Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Bringing Strife To Consoles?

To Nightdive members on Doomworld, is it possible to bring Quest of The Sigil on to the Xbox One?

I recall reading a post from a nightdive dev that it has special exceptions to do with its code to get it on the steam store or something like that, and that it would be impossible to port to a console due to that. Although they would explain it much better, naturally. 

7 hours ago, Devalaous said:

I recall reading a post from a nightdive dev that it has special exceptions to do with its code to get it on the steam store or something like that, and that it would be impossible to port to a console due to that. Although they would explain it much better, naturally. 

Other way around. We do have special exceptions which in fact does allow us to do a console port, the requirement being we still need to do a GPL release of said code as much as legally possible (unlike a typical GPL license which wouldn't allow for such a maneuver). The catch is the code base we currently have is made for SDL1 of all things, SDL2 isn't exactly portable to every console, and the renderer is made for OpenGL1.5, which not even the Nintendo Switch supports (the drivers supposedly do, it being a Nvidia GPU and all, but the headers flatley do not exist).

Anything is possible, but it would be months of dedicated work.

Ah, thanks for clarifying it. I would have loved a console release of Strife to go with Doom, mainly due to how frequently my computers tend to meet bad premature ends. I have yet to beat Veteran Edition as every computer its been on has melted or exploded in some way >_>;

To be clear, it's not like we don't want to do it. "Nobody wants it more than us" is an overused term but one I'd be tempted to use here. :P

Just, you know, when you have a thousand other things to do first...

5 hours ago, Edward850 said:

To be clear, it's not like we don't want to do it. "Nobody wants it more than us" is an overused term but one I'd be tempted to use here. :P

Just, you know, when you have a thousand other things to do first...

Given GZDoom was unofficially ported over to Switch, and given Strife VE source code exist, would it be possible for someone to take the Strife VE code and either:

• Port that over to Switch
  • Merge it with the GZDoom Switch build

? I assume the latter would be impractical if not impossible since Strife VE isn't based on GZ, but what about the former? Or would that be reliant on other things?

9 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Given GZDoom-*record scratch*

No no no no no no no no. Nothing GZDoom ever does is relevant to any commercial ports at any capacity. It has an incompatible license (GPLv3, as far as we know, cannot be used with current console SDKs), it has incompatible code, it does not use official SDKs, none of it applies.

Edited by Edward850

22 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

No no no no no no no no. Nothing GZDoom ever does is relevant to any commercial ports at any capacity. It has an incompatible license (GPLv3, as far as we know, cannot be used with current console SDKs), it has incompatible code, it does not use official SDKs, none of it applies.

This was primarily stated that a GZDoom Switch was/is possible in relation to the other poster.

Just hypothetically, suppose that a developer looks at the Strife VE source code, would that be portable to Switch? Or would the same aforementioned restrictions still apply?

17 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

This was primarily stated that a GZDoom Switch was/is possible in relation to the other poster.

That wasn't what was being asked. Strife:VE is not GZDoom, and the request here was a commercial port, not a homebrew one (and before you suggest it again, homebrew works very differently from retail). Nightdive doesn't do homebrew.

17 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Just hypothetically, suppose that a developer looks at the Strife VE source code, would that be portable to Switch? Or would the same aforementioned restrictions still apply?

I'm not sure what it is that you're asking. The source code is already available for a start, nor was that the relevant problem for making a retail port, what is this hypothetical situation proposing? 

Edited by Edward850

35 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

That wasn't what was being asked. Strife:VE is not GZDoom, and the request here was a commercial port, not a homebrew one (and before you suggest it again, homebrew works very differently from retail). Nightdive doesn't do homebrew.

I realize i came in with the wrong questionnaires. Apologies.

Yes, i did not mean homebrew port whatsoever.

35 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

I'm not sure what it is that you're asking. The source code is already available for a start, nor was that the relevant problem for making a retail port, what is this hypothetical situation proposing? 

Disregard the previous discussion, i just effed that up.

Suppose a developer looks at the SVE code. Would a homebrew port be feasible, or would it be subject to the aforementioned limits (GL 1.5 support, header issues).

8 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Suppose a developer looks at the SVE code. Would a homebrew port be feasible, or would it be subject to the aforementioned limits (GL 1.5 support, header issues).

I personally don't know. (Though in theory you could just stick Linux on your Switch and the Linux port will run fine.)