Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WowozuelaSpammer

Boom, iwads and demos

So, i made a speedrun of e1m1 some time ago, i had it in the same folder where all the boom stuff is in, but, when i see the demo with doom2.wad instead of doom.wad, something peculiar happens. It's like, the demo runs, but instead of e1m1, it's map01, so "i" am trying to run through walls, shoot them and try to interact with them in the same way i did in the e1m1 speedrun with doom.wad.

Did anyone know this bug?

You can play back a demo with any WAD, this isn't a bug. The demo file format is basically just a list of all your commands, it doesn't have any concept of what WAD it was recorded by default, only map number. In this case, it's expected that it would just play back the same commands you did on e1m1 on map 01.

Take the doom2.wad and place it in a separate folder before running your e1m1 demo, or you could also make a batch file that specifies what WAD to replay your demo with?

Guys, stop with this nonsensical "IWAD juggling".

Wanna watch a doom(1) demo? -iwad doom -playdemo yadayada
Wanna watch a doom2 demo? -iwad doom2 -playdemo yadayada

If batch files and command line arguments aren't your cup of tea: Select both the IWAD and the demo, drag and drop both at once onto the .exe, and the demo should play back properly.

2 hours ago, RobUrHP420 said:

Take the doom2.wad and place it in a separate folder before running your e1m1 demo, or you could also make a batch file that specifies what WAD to replay your demo with?

I'm not having any problem it's just that it's an unusual bug

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Guys, stop with this nonsensical "IWAD juggling".

Wanna watch a doom(1) demo? -iwad doom -playdemo yadayada
Wanna watch a doom2 demo? -iwad doom2 -playdemo yadayada

If batch files and command line arguments aren't your cup of tea: Select both the IWAD and the demo, drag and drop both at once onto the .exe, and the demo should play back properly.

The same as above, 0 problems, i know how to use Boom

That isn't a bug. All demos are is stored sequences of player inputs (and other metadata). So the demo will play back on the wrong map too, but of course it'll make no sense then. Such a thing also nearly always happens if the tiniest of changes are made to the "right" map too -- only it will start out making sense then go out of sync (aka desync) at some point. 

25 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

I'm not having any problem it's just that it's an unusual bug

No, it's not an unusual bug for reasons rdwpa already explained.

25 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

The same as above, 0 problems, i know how to use Boom

No, you clearly don't, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.

2 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

No, it's not an unusual bug for reasons rdwpa already explained.

No, you clearly don't, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.

Ok, i don't want to start World War III here, i don't know about demos, i don't know why they're called demos when they're called .lmp, i am an idiot in the internet.

See? lying is bad

4 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

Ok, i don't want to start World War III here, i don't know about demos, i don't know why they're called demos when they're called .lmp

Demo is what it's called. The .lmp is simply the file format that is used in ports like PrBoom+, Crispy, Chocolate Doom, and many others. Some ports have their own format, like ZDaemon's .zdd, for example.

For the OG-demo reference: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Demo