Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Should I Get Doom 3?

Yes

And before you ask, yes, you should get Resurrection of Evil.

No, do not get BFG Edition, I played a lot of Doom 3 in my time and BFG is just a bad incarnation (I mean it's a fine game still but classic Doom 3 just has more going for it in terms of what made Doom 3 good)

4 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

do not get BFG Edition

The only reason to get that version is for Doom and Doom II if you somehow don't have those games.

Yes, get the original and use a source port.

I would have actually recommended the BFG edition tbh, but its main issue is that it has cut content from the OG game, iirc RoE has a whole map missing somewhere I think. But otherwise, I don't see BFG edition as bad as others make it be.

1 hour ago, seed said:

iirc RoE has a whole map missing somewhere I think.

I don't recall BFG Edition RoE missing a map anywhere. But one specific section in one specific map was modified pretty heavily.

36 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

I don't recall BFG Edition RoE missing a map anywhere. But one specific section in one specific map was modified pretty heavily.

Yeah, or this.

Yeah, just make sure to get the original non-BFG edition, so you can also get a larger selection of mods to try after you're done with the game, also worth mentioning that not all of the mods seem compatible with source ports.

Edited by sluggard

5 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

I say yes, but don't expect SeriousSam-like Doom.

Well that's definitely a bonus.

Anyhow, yes get Doom 3 it's a fun game.

8 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Yes

And before you ask, yes, you should get Resurrection of Evil.

No, do not get BFG Edition, I played a lot of Doom 3 in my time and BFG is just a bad incarnation (I mean it's a fine game still but classic Doom 3 just has more going for it in terms of what made Doom 3 good)

What about the Xbox One version?

16 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

Then that's the BFG Edition.

Close enough, this is the Bethesda.net version (which is the BFG Edition with less than the BFG)

I enjoyed it. Bit claustrophobic at times but you are on a Mars base and not in, say Pittsburgh. lol 

Hell was gorgeous but short lived.

If you don't mind a DooM game with a lot of emphasis on horror, filled with darkness, story that matters to get immersed into, reading emails & listening audio logs & slow gameplay, I suggest you to get it with the expansion.

The OG versions of course. Bethesda butchered the BFG edition.

10 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

I say yes, but don't expect SeriousSam-like Doom.

At the same time, don't expect Classic Doom Either.

But Yes you should get it, Doom 3 for what it is, is a very good Horror game and worth a playthrough.

if you want some extra content and QoL improvements, the BFG Edition is readily available.

On 4/12/2020 at 12:21 PM, The Strife Commando said:

What about the Xbox One version?

That one is like a more polished BFG but in my experience it is quirty and uncomfortable to play compared to the other Console ports.

If we're talking Xbox I've played them all:

The original Xbox port was good but stripped a lot. Collectors edition adds Doom 1 and 2, interestingly enough Doom RoE on original Xbox also has Doom 1 and 2 AND 10 of the Master Levels (???), however the sounds for these classic games were incorrectly configured for backwards comp and are static. These versions only work on the Xbox 360 if you have one.

(Talking console here) BFG is a decent port if you have nothing else but suffers from odd frame dips, poorly redesigned areas and aggressive as fuck autoaim that tracks enemy movements at chest level, it will literally drag the camera in some cases. The game also suffers from the worst netcode I have seen in a while so DM is unplayable (but Doom 3 DM is questionable at best). Most of the PC remains, woth odd little scenery changes around, contains both RoE and Lost Mission, Lost Mission is short and kinda forgettable, has some nice hell visuals though. You'll also drown in ammo, 320 shells worth (no really it is nuts).

The Xbox One Doom 3 is, believe it or not, my least favourite. For one it looks like it's just BFG again and for two it has unchangeable toggle sprint, in Doom 3... Doom 3 has stamina and I only use sprint to dodge projectiles (which is why hold sprint is so usefull), toggle sprint is unviable and terrible and you can't change it as far as I have found. The auto aim is toned down a lot, to the point where I am actually under the impression it doesn't have it, I can't hit shit. It's buggy, more so than any other port I have played, I have played every port multiple times and not once has a ZSec teleported down the corridor into or out of cover until now. And that has happened more than once on this port.

