Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkstalkers

First Map (I'd like feedback!)

Long time lurker, but decided to go ahead and try to make my first map.

I've gotten the hang of the Map Editor I'm using (UDB), but the only problem I've been facing is to what to place in rooms and how to properly structure monster encounters? (It's a lot easier than it looks!) But also wanted to know how well I'm doing so far! 

Also, just saying, the teleporter in the blue room goes to an empty room and you can't go back, so you'll have to restart the level. Thought I'd let you know to save you some trouble.

Made in UDB, tested in GZDoom! IWAD is DOOMII, can't really think of other infos? There isn't anything special to this map.
Just saying, it's not complete. I don't want it to be too long either. I just want to start small.

Download the (unfinished) map here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f77buhl4ynnvttg/MAP01.wad?dl=0

Some screenshots below!

Spoiler

unknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png

EDIT: - E to get the shells! That sector's a lift.

- Jumping and/or crouching is not required!

Edited by darkstalkers

Hi, I had a look at your map and I think it's nice how you already work with lights, thats cool. Also liked the "broken bridge".

Regarding doors you only have occasionally used the DOORTRAK texture, which should be used at all doors' sides in my opinion (on the other hand it's your map and there's no law). And make the DOORTRAK textures "lower unpegged", that means they don't move while the door opens.

When you open a topic for a new map, please add information whether jumping and crouching is needed. I think that box of shells can only be obtained by jumping and crouching?

I didn't understand why you placed the yellow key in the first room right besides the yellow door, maybe just for testing out...

But keep going, it's a good start!

Box of shells can be obtained by using the platform because the platform is a lift. Which is kinda pointless, you should move it closer to edge. Or declare that place a secret.

The rooms that you've actually look OK, although screens in the pinky's room are cut in half. Why have a teleporter to an empty room anyway? Broken bridge, crate room and the computer rooms are simple, but effective design, even if it could benefit from more work.

I don't think there's anywhere left to advance so I guess you didn't finish most of it, but I do think it has potential.

Keep going with it, you've got a good start here. I like the classic feel of it.

I only found 2 major issues that can easily be fixed.

1. The teleporter that takes you:

Spoiler

to an empty room that you can't get out of.

I assume this will be part of something you can explore more of / open up later.

2. In the Imp room with the broken up raised floor and the nukage floor, when you walk up the thin ledge on one side there are some missing textures so it looks like part of the ledge/walkway is invisible.

I like your use

Spoiler

of the box that blocks a door so you can peek in, and/or shoot the guys in the room BEFORE

you go in the other door. 

You have some light-colored ledges that are juuuuuust above jumping height, and this is a personal preference but I would raise them up a bit more. So that they are obviously shown as decorations and not a place I want to get to. For "classic" maps I always assume no jumping required. 

ALSO: Give your map a name! If even just your username for now. Something instead of MAP01 :)

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Loomis said:

Hi, I had a look at your map and I think it's nice how you already work with lights, thats cool. Also liked the "broken bridge".

Regarding doors you only have occasionally used the DOORTRAK texture, which should be used at all doors' sides in my opinion (on the other hand it's your map and there's no law). And make the DOORTRAK textures "lower unpegged", that means they don't move while the door opens.

When you open a topic for a new map, please add information whether jumping and crouching is needed. I think that box of shells can only be obtained by jumping and crouching?

I didn't understand why you placed the yellow key in the first room right besides the yellow door, maybe just for testing out...

But keep going, it's a good start!

thank you for this feedback!! ill update as necessary :)
and, yeah, it was mainly for testing purposes, placed a dead marine there for a bit of continuity/context?

2 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Why have a teleporter to an empty room anyway?

Unfinished! + I was trying out teleporters.
I might remove it if I can't find a good enough reason to keep it in

1 hour ago, MatthewPhillips said:

Keep going with it, you've got a good start here. I like the classic feel of it.

I only found 2 major issues that can easily be fixed.

1. The teleporter that takes you:

Hide contents

to an empty room that you can't get out of.

I assume this will be part of something you can explore more of / open up later.

2. In the Imp room with the broken up raised floor and the nukage floor, when you walk up the thin ledge on one side there are some missing textures so it looks like part of the ledge/walkway is invisible.

I like your use

Hide contents

of the box that blocks a door so you can peek in, and/or shoot the guys in the room BEFORE

you go in the other door. 

You have some light-colored ledges that are juuuuuust above jumping height, and this is a personal preference but I would raise them up a bit more. So that they are obviously shown as decorations and not a place I want to get to. For "classic" maps I always assume no jumping required. 

ALSO: Give your map a name! If even just your username for now. Something instead of MAP01 :)

Good luck!

1. yes! it's a room i havent finished yet, might remove the teleporter if i don't like the room enough.
2. thank you! I thought i'd already fixed that but i guess i forgot :'D
3. you arent supposed to get there! jumping isn't required, ill fix this too

thank you so much for your feedback! ill get to work on this tomorrow.

A few nice rooms with some cool design choices. Nice work so far. :)

The beginning area really feels like it could be designed as like some underground cave/quarry that leads into a tech-map. I like that idea!

The first computer room is good and the zombles bashing on the keyboards as zombies do is a nice little touch.

The pinky demon room was a bit odd in design with how the computers are placed (maybe instead of more PC's you do something like pipes or maybe a few crates?)

The room with the former Sargent and those crates. PERFECT. If you'd like it to feel more like a retro map then it doesn't really need changing much.

Finally the broken bridge room with the imps looks kinda cool like the hell spawns are destroying the map as you progress through it.

A few things to keep in mind:

1 - The map is 100% impossible in Vanilla without editing some of the flats. For limit-removing engines like GZDooM it's fine to use wall textures as flats but for retro engines like chocolate or vanilla, they will instantly crash.

2 - You've made the no.1 most common mistake almost all beginner mappers make: Forgetting to lower unpeg the sides of a door (AKA the door tracks).