Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mad Dal 85

What's going wrong here?

Question

Top pic, a 3D platform done as a light and how it looks in the builder.

Bottom pic, and it's invisible during game play. 😔

Anyone any ideas why? I have no idea why it shows on the builder but not in gameplay.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200416_052604.png

27 answers to this question

The issue may be your sourceport/renderer of choice, an example for why is that sloped 3d floors are not supported by Zandronum's software renderer (They'll work, but they will also be invisible).

Please specify sourceport, and the cause of the problem might be a bit more clear.

1 hour ago, Alper002 said:

The issue may be your sourceport/renderer of choice, an example for why is that sloped 3d floors are not supported by Zandronum's software renderer (They'll work, but they will also be invisible).

Please specify sourceport, and the cause of the problem might be a bit more clear.

GZDOOM source port.

Mapping format: 'GZDoom: DOOM II (Doom in UDMF)' 

I wanted to do some fancy lighting. I managed to create a 3d slope and it appeared in the past and it worked fine.

Maybe I'm tagging the sector before making the 3d slope itself or something else I'm doing wrong? 🤔 If it worked in the past, then I must be doing something wrong, but what, I don't know. 🤷🏻‍♂️

With regards to GZDoom, Specify. What version is it?

Also, could you show what it looks like in a non-visual mode?

The two pictures above shows what it's like, both visual mode and gameplay. Or do you mean a screenshot of the editor?

My computer is old (not sure how old) so GZDoom v3.3.2 is highest version that will work. Any higher requires OpenGL which my computer doesn't have because it's old. I bought it second-hand. 

I am referring to an editor screenshot, yes.

That version of GZDoom should support sloped 3d floors, since you've clearly used them before.

Maybe consider checking if the dummy sector is correctly aligned with the sector that has the 3d floor. That is necessary for sloped 3d floors to work.

Edit:Actually maybe not, it wouldn't show in-editor if that was wrong iirc

Here's what it looks like in the editor.

The video I saw about how to create them is about 8 years old so it should work seeing as GZDoom wasn't as powerful back then and it worked back then. 

editor.png

4 minutes ago, iconofeggsafe666 said:

Change your renderer to OpenGL, then turn off texture filtering in Texture Options. Thank me later.

My computer doesn't have OpenGL. If it did, I would have the latest version of GZDOOM instead of an older version. 

If it won't appear for me, I'll keep making it as I planned to do. No doubt it will work for other people so they'll get to enjoy it.

38 minutes ago, Mad Dal 85 said:

My computer is old (not sure how old) so GZDoom v3.3.2 is highest version that will work.

That raises my eyebrows, because 3.32 was an intermediate release that supports both OpenGL 3 and 2.

• If your PC can't support any higher version, then it likely does not use the GL3 renderpath but the GL2 one.
  • If GL2, then there are more modern options avialable.
38 minutes ago, Mad Dal 85 said:

Any higher requires OpenGL which my computer doesn't have because it's old. I bought it second-hand. 

GZDoom requires OpenGL so if you can run 3.3.2 you are using it.

I'd like to know what your hardware precisely is. Please run the following two programs:

And post their results as a screenshot here.

10 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

That raises my eyebrows, because 3.32 was an intermediate release that supports both OpenGL 3 and 2.

• If your PC can't support any higher version, then it likely does not use the GL3 renderpath but the GL2 one.
  • If GL2, then there are more modern options avialable.

GZDoom requires OpenGL so if you can run 3.3.2 you are using it.

I'd like to know what your hardware precisely is. Please run the following two programs:

And post their results as a screenshot here.

My computer isn't hooked up the internet at the moment. Been posting on here using my mobile phone. From what I can make it from the tech specs, my computer Windows 7 that was built in 2009 so it's 11 years old 😮 probably why a lot of things show up in the editor but not in gameplay.

Ram: 2gb

500gb hard disk

Processor: AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00Ghz

System Type: 32-bit Windows 7 Professional 

Rating: 3.4 out of 7.9

Had to look all this up through Control Panel. I tried opening the latest versions of GZDOOM and all I keep getting is 'OpenGL not accelerated' or something like that. Gawd knows what that means.

11 minutes ago, Mad Dal 85 said:

My computer isn't hooked up the internet at the moment. Been posting on here using my mobile phone. From what I can make it from the tech specs, my computer Windows 7 that was built in 2009 so it's 11 years old 😮 probably why a lot of things show up in the editor but not in gameplay.

That's roughly my PC.

11 minutes ago, Mad Dal 85 said:

Had to look all this up through Control Panel. I tried opening the latest versions of GZDOOM and all I keep getting is 'OpenGL not accelerated' or something like that. Gawd knows what that means.

That means GZDoom is not getting accelerated as of this moment. Likely because there is no OpenGL driver it can point to or its too old.

Not seeing any GPU specs. Can you look up the Device Manager? Its to the left of where that screenshot is situated :) It will showcase a whole series of submenu's. Click all of these open and screenshot the result.

Additionally: If possible, Go to Start -> Run -> DXDiag.

9 minutes ago, Mad Dal 85 said:

Is this it?

devman.png

Yes. See those little triangles? Those are additionally drop down menus. You can click them all, but i like to see the following:

• Computer
  • Display Adapters
  • Monitors
  • Network Adapters
  • Portable devices
  • Processors
  • Sound, video and game controllers

For now. :)

The portable device is my phone, and the net can't be run through it. My phone is cheap piece of crap and won't allow it

devman2.png

2 minutes ago, Mad Dal 85 said:

The portable device is my phone, and the net can't be run through it. My phone is cheap piece of crap and won't allow it

devman2.png

Voila, found your answer :) Your GPU is a Radeon X1200 series GPU. That's an integrated graphics processor. This is absolutely ancient for GZDoom. OpenGL3 won't work there at all because the GPU simply does not support it.

Ill advise you to use LZDoom 3.85 instead. LZDoom has an OpenGL 2.0 renderer and supports most of the GZDoom feature set. Alternatively, download ZDoom32 2.85c. This also includes an OpenGL2 renderer.

Both ports are maintained by @drfrag.

At least we know you have a semi-proper, if ancient graphics adapter -an ATI X1200. That should support SOME form of OpenGL (2.0 I think), but I dunno if that's enough for the newfangled GZDoom -I recall it just dropped support for ATI cards at some point.

At least I know what's causing the errors most of the time lol. The person I got it from never told me how old the thing is when I got it.

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

Voila, found your answer :) Your GPU is a Radeon X1200 series GPU. That's an integrated graphics processor. This is absolutely ancient for GZDoom. OpenGL3 won't work there at all because the GPU simply does not support it.

Ill advise you to use LZDoom 3.85 instead. LZDoom has an OpenGL 2.0 renderer and supports most of the GZDoom feature set. Alternatively, download ZDoom32 2.85c. This also includes an OpenGL2 renderer.

Both ports are maintained by @drfrag.

Thanks 👍

All good answers above, but just in case anyone missed this detail when reading this in the future:

GZDoom's software-renderer mode simply does not support sloped 3D floors. They're too advanced for it, so they'll be invisible in game. Normal 3D floors will show up fine though. 

2 hours ago, iconofeggsafe666 said:

Try and update to the latest version of GZDoom, or alternatively LZDoom, then put all your IWADS there.

It's my graphics card, not the source ports. My computer is old but can't afford a new one just yet.