This is the rare occasion where I'd say pick BFG.

Yeah, definitely. It's a slower and more serious take on the DOOM formula, one closer to Half-Life, but it doesn't mean it's bad. It's heavily atmospheric, full of style and has some cool moments. The OG is more horror-leaning, while the BFG got some slight tweaks to make it more action-y. OG is more polished, BFG has more content and is the only (outside of Bethesda.net) legal way to acquire both Lost Mission and No Rest for the Living on PC.

Edited by Allard

Yes if you're into atmospherical, scary shooters. No if you'd rather have the og doom/quake kinda shooter. The game is very ugly in my opinion ; apart from how the rooms are made and the general design, the guns and the characters are a complete mess. Buy it lol, it's not like you need a loan to afford the game nowadays.

This is my contribution to your daily Internet validation seeking.

It's by far the worst Doom game. It wasn't good 15 years ago and it's even worse now. It sucks as a shooter, it sucks as a horror game, and it sucks as a Doom game.

If it didn't have "Doom" in the title it would be entirely forgotten. All it had going for it at the time were some tech advances that have long since been surpassed.

Son of a bitch.. where's my spitball gun?!? where's my freak'n flashlight?! :D

I'm not going to shoot it down, I think it's a good game actually. I think you should get it.

What is it like 10 bucks now or something?

Turn off the lights, turn up the sound a little, I'm sure it will give you some chills. ;)

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Without knowing more context of what you look for in a game, I'd say no.

I think its limp as both a horror game and a shooter game. You want a good sci fi horror game, and haven't played System Shock 2, get that instead. Otherwise, there's a tonne of good options for shooters, including playing vanilla Doom 1 or 2. Yes, even if it would be for the 1 millionth time. 

I guess it somewhat depends if you are a Doom nut or not... I got Doom 3 and RoE when they were released and played them to death (but never completed them). They are very different to classic Doom/Doom2 but pretty cool nonetheless.

I have revisited them recently with various source ports on a machine that can handle the higher res graphics and it does look good, even now. So, yes, pick it up if you can.

I'm actually slowly going back through Doom 3. I'm at level 10 so far (comm transfer).

So far the things that annoy me the most are the anemic shotgun (it's a crime against all of shotgunkind, IMO), the excessively predictable scripted ambushes, and the way you can't stay outside for more than a few seconds (oxygen canisters are ridiculously meager, you'd never guess given their size. Combined with player slowness and with having to fight enemies outside, it just turns these excursions into save-scumming episodes because you do a first suicide run to find where the canisters are, then another suicide run to work a strategy against the monsters while reaching the canisters in time, and then repeat for the area beyond, and so on.

For the shotgun I actually went and edited the game's data files. Instead of 13 pellets with a spread of 22, I set it to 15 pellets with a spread of 10 and it's a lot more acceptable now.

A sad thing is that, in the rare situations where the room is actually spacious enough that you have time to dodge (or intercept) enemy projectiles and the enemies aren't immediately in melee range, the game is pretty fun. Too bad there aren't more open and sufficiently-lit areas where you aren't put on a ridiculous asphyxiation timer.

On 4/21/2020 at 12:50 AM, Gez said:

it just turns these excursions into save-scumming episodes because you do a first suicide run to find where the canisters are, then another suicide run to work a strategy against the monsters while reaching the canisters in time, and then repeat for the area beyond, and so on.

Speak for yourself. Usually the exit is pretty close. You're not supposed to explore the Martian wasteland anyway. If you really want to see stuff, you'd be better off no-clipping.

I wish more Doom 2 mods used this mechanism where you need radiation suits to go outside.