Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stinkfist

Do you use your imagination?

Kind of strange to some maybe. But sometimes when I play Doom, I like to think doom guy isn’t alone. As if he operates in a “squad”. I like it because it adds a bit more immersion and realism to the game. And the thing that sells it for me is that Doomguy’s face changes quite a bit as he takes damage. So each health phase I imagine as another space marine, simply looking down at the health bar is all I need lol.  And when he’s down in 30% or lower he truly is alone, needing to be far more cautious. Picking up medikit or stimpack is like finding another surviving marine to help you plunge through the bowels of hell. 

any one else do anything similar?

You're right, that is strange.

What's realistic and immersive to me is the fact that we are alone. I actually prefer the thought that Doomguy is legit the last man standing on Phobos and Deimos alike during Doom 1.

In Doom 2 they kinda confirm it with text screens when they say "controlling switch which holds Earth's population hostage" and "Your victory has enabled humankind to evacuate Earth and escape the nightmare. Now you are the only human left on the face of the planet."

I mean how badass is that? That's what I call immersion.

I like to think that the demons are like your dead friends, then when you kill them, you smile, because you're insane. I mean, who would smile every time they kill a demon, it's not like they're dead for good, Hell still exists. Maybe the Cyberdemon is the same Cyberdemon, and when he explodes, it's not blood you see, it's a portal that goes back in time.

I like to imagine the real final boss in Doom II is some guy and that the Icon of Sin is just a wall he uses for hiding

1 minute ago, unerxai said:

I like to imagine the real final boss in Doom II is some guy and that the Icon of Sin is just a wall he uses for hiding

And that guy is actually the god of your world, you are killing the pet of your god's head on a sticc.

Sticc rly bad :c

I day dream quite a bit so I do come up with random things as I play DooM, like trying to lure a cacodemon around like its some sort of pet. Yes I have dome this once and it did come with some hilarious results as it tries to kill me only to end up blasting a pinky in the face.

I'm weird like that >w>

I don't imagine multiple marines, but I do imagine what's going through his head and kind of an extended story that's happening as I play.  It's not just "angry guy shoots demons" for me, but a character going through an adventure.

6 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

I don't imagine multiple marines, but I do imagine what's going through his head and kind of an extended story that's happening as I play.  It's not just "angry guy shoots demons" for me, but a character going through an adventure.

I feel that. I really enjoy those moments where you’re at low health and ammo and the game just inches you to death and you hold out just long enough to find that next medikit. A lot goes through my head and makes the game much more personal lol. 

2 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I like to think that the demons are like your dead friends, then when you kill them, you smile, because you're insane. I mean, who would smile every time they kill a demon, it's not like they're dead for good, Hell still exists. Maybe the Cyberdemon is the same Cyberdemon, and when he explodes, it's not blood you see, it's a portal that goes back in time.

I like the idea that some of the demons could be other uac personnel. I always wondered why we only see armed zombies instead of like regular zombies.

3 hours ago, unerxai said:

We all know that's exactly what it is.

Anyway, on my end, I use imagination to interpret the more abstract maps. Hmmm, what could that weird rectangle be? How is the wiring of the switch reaching the door? Stuff like that.

I also like to imagine Doomguy talking to himself to stay calm, after all, being alone is not fun if you're the one in that situation.

18 minutes ago, Senor500 said:

Hmmm, what could that weird rectangle be?

Gotta love some nicely placed rectangles

I generally imagine more than just for Doomguy itself, though not always, I have imagined some lore for every demon, a story for Doomguy that extends more than what we have right now, stuff that we don't see directly on the game (Like, the fact that there can be more marines fighting somewhere on the space just like Doomguy, and that someday those marines will find each other to fight together for the same cause, I don't know), how some vanilla WADs or mod's maps work (For a random example, imagining what can be the exact story for WADs/stuff such as Lost Civilization, Whispers of Satan, Back To Saturn X, Deus Vult, etc., or mods such as Ascension which is the lastest I'm playing, seeing how every "human-made" element works and all.), it's interesting and I can also use this same imagination for (almost) anything I make or see, not necessarily DooM-related.

