Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WowozuelaSpammer

I want to start speedrunning The Ultimate Doom

What exactly is your question? How to set up the command line? If so, just get a document, type in something along the lines of:

glboom-plus –iwad doom2.wad –file XXX.wad -warp X -skill X -complevel X -record XXXX-

Example: glboom-plus –iwad doom2.wad –file S666.wad -warp 4 -skill 4 -complevel 2 -record s604-

* - the "doom2" part, obviously, changes depending if you're playing a UDoom, Doom 2, Final Doom, etc. WAD.

You then need to rename the file to... anything, then add .bat at the end. That should do the trick.

I hope that's what you want.

2 hours ago, Poncho1 said:

What exactly is your question?

My question is how to start, what do i need and all that, the tutorial said about PRBoom+ but i don't have Boom, i have DOSBox and ZDoom.

That's the question, the basics, the software, how to mount it in-game, etc

1. Download crispydoom if you like the original MAPS. Download Prboom+/Glboom+ if you like original maps + custom gameplay.

2. Once you have downloaded either CrispyDoom or Prboom+/Glboom+, then you have to move Doom.wad or Doom2.wad to the main directory of your sourceport. For example C:\crispydoom\ *drop WAD here*

3. Now, make a shortcut out of your crispydoom.exe or prboom+/glboom+.exe

4. RIGHT CLICK on the shortcut. Click Properties. Target is something like: C:\Crispydoom\crispy-doom.exe

5. Now modify the Target to look something like this: C:\Crispydoom\crispy-doom.exe -iwad doom.wad -skill 4 -record mydemoname -nomusic

Here the "-iwad doom.wad" uses Doom1 as the maingame (instead of Doom2, which has additional monsters + supershotgun). -skill 4 = ultraviolence. -record mydemo records a demo. -warp 2 2 = warps into E2M2. Warp 22 = warp into Map20 (no episodes present).

You get Doom.wad or Doom2.wad by purchasing the game. Do not buy the BFG version, though.

Ah. Well, simply download Boom! You can use either PrBoom or GlBoom. Make sure your .bat file is in the same... uh, file, as the source port.

Frankly, I'm not the expert. You may want to ask one of the admins, or someone who does speedruns more than I do.

1 minute ago, Looper said:

You get Doom.wad or Doom2.wad by purchasing the game. Do not buy the BFG version, though.

You could get the BFG Edition, since I found the WAD files for the original Doom and Doom 2 games while browsing my Steam documents. Dunno if that's orthodox or not, but there you go.

Just now, TheStupidestBeing said:

I already have TUD from Steam

Good. Now try to locate Doom.wad or Doom2.wad in your steam folder, and copy it into your CrispyDoom or PrBoom+ folder.

1 minute ago, Looper said:

Good. Now try to locate Doom.wad or Doom2.wad in your steam folder, and copy it into your CrispyDoom or PrBoom+ folder.

Ok, guess i will try that, wish me luck

7 hours ago, Looper said:

1. Download crispydoom if you like the original MAPS. Download Prboom+/Glboom+ if you like original maps + custom gameplay.

2. Once you have downloaded either CrispyDoom or Prboom+/Glboom+, then you have to move Doom.wad or Doom2.wad to the main directory of your sourceport. For example C:\crispydoom\ *drop WAD here*

3. Now, make a shortcut out of your crispydoom.exe or prboom+/glboom+.exe

4. RIGHT CLICK on the shortcut. Click Properties. Target is something like: C:\Crispydoom\crispy-doom.exe

5. Now modify the Target to look something like this: C:\Crispydoom\crispy-doom.exe -iwad doom.wad -skill 4 -record mydemoname -nomusic

Here the "-iwad doom.wad" uses Doom1 as the maingame (instead of Doom2, which has additional monsters + supershotgun). -skill 4 = ultraviolence. -record mydemo records a demo. -warp 2 2 = warps into E2M2. Warp 22 = warp into Map20 (no episodes present).

Well, i did all that, i recorded a demo, but how do i play it?

Dragging the demo file onto your source port .exe should work so long as the relevant .wad files are still in the same folder. If you want to play it using a shortcut or .bat file, put "-playdemo x.lmp" into the command line (and remove "-record x").

On 4/8/2020 at 12:39 AM, almostmatt1 said:

Dragging the demo file onto your source port .exe should work so long as the relevant .wad files are still in the same folder. If you want to play it using a shortcut or .bat file, put "-playdemo x.lmp" into the command line (and remove "-record x").

I drag the demo into the Crispy Doom .exe but it doesn't play the demo, it just starts the game

dragging demos files into the source port .exe doesn't work for crispy, instead use the .bat method mentioned in almostmatt1's post

3 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

Well, this was my first attempt at speedrunning ever.

IWAD: doom.wad

Map: E1M1

Time: 11 seconds

Category: UV Fast

e1m1 speedrun.zip

A few things:

1) That is not a UV-Fast. That would be a UV-Speed.

2) Demos usually go to their assigned "WAD topic". So, for example, yours would either go to the Ultimate Doom demos or non-WR demos topics.

I guess you could let the second one go since it's your first attempt, but just a heads-up for the future.

4 hours ago, depr4vity said:

dragging demos files into the source port .exe doesn't work for crispy

Ooh I didn't know that, I've only ever watched demos with PrBoom+. Good to know. 

33 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

What's the difference between both?

UV-Speed is: exit as fast as possible on ultra-violence

UV-Fast is: Kill all monsters and get all the secrets with the -fast parameter. -fast parameter makes the monsters a lot faster.

3 hours ago, almostmatt1 said:

Ooh I didn't know that, I've only ever watched demos with PrBoom+. Good to know. 

GLBoom+ just created a shortcut for *.lmp files, so basically you can double click it and play the demo. If the parameters setup up correctly, you don't need to do anything, but sometimes I need to click something in the launcher. I guess sometimes I didn't put in the parameters correctly, or I used Crispy Doom/CnDoom.