Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LucidLocomotive

Does anybody know why the console port of The Master Levels is ordered the way that it is?

The level order in the PC Master Levels is alphabetical, but in the current Classic Doom port on modern consoles, the levels are arranged in a different order. Does anyone know the logic behind the ordering? 

Good question, would like to know for certain as well. My first guess is that it's ordered in terms of difficulty but there's a few outliers, so it can't be that.

From what I see, it's a mix of whose collection of maps in an alphabetical order and then gave up on the latter. and just went "fuck it". The last two maps of the TEETH series is understandable because they ate up a slot for secret levels.

The current Doom Classic arrangement of the Master Levels follow the previous Doom Classic release on PSN btw.

Can you share a screenshot of the list? I don't have this port and the doomwiki page of the master levels hasn't been updated yet.

Edit: nevermind. Found in google images.

Edited by dmslr

It's in order of which Doom 2 map they replace, and any maps in the same spot are arranged alphabetically.

5 hours ago, dmslr said:

Can you share a screenshot of the list? I don't have this port and the doomwiki page of the master levels hasn't been updated yet.

Edit: nevermind. Found in google images.

the image of the list in Doom Classic Unity port is already in the doomwiki page though.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Master_Levels_for_Doom_II

Xbox order is by alphabetical order of the file names.

PSN order is by map slot first, and within a map slot, it is alphabetical.

For the PSX order, the start isn't strictly alphabetical, since it goes ATTACK - VIRGIL - CANYON - COMBINE - CATWALK before resuming proper alphabetical order. I suppose they started with alphabetical order, then after some playtesting shuffled VIRGIL and COMBINE around a bit. As a MAP03, VIRGIL isn't really a followup to VESPERAS' MAP09, and likewise I suppose COMBINE was found easier than CATWALK.

I thought it was always by the developer who made it, but now I would agree with SiFi270.

8 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

It's in order of which Doom 2 map they replace, and any maps in the same spot are arranged alphabetically.