Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flavio Manna

What appens when a monster harms a dormant state's monster?

Hi, i'm trying to understand Doom monster's logic, and i was asking to myself, when a monster harms a dormant state's monster (so a monster wich hasn't seen the player yet) does he immediately wakes up and targets the other monster or he needs to be harmed multiple time before waking up? 

He immediately wakes up and targets the other monster.

MAP08 of Doom 2 is a good example of this - there is a room with a cyberdemon that sees you, and lots of Barons of Hell that don't. As long as you don't attack, the cyberdemon will try to fire rockets at you, but will hit the barons instead. This causes them to wake up and attack the cyberdemon.

It depends. Someone with more familiarity with the engine will be able to explain why, but sometimes a monster will wake up immediately and sometimes it won't. Here's an example I happened to have of the latter (I've witnessed it a few times without a monster being stuck). 

Being damaged isn't actually enough to wake an enemy up, even if you've done the damage, because that's not what they're "looking" for in order to wake up. They have to go to their pain state first (made to flinch), which can take some effort for enemies like the Cyberdemon or Arch Vile who have very low pain chances. The reason for this, presumably, is that the pain state always goes to the "see" state after, where they then will go after whatever their target is (which can be set by any trivial amount of damage). So if they don't go to the pain state and aren't woken up by sight, they'll just stay in their spawn state, quietly harbouring vengeance.

3 hours ago, Phobus said:

Being damaged isn't actually enough to wake an enemy up, even if you've done the damage, because that's not what they're "looking" for in order to wake up. They have to go to their pain state first (made to flinch), which can take some effort for enemies like the Cyberdemon or Arch Vile who have very low pain chances. The reason for this, presumably, is that the pain state always goes to the "see" state after, where they then will go after whatever their target is (which can be set by any trivial amount of damage). So if they don't go to the pain state and aren't woken up by sight, they'll just stay in their spawn state, quietly harbouring vengeance.

3 hours ago, Flavio Manna said:

But if i damage an enemy and he isn't deaf shouldn't he hears the player's attack and so wakes up?

17 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

So based to what this video sais a dormant state's monster has the 50% chance of start an infigth with the monster who damaged him.

They will only infight if their “pain state” is entered. RNG could allow one monster to fully kill another without triggering the actual pain state, so it’s not a 50% chance, it’s directly connected to the monster’s “pain chance”, AKA the likelihood of entering the pain state when attacked. Every monster has its own “pain chance” value.