Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

Nukeage flooding.

Question

Hello! My map has an ocean visible in some playable areas, and I thought it would be neat if the main outdoor area under the ocean would flood with nukeage after the player goes through a reactor/nukeage area of some kind while trying to get the blue key. My issue is that I can't figure out how to change floor textures without lowering them. My idea would be that the floor level raises when there's a nukeage flood. Here are some pictures of the map to hopefully give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

[I'm editing using Doom Builder 2 in Zdoom Hexen Format, and I am testing using GZDoom]

Screenshot_Doom_20200417_175449.png.c130f664512fe594dfa1c058ba588c69.png

Here is what I managed to make with my limited knowledge. The main pool was lowered 1 unit to a puny sector hidden on the edge of the pool, and the surrounding areas the grass, and the little streams, were lowered by two separate linedef triggers. (I needed three so the slime texture would be unified across the various floors. For example, the center sector in the pool wouldn't change texture when lowered with the same sector tag). The My plan is to somehow raise the whole floor to a unit above where the grass sits in the first image.

Screenshot_Doom_20200417_175541.png.22e234eddcd78100d8072255cb8a225b.png

Here's a view of the map from the editor. If I figure out how to do this, I'll modify the area to better accommodate the nuke damage. But what I want to flood begins with the door near the upper left and ends below the staircase thing in the center. Essentially the whole area. 

676571282_FloodQSnip.png.9e2aecdccd39dc098201857a86e46fba.png

Now two more final questions. Doing this, how would it be possible to have the floor damage the player after the slime has been raised, and would it also be possible to have some flesh pillars rise out of the slime after the player gets the red key?

With regards to the second question; my plan is for the map to change drastically after they get the key, i.e. flesh pillars rising up, blocking doors and opening up some monster traps, essentially changing the layout to many areas the player has already been to. You can see a hint of what I'm talking about with the pink flesh texture sticking out of the slime in the second picture. I'm sure I can do this on my own, but I don't know if it will be possible to do the hellgrowth in this area with a slime flood as well.

5 answers to this question

It's been a little bit since I've looked at db, so my memory on actions is getting fuzzy, but if there is no way to directly raise and change sector properties you could use the lower floor (change texture/sector effects) action as an instapop up, which would satisfy both of your needs. Beyond that would be the question of it the player will be able to see this happen and therefore if you need it to raise visibly rather than instapop up. If that's the case then i would guess that using the lower floor action by 1 pixel like you did before and raising up from there would be your best bet.

One additional thing, using joined dummy sectors might help a lot with this type of setup over using tiny sectors attached to each moving floor.

Hope this helps!

7 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

I couldn't figure out how to string the three scripts together. If I can it'll help eliminate the five triggers.

You're really overcomplicating it ;) You can just have one trigger that runs a script. Like this:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script "turn_to_nukage_v1" (void)
{
    Floor_MoveToValue(1, 1, -8, 0);
    ChangeFloor(1, "NUKAGE1");
    SetSectorDamage(1, 5);

}

But that's not really convincing.

Thinking about it, another easy approach would be to use a 3D floor for the rising nukage. Add the 3D floor to all sectors where you want the nukage the rise, set the 3D floors ceiling below the floor of those sectors, then raise the ceiling.

I attached an example map. The third room uses the 3D floor approach. The first room uses the script I posted above, the second room a more complex (and more convincing) version of the script. But it pretty much looks like the 3D floor approach, so there's no much use of it, really.

Example: turn_to_nukage.zip

1 hour ago, boris said:

Since you're mapping for ZDoom you should simply use scripts.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/ChangeFloor

https://zdoom.org/wiki/SetSectorDamage

This worked very well, thank you very much!

I have around two and a half braincells dedicated for programming, so I don't know what the fuck I am doing. I managed to get the floor texture to change, as per your link, but I am unable to figure out nor find how to set the floor height on all selected sectors to the same height value without problems.

Below is what I've managed to achieve so far. (OLD)

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200417_204050.png.0793621f3f03b0834758318382d8c0d2.png

Edit: Figured out how to raise the floors. Altough it's a tad sloppy. If you have any alternative methods of executing this let me know please!

Screenshot_Doom_20200417_213234.png.3f5d562c3809c0cc2dfc1da8b96fa04f.png2050717180_SloppyTriggers.png.7c942a2b74a916d40a992c65516433a4.png

My solution was to have five seperate triggers, three for the Nukage texture in three separate sets of sectors, and the other two to raise the two sets of sectors that are lower than the other two. I couldn't figure out how to string the three scripts together. If I can it'll help eliminate the five triggers.

Edited by BluePineapple72

7 hours ago, boris said:

You're really overcomplicating it ;) You can just have one trigger that runs a script. Like this:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script "turn_to_nukage_v1" (void)
{
    Floor_MoveToValue(1, 1, -8, 0);
    ChangeFloor(1, "NUKAGE1");
    SetSectorDamage(1, 5);

}

But that's not really convincing.

Thinking about it, another easy approach would be to use a 3D floor for the rising nukage. Add the 3D floor to all sectors where you want the nukage the rise, set the 3D floors ceiling below the floor of those sectors, then raise the ceiling.

I attached an example map. The third room uses the 3D floor approach. The first room uses the script I posted above, the second room a more complex (and more convincing) version of the script. But it pretty much looks like the 3D floor approach, so there's no much use of it, really.

Example: turn_to_nukage.zip

Ah thanks a bunch! I’ll be sure to update this thread when I get around to doing it!