Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

22 minutes ago, gotsu said:

Doom 3 is a perfectly executed horror FPS, and very exhilarating to play. The mechanic to switch between your weapon and the flashlight is actually fun.

It's a bit unfair to compare the two since they are so different but IMO Doom 3 is better than 4. 4 feels like overdosing on sugar, especially the horribly compressed and vocoded to hell sound design.

I could not agree with this more if I tired. :D

I don't think Eviternity is the best wad ever.

2 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I could not agree with this more if I tired. :D

I don't think Eviternity is the best wad ever.

+1

In addition, to me, BTSX was a total slog. I realize that my opinion can be wrong because I only played Pt1 and never managed to complete it, because I lost interest.

2 hours ago, Deimos said:

I prefer Ps1 Doom/Final and Doom64's dark ambient to the classic MIDIs. Bobby Prince's music is amazing considering the limitations and Wolf3d's music is pretty catchy but for Classic Doom i prefer something more moody. I started playing Doom on Jag where the only music was the roaming grunts so that's why.

We pretty much took the same path in our exposure to Doom.  

Jag’s lack of music was kind of effective in an odd way...really made you feel cold and alone in a desolate world.  I’d actually prefer that silence to the MIDIs.

But it doesn’t get better than Hodges’ dark ambient goodness.  

The regular shotgun is the second worst weapon in the game, second to the pistol.

The damage is just not consistent enough to kill imps and chaingunners in a satisfying one-shot manner, and every other time you'll have to use the pistol to save some ammo if needed. I'd rather use a chainsaw to save ammo and be more fun to use if the map allows.

The cacodemon is shit, the worst enemy, it is annoying, but it doesn't have a special ability like the Archie. Also, he looks ugly af, the Pain Elemental is better in all ways. Why does people think it's cute? He is completely ugly.

The Icon of Sin is trash, so pointless and it's probably because the devs got all their common sense sucked by the money and decided a wall was a good boss.

30 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

The cacodemon is shit, the worst enemy, it is annoying, but it doesn't have a special ability like the Archie. Also, he looks ugly af, the Pain Elemental is better in all ways. Why does people think it's cute? He is completely ugly.

The Icon of Sin is trash, so pointless and it's probably because the devs got all their common sense sucked by the money and decided a wall was a good boss.

I don't find the og caco cute either

I think that E2 of Doom is the best of the entire game. Not only does it introduce teleporters and the plasma rifle but it also has the most interesting levels in the game. Progressing through the episode and seeing the Deimos base get progressively more corrupt by hell is a really cool detail. Also I sawed the demons is the best track in the entire Doom series.

1 hour ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

I don't understand this logic, if you don't like it because it doesn't have a special ability, then aren't hell knights and barons even worse because they can't even fly?

Controversial? Strife offers more of an interesting gameplay experience that pushes for stealth while allow the option to run-n-gun (albeit with consequences) than Doom.

10 hours ago, gotsu said:

Some hot takes:

Doom 3 is a perfectly executed horror FPS, and very exhilarating to play. The mechanic to switch between your weapon and the flashlight is actually fun.

It's a bit unfair to compare the two since they are so different but IMO Doom 3 is better than 4.

theres a difference between horror and Cheap Jumpscares. Doom 3 relies on the later.

It's a bit unfair to compare the two since they are so different but IMO Doom 3 is better than 4.

So you said it yourself, this is not a valid comparison.

4 feels like overdosing on sugar, especially the horribly compressed and vocoded to hell sound design.

and Doom 3's Tinny, overdose on High end Treble is better than Doom 4's sound design? okay.

2 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

theres a difference between horror and Cheap Jumpscares. Doom 3 relies on the later.

So you said it yourself, this is not a valid comparison.

and Doom 3's Tinny, overdose on High end Treble is better than Doom 4's sound design? okay.

Um, dude, why did you feel the need to be defensive this time? This was meant to be a topic for unpopular opinions, and that very much is one. And it is indeed an opinion, he never said one is objectively worse/better than the other.

10 hours ago, joe-ilya said:

I don't understand this logic, if you don't like it because it doesn't have a special ability, then aren't hell knights and barons even worse because they can't even fly?

But he's annoying, the barons are just little bosses and the knights are like the imps, just kill them

2 hours ago, seed said:

Um, dude, why did you feel the need to be defensive this time? This was meant to be a topic for unpopular opinions, and that very much is one. And it is indeed an opinion, he never said one is objectively worse/better than the other.

Well, an ideal world, the title of the thread would have given people the hint to have an "Uh, OK, that's, like, your opinion, dude." attitude all the time and leaving it there. But we know that sooner or later there'll ALWAYS be one...

33 minutes ago, Maes said:

Well, an ideal world, the title of the thread would have given people the hint to have an "Uh, OK, that's, like, your opinion, dude." attitude all the time and leaving it there. But we know that sooner or later there'll ALWAYS be one...

Pfft, yeah, obviously. It was expected, I was just surprised though, for some reason, despite seeing it coming from a mile 1.0 .

4 hours ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

But he's annoying, the barons are just little bosses and the knights are like the imps, just kill them

Are you confusing cacodemons with lost souls by any chance?