For a example of Lore I imagine for DooM monsters, on TCTOA the Imps aren't just "Lesser fireball-throwing demons sent by hell", or not exactly worded as that, they are "Servants of the Greater Ones", raised in Hell since "children" in order to withstand the massive temperatures of there and learn to manipulate the flames/heat on their palms in order to channel all possible elemental energy, and they evolve more and more, branching their paths into different Imp types according to what their wills or wishes are. (A Stone Imp being an Imp that just wishes to stay still on the middle of Nature and be strong enough to withstand the hazards of it and the man, like Doomguy. — The Fire Imp being a greater Imp on their own hierarchy/evolution tree that reached the peak of fire elemental control and who gave all their lives to become one with the Fire.)

Despite mentioning TCTOA, this same thoughs can go for the vanilla games, as the Imps there are technically the same as on the vanilla DooM series.

However there are differences here and there, which I should not really talk about to not "advertise" that lol, more like given that out just to explain how my own imagination works for this kind of stuff, and the fact that if I think too much on something like that my head starts to hurt.

Spoiler: My head hurts right now.

help.

No, i don't use my imagination while playing Doom, because i get so immersed at the game, my body slightly leans aside while dodging projectiles, i would also lean forward closer to the screen trying to peek around a corner in game.

Using imagination in the Doom universe brought us Impse.

So its preferred to assume that DoomGuy only thinks of slaying demons, and that the beastiary only communicates through DoomSpeak.

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Using imagination in the Doom universe brought us Impse.

So its preferred to assume that DoomGuy only thinks of slaying demons, and that the beastiary only communicates through DoomSpeak.

I see what you’re saying but I think it’s fair to assume that around 85% of us don’t imagine getting it on with the enemy. I mean if that’s your thing that’s cool I guess. 

1 hour ago, stinkfist said:

I see what you’re saying but I think it’s fair to assume that around 85% of us don’t imagine getting it on with the enemy.

Neither do i, its just that imagination brought that to the table.

On the other hand, i don't imagine that DoomGuy is alone like you do. I just play the game and be entertained.

1 hour ago, stinkfist said:

I mean if that’s your thing that’s cool I guess. 

Lost Souls have to be born somehow.

19 hours ago, stinkfist said:

I like the idea that some of the demons could be other uac personnel. I always wondered why we only see armed zombies instead of like regular zombies.

Thank you! it is kind of explained in the DOOM manual. It says some of these zombies were old soldiers you shared war stories with, which also suggests you were in a war, and not just a guard, I wish they made a DOOM prequel (not like DOOM 3, I mean like before transport to mars even existed or Hell rifts.)

23 hours ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

And that guy is actually the god of your world

John "drink my knob" Romero!

Most of the time when I quit the game I make sure to leave doomguy in a place with a sky texture (for air) and with godmode on (in case demon attacks).

No definitely not. Being in a squad kind of breaks the whole idea of the game in my opinion but hey if it floats your boat, go hard. Doom's gameplay loop is so engrossing that even after all this time I get completely caught up in it. It's basically muscle memory at this point. Not a lot of point or need for advanced thinking.

On 4/24/2020 at 4:22 PM, DuckReconMajor said:

Most of the time when I quit the game I make sure to leave doomguy in a place with a sky texture (for air) and with godmode on (in case demon attacks).

Hey I’m pretty sure you’re on my xbox friends list we played doom 2 over xbla a loooong time ago and we were on the chasm and quit half way through due to latency problems. 

lol I never owned Doom 2 on XBLA but I did definitely play Ultimate Doom on there, and was playing online for a while, so that's probably where it was.

If I ever own an Xbox again i'll hit you up on there (same name)

I used to think that the Doomguy was an office worker and that he had his weapons on display at his own office cubicle and suddenly a portal opened up and absorbed all his weapons, his most precious collection, so he jumped into the portal in order to retrieve his loved weapons.

I guess I used to think that his face matched the one of someone who works in an office and that the weapons number order was kind of the order of his most favorite weapons (like the BFG9000 was the latest addition to his collection and it was the one for which he was the most proud)