Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BrannanZ

What is the most classic source port out there?

3 hours ago, seed said:

Chocolate Doom is as vanilla as it gets.

WinDoom 2.015 wants a word with you. Its even more purist than Choco. ;)

But really OP just use Choco and you are set.

I don't think so.

Scoring based on monsters killed and items found

Did he fix the hires crash?

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about something similar earlier today.  Is Chocolate Doom closer to vanilla on OG hardware than Doom running under emulation through something like DosBox on modern hardware?  I'm guessing the differences are marginal but I'm curious.

56 minutes ago, Average said:

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about something similar earlier today.  Is Chocolate Doom closer to vanilla on OG hardware than Doom running under emulation through something like DosBox on modern hardware?  I'm guessing the differences are marginal but I'm curious.

That's sort of a non-applicable comparison. DOSbox is an emulator of period hardware support, Chocolate Doom is a source port that attempts to maintain original game behaviour but on modern operating systems. I'm not even sure where one could start of supposed differences when they accomplish two distinct goals. 

Though if you were to force an answer at gunpoint, no, the differences are very marginal and not really worth comparing. 

From a gameplay perspective, any source port with vanilla demo compatibility is functionally identical to the original DOS games. Off the top of my head, that's Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, Pr/GlBoom+ (using -complevel 2-4), Eternity (using -vanilla), and maybe a few others that aren't as commonly used.

2 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

It definetely is DOSBox, it's exactly as Doom was in 1993.

There's a lot of variables involved here. Either you are running it as good as it possibly can on modern OS or you're emulating weaker hardware. Not everyone was playing Doom at its intended 35 FPS.

Just now, Lila Feuer said:

There's a lot of variables involved here. Either you are running it as good as it possibly can on modern OS or you're emulating weaker hardware. Not everyone was playing Doom at its intended 35 FPS.

That is obvious, but that's a DOS emulator, is there anything more vanilla than that?

True fans just imagine the gameplay in their heads because they’re so familiar with it!

Also, If you’re playing the original exe in DosBox, you can raise the limits greatly by using Boom, which is certainly one of the most classic and influential source ports.

I think it greatly depends on your preferences. For example; do you care at all about ease of functionality, or are you okay with compiling / configuring your own set-up?

When taking modern platforms and devices into consideration, I personally think that Chocolate Doom is probably your best option.

4 hours ago, Spie812 said:

From a gameplay perspective, any source port with vanilla demo compatibility is functionally identical to the original DOS games. Off the top of my head, that's Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, Pr/GlBoom+ (using -complevel 2-4), Eternity (using -vanilla), and maybe a few others that aren't as commonly used.

There's also Odamex.   Demos recorded in doom.exe v1.9 play just fine and its settings seemed to be vanilla by start.   Blows my mind since it's also developed for the best online client server performance and is based on an old ZDoom supporting Hexen format, other editing features except not Decorate, and the option to turn on its physics,.

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

There's also Odamex.   Demos recorded in doom.exe v1.9 play just fine and its settings seemed to be vanilla by start.   Blows my mind since it's also developed for the best online client server performance and is based on an old ZDoom supporting Hexen format, other editing features except not Decorate, and the option to turn on its physics,.

I agree entirely. Odamex is underrated in general. To have full vanilla demo compatibility as well as near 100% Boom support and a great deal of Hexen features, slopes, deep water, colored lighting etc is very impressive. Even though it lacks decorate it still has pretty widely expanded DeHackEd/BEX compatiblity too, so you can use railguns and other cool non-vanilla stuff.

19 hours ago, Doomkid said:

True fans just imagine the gameplay in their heads because they’re so familiar with it!

Also, If you’re playing the original exe in DosBox, you can raise the limits greatly by using Boom, which is certainly one of the most classic and influential source ports.

But Boom introduces new things on its own.

Wouldn't DoomP/Doom2P from Entryway/e6y make more sense? Those are 1:1 DOS Vanilla, but with several raised limits.

23 hours ago, joe-ilya said:

Does DosBox count as a source port?

For fully useless reasons id love to see a pre-packaged DOSBox that solely runs Doom. There is a distribution that includes a pre-configured ZDoom, but that's not the same.

DOSBox isn't really a source port, sadly, but it remains a purist option for those who want the exact DOS environment as it were in 1993, without using an actual DOS machine.

16 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I agree entirely. Odamex is underrated in general. To have full vanilla demo compatibility as well as near 100% Boom support and a great deal of Hexen features, slopes, deep water, colored lighting etc is very impressive. Even though it lacks decorate it still has pretty widely expanded DeHackEd/BEX compatiblity too, so you can use railguns and other cool non-vanilla stuff.

That true color renderer was and is pretty bonkers stuff. The Odamex tech really is its own thing using the ZDoom 1.x base.

One thing i wanted to mention:

Odamex also tends to have official (i guess?) support for a lot of platforms. Noted are Windows and Linux, but also:

• Original Microsoft Xbox
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Nintendo Wii U (Well Choww is working on it!)
  • PlayStation Vita

Which, give or take, is impressive. Odamex was also ported unofficially to Amiga 68k but the fact it advertises such multiplatform support, even for unusual devices is something to note. I really like to see that foster more. An optimized Odamex Wii U could employ the full feature set offered by Oda.

Edited by Redneckerz

Why is there even a discussion in this thread? The question is for a source port and the answer is Chocolate Doom. Period. ;-)

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Hm, what happens if, while imagining it, you enter a room that overflows vanilla DooM?

19 minutes ago, Pechudin said:

Hm, what happens if, while imagining it, you enter a room that overflows vanilla DooM?

Likely the resultant overflow consists of Fishes and Planes. ;)

Doom Reborn is the most classically classickest way to play vanilla Doom (1993) in a classic vanilla way.

Obviously.

18 hours ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

It definetely is DOSBox, it's exactly as Doom was in 1993.

Well, I guess I could download DOSBOX and dig out that old shareware cd.

9 hours ago, fabian said:

Why is there even a discussion in this thread? The question is for a source port and the answer is Chocolate Doom. Period. ;-)

Not sure. But i like seeing helpful people on websites like this.

On 4/21/2020 at 9:59 PM, drfrag said:

I don't think so.

Did he fix the hires crash?

Sadly not, it's been abandoned for ages - long story :( I certainly don't have any free time to resurrect it. Of course, being open source, anyone can take it over :)

19 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Thanks to your post I went to investigate if Odamex has swimmable water.   Saw it in customize controls and checked out a map editing in ZDaemon Hexen format mode (closest to Odamex) and saw I could flag a 209 transfer heights line as swimmable below fake.   Even better than I thought.   Still have underwater steps so people don't have to use additional buttons or freelook if they don't want.   I've been mostly going by some old ZDoom v1.17 editing specs I have for lack of a v1.22 reference.