58 minutes ago, joe-ilya said:

Are you confusing cacodemons with lost souls by any chance?

Lost souls and cacos are annoying, but you have to be stupid to not have the ability to shoot lost souls at the right time in their "dash" to stop them.

7 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

Lost souls and cacos are annoying, but you have to be stupid to not have the ability to shoot lost souls at the right time in their "dash" to stop them.

You can have the "best" of both with Pain Elementals. Even more fun -and less(?) stupid, killing it quickly with the RL.

2 minutes ago, Maes said:

You can have the "best" of both with Pain Elementals. Even more fun -and less(?) stupid, killing it quickly with the RL.

That's exactly what i think, Pain Elementals were probably made because id realised how shitty the cacodemon was

People needs to shut the fuck up about the Marauder being too OP in DOOM Eternal. He's a balanced enemy already, the people who complain about him are just bad at the game

29 minutes ago, MrCacod3mon said:

People needs to shut the fuck up about the Marauder being too OP in DOOM Eternal. He's a balanced enemy already, the people who complain about him are just bad at the game

i don't find him THAT hard but he does feel like a big jump in difficulty compared to the rest of the maps he's in. For example some said just lower the difficulty, yeah but then the rest of the game gets boringly easy. He's kind of a chore with a controller too.

14 minutes ago, Deimos said:

i don't find him THAT hard but he does feel like a big jump in difficulty compared to the rest of the maps he's in. For example some said just lower the difficulty, yeah but then the rest of the game gets boringly easy. He's kind of a chore with a controller too.

I can agree with that. He can be hard at times but if you find a strategy that can kill him fast enough, he'll be a piece of cake. besides DOOM could need some sort of challenging enemy like the Marauder.

4 minutes ago, MrCacod3mon said:

I can agree with that. He can be hard at times but if you find a strategy that can kill him fast enough, he'll be a piece of cake. besides DOOM could need some sort of challenging enemy like the Marauder.

True, when i started doom on jag circle straffing was not possible so when i fought the marauder i had "nice" throwbacks of the barons lol

13 hours ago, MrCacod3mon said:

Pretty much this.

And based on what I have seen so far - ways to kill the Marauder I mean - he isn't even that difficult to deal with, especially if you keep your distance. All it takes is a little know-how really (I mean seriously, you can kill this guy with RL grenades with ease if you keep your distance...)

Besides, a more challenging enemy is not a bad thing to add. Shooting galleries have never been in fashion.

15 hours ago, MrCacod3mon said:

I still don't understand what the fuss about the Marauder is all about, I'm actually tempted to get this game as soon as the next sale hits, Doom 2016's arenas were a snoozefest so this seems like another respond to those complaints about the game being too easy.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:19 PM, gotsu said:

Doom 3 is a perfectly executed horror FPS

People give Doom 3 too much crap just because it's the one that's cool to hate, It's not flawless but you gotta cut them some slack for at least trying.

Edited by sluggard

The marudar solo was never the issue. The challenge maps with him are where people keep dying because he distracts them from all the other shit that maims or outright kills them. 

1 hour ago, sluggard said:

People give Doom 3 too much crap just because it's the one that's cool to hate

(X) Doubt.

Speaking of fliers, Doom indeed does lack a relatively nimble ranged flier, a sort of flying imp, like the Fire Gargoyle in Heretic. Which, TBH, I always found them to a be tongue-in-cheek reference to Doom manual's description of the imp:

You thought an imp was a cute little dude in a red suit with a pitchfork. Where did these brown bastards come from?

Well, minus the pitchfork part.

But a fast and nimble flying monster in the same damage league as the cacodemon or revenant in terms of damage and health....yikes. However, in general even custom flying monsters tend to be slow and bulky affairs, not the least being because they're based off existing monsters.

Doom's monster movement code also isn't very suitable for fliers in general, IMO. Compare how e.g. the revenant fireballs fly vs how cacodemons and lost souls move, which is the same short-path, zig-zag motion that walking monsters use. I always found that quite unnatural and inefficient in a flier. Even if you increase their speed they will still move in that quite erratic manner. Now imagine a flying monster that could move with the same speed and agility as a homing fireball and also shoot while moving...

Edited by Maes

21 minutes ago, Maes said:

Doom's monster movement code also isn't very suitable for fliers in general, IMO. Compare how e.g. the revenant fireballs fly vs how cacodemons and lost souls move, which is the same short-path, zig-zag motion that walking monsters use. I always found that quite unnatural and inefficient in a flier. Now imagine a flying monster that could move with the same speed and agility as a homing fireball and also shoot while moving...

Hexen tried to mix things up a bit. The afrit shoots on the move, the levitating dark bishop has his erratic blurry dodges, and the death wyvern has a movement AI that is completely unlike every other Doom engine monster, relying on the mapper to put way points for it to follow constantly while attacking.

I like The Chasm. It's useless to happen after you kill nearby demons, but seeing the pits fill in is kinda satisfying.

Edited by SSG

Doom 3 deserved a sequel that takes advantage of better hardware so that it wouldn't have to be bound to the slow and dark limitations, but it could keep most of the atmosphere while making more dynamic fights.