Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Faustrecht

Which Classic Doom mods are your Favourite?

Hey guys.

I think many of us are in the same age and Classic Doom was part of our childhood.

I wonder what u guys play ?

At moment i am into.

1. Brutal Doom

https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom

I love the funny animations and the tactical gameplay. (U can ironsight and have to aim very precise) The gore is not so important for me but if u like , u can increase it to paint the rooms with blood.

2. Complex Doom

https://www.moddb.com/mods/complex-doom

Really hard mod with different weapons for example = Quad-Shotgun ,Gauss Rifle and most guns have to be reloaded. (like Brutal Doom)
Different Types of Imps , Barons etc. Or ever saw a Chaingunner with a BFG? :D
Prepare to die many times its really challenging. :P

3. Doom Remake

https://www.moddb.com/mods/lowpoly-doom-lite-10

Classic Doom as u know it but all sprites were replaced with 3D-Models and enhanced shaders.

I'm really into MetaDoom, it's really fun

I really love Ntmai, it's fun to play around with those new, more violent monster behaviour, and properly managing your inventory becomes quite useful. I personally enjoy playing this mod with DtwId

GMOTA is pretty cool too, tho you kinda have to get used to hand to hand combat, once you get the hang of it it's really fricking fun.

Doosk is fun too, but I need yet to find a mapset that fits the movement and weapons perfectly, for most I've played feel kinda unbalanced

I only really play mods with multiplayer and at that mostly Shotgun Frenzy and Master of Puppets ("Soviet Power Supreme!"). I usually have a few vanilla gameplay with custom WADs servers running too.

I recently found Supercharge and really like it as a mod that enhances and changes some things but keeps an overall classic Doom theme.

I also sometimes play Quake 4 Lightning fast in maps with a vaguely Quake 2 setting, because I am a huge Quake 2 (and, to a lesser degree, Quake 4) fan.

Normally, pure gameplay mods don't appeal much to me. I prefer to play my wads "as is", i.e. either vanilla gameplay or with whatever gameplay tweaks the map author(s) deliberately put in. One exception is

D4D (Doom 4 for Doom), which I have been wanting to try from the moment I first heard of it. But when I played it with just the Doom2 iwad, it got boring very quickly, so I put it aside and started looking (not very actively) for a map pack that might be suited for it.

I have been aware of Maps of Chaos for quite a while, but never thought of it as something I would want to play. Only recently it occured to me that these two wads might make for a good combination, and boy have I been enjoying myself since! Who would have thought a map set designed for use with gameplay mods would work well this gameplay mod I've been wanting to play...

How did you even get your hands on that Doom Remake thing? It hasn't been available for ages after it got a C&D for distributing the Doom iwads.

EDIT: okay nvm I was unaware someone had reuploaded it when did that happen.

On 4/23/2020 at 9:53 AM, DOEL said:

I only really play mods with multiplayer and at that mostly Shotgun Frenzy and Master of Puppets ("Soviet Power Supreme!"). I usually have a few vanilla gameplay with custom WADs servers running too.

Puppetmaster is also nice. If a player knows how to play a Demon then he really can be really pain in the ass for the Marines.

21 hours ago, Rampy470 said:

How did you even get your hands on that Doom Remake thing? It hasn't been available for ages after it got a C&D for distributing the Doom iwads.

EDIT: okay nvm I was unaware someone had reuploaded it when did that happen.

The Author decided to make a Torrent file bcoz Torrents have no direct hosts.They are Peer 2 Peer  Thats how i did get it. But the Torrent is dead now.

i still have the files on my PC but i dont know if i would break the Rules when i upload it and send the Link here.
Maybe a Moderator can clarify the situation.

Kind regards.

1. Project Brutality 3 - There's no Doom without it for me, personally. Three times more monsters and perfect new guns. So many new features. I hope that further development of this mod will be fruitful.

2. Pixel Retro FX - I use it to quadruple pixels, it also comes with noise and posterization filtre. This gives Doom more consistent aesthetics than looking at low-res sprites in HD. See, now's everything cleanly, smoothly pixelated.

3. Target Spy - Nicely shows enemy health. Useful especially if play with no crosshair.

4. Mari FX - Shader for adjusting colours.

5. UDV - I ditched it because it's not evenly pixelated and eats too much framerate but this is the best visor we have.

6. Crimson Raven Sound Pack - Machine gun is too quiet but it does make Project Brutality sounds nicer

Special Mentions: Isabelle Companion, Steve Flashlight, Fog Effects, Megabounce, Overdoom, AVGN offends, DamNums, Liquid Texture Pack, Brutal Friends, Liquid Land