions for a glance - a lot of levels with (near) Sunderesque scale and aesthetic - would keep me busy a while! But any closer to No Chance/DD-type levels not already mentioned?

6 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

But any closer to No Chance/DD-type levels not already mentioned?

You may want to have a look at Erik Alm's eaxt.wad.