Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Submerge

I have a problem with Wadauthor and textures.

Okay. My editor of choice is Wadauthor. Currently, I'm working on a map with TWO external texture resources. nb5texd2.wad and doom1tex.wad. I have textures from each wad. I have saved and built nodes and such. when i try to run it in MBF, with the map and BOTH wadfiles, I get a TexNumForName error. I know damn well this shouldn't be happening. I'm loading the files properly and everything. I HAVE tried merging the two texture wads into one, with no success, trying to use WADMERGE and WinTex. both failed. Any help with this would be appreciated, considering that I can't finish the map until i get a solution!

thanks.

Doesn't the TEXTURE1 lump of the second file overwrites the TEXTURE1 lump of the first file?

Doesn't the TEXTURE1 lump of the second file overwrites the TEXTURE1 lump of the first file?

Of course it does. If you want to use resources from two different resource WADs you have to create at least a combined TEXTURE1 lump that contains all textures you need. You have to also make certain that there are no duplicate patch and texture names in the two WADs because the ones from the second file will also overwrite the ones from the first. In this case the merging can easily become a very non-trivial task.

The DeePSea import options will allow you to merge texture and pnames lumps. You pick a target WAD (ie the file you are putting your lumps into) with one of the texture lumps in it, and use the second wad as a lump source file to import. DeePSea will consolidate the two texture and pnames lists into one.

As Graf Zahl points out, you'll have to avoid name confilcts to make sure you get all the graphics you want, but that's down to you.

Importing is not limited in the SW version of DeePSea, and once you have created your merged file, you could then use it in WA.

o_0

Another option would be to insert all the textures into your wad, as then there would only be one PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lump. There's no clashing texture names, as the nb5 textures have different names to the original DooM 1 textures.

(I know it would increase the file size, but people would still have to download the texture sets if you kept them separate, so the download time is effectively the same)

Moving the patches is no problem (simply copy-and-paste from the texture wads into your pwad), moving the textures is a little trickier:

Move all the patches into your pwad first.

Open a texture wad and select 'edit texture' from the advanced menu.

The textures are in the box on the left. Highlight all of these and select 'copy texture' from the textures menu.

Open your pwad, go to the texture editor and select 'paste texture' from the textures menu.

Quit, and click yes to 'save your textures into pwad' (this takes care of the pnames as well as the texture1 lump)

Do the same with the other texture wad.

(I've not actually tried this, as I've never needed to bring multiple textures across from other wads, I usually recreate them instead. Nowadays I use DeePsea, as it's much easier to make textures there)