Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

My new Doom 2 vanilla type map: Clippy's Party Pit

Hope you have fun guys, please share any feedback - good or bad - I'm ready

This might work in vanilla but I like to play in Zdoom - I use free look as my personal preference but it shouldn't be needed. No jumping/crouching

Just a standard vanilla type feel to it

All difficulty/multiplayer etc settings supported

Get it here - http://www.levelgame.net/doom/cpp.wad

"Welcome to Clippy's party pit! Try not to burn your feet on the dance floor! Let's get this party started!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO"

image.png.e251c833f4ce24892b247ab9f4f937e9.png

image.png.b0b925785e4ba103196d11c1369a9859.png

There's a lot more to this map but just posting quick screenshots before work

A bit of a puzzle and kinda random I hope ya like it friends

Edited by Clippy

Tried out the level, here's my thoughts.

The direction could be a bit more clear, I only manged to find the exit of the level through randomly looking in rooms to see if something opened. The general shape of the level... half square and half low-sidedef outdoor attempt, with texture and flat choice being rather questionable, too. The level's also rather unbalanced, straight-up giving you a BFG near the end of the level against a few barons and one cyberdemon, with a Rocket launcher being easily found earlier within the level as well. It also seemed you didn't really use the lighting all that much aside from the blink specials, it's honestly rather flat if it isn't blinking between extremely dark or almost-fullbright. Also, does the final path to the exit (Out of about 4 or so fake-outs, which is kinda ridiculous) have to require a radiation suit to not die in? There could've been other ways of using that utterly massive open arena without that rather awkward spiral in the center of the level.

All in all, this averages out to a mediocre map. Not too horrendous, but not very good either.

[Oh, and there's a way to implement custom level names, music, and par times without having to resort to MAPINFO, but you'll need WhackED4, SLADE3, Doom Writer, and maybe some other software.]

11 minutes ago, kinker31 said:

Tried out the level, here's my thoughts.

The direction could be a bit more clear, I only manged to find the exit of the level through randomly looking in rooms to see if something opened. The general shape of the level... half square and half low-sidedef outdoor attempt, with texture and flat choice being rather questionable, too. The level's also rather unbalanced, straight-up giving you a BFG near the end of the level against a few barons and one cyberdemon, with a Rocket launcher being easily found earlier within the level as well. It also seemed you didn't really use the lighting all that much aside from the blink specials, it's honestly rather flat if it isn't blinking between extremely dark or almost-fullbright. Also, does the final path to the exit (Out of about 4 or so fake-outs, which is kinda ridiculous) have to require a radiation suit to not die in? There could've been other ways of using that utterly massive open arena without that rather awkward spiral in the center of the level.

All in all, this averages out to a mediocre map. Not too horrendous, but not very good either.

[Oh, and there's a way to implement custom level names, music, and par times without having to resort to MAPINFO, but you'll need WhackED4, SLADE3, Doom Writer, and maybe some other software.]

There's two cyber demons if you play on ultra violence

Had a hard time figuring out the ending kept thinking it was too hard

Just curious can you tell me exactly which part you got lost?

Also MapInfo seems like the easiest way to do it? Not sure why you recommend me to do it another way?

Thanks again for playing. I just have fun mapping. I was never good at lighting and textures haha. Was just hoping there was some interesting bits in here :)

8 minutes ago, Steve88 said:

@Clippy
 check it out this afternoon guy, maybe do a video if I have time.

No pressure bud. If you make a vid some day I would totes watch it

12 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I'll give this one a shot.

Thanks friend I really enjoy your videos and the version of Doom you play

You're usually good at figuring out my maps in finding the secrets I assume you do pre recording look about eh

I liked it very much. I liked the 'amateurish' 90s style. The map had nice atmosphere and puzzles, even if your texture use was a bit overwrought at times. I meant to record a demo but forgot to. I died by 

a spider mastermind in a pit

I will give this another go and record. Good job!

14 minutes ago, Hellbent said:

I liked it very much. I liked the 'amateurish' 90s style. The map had nice atmosphere and puzzles, even if your texture use was a bit overwrought at times. I meant to record a demo but forgot to. I died by 

Hide contents

a spider mastermind in a pit

I will give this another go and record. Good job!

Glad ya liked my map ha ha. Always love watching ppl play too :)

9 hours ago, Clippy said:

MapInfo seems like the easiest way to do it? Not sure why you recommend me to do it another way?

Which mapping format are you using? MAPINFO is specific to ZDoom source ports. I think the reason for that recommendation is retain compatibility with more vanilla source ports if you are using vanilla/Boom mapping format. If you are mapping in UDMF then yes, no reason to anything other than MAPINFO

49 minutes ago, Horus said:

Which mapping format are you using? MAPINFO is specific to ZDoom source ports. I think the reason for that recommendation is retain compatibility with more vanilla source ports if you are using vanilla/Boom mapping format. If you are mapping in UDMF then yes, no reason to anything other than MAPINFO

Hey there I'm not very technical at the stuff

I only playing zdoom and didn't realize map info only translated to zdoom

I just use Doom builder and make vanilla style maps because I just find that fun and easy

Did somebody say party?

Well, let me find an appropriate mixtape for this!

Spoiler

1 hour ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Here's a clump FDAs, recorded in prboom+ complevel 2

noisy_cpp_fda.zip

It "works" in limit removing (probably vanilla too) but there's a softlock near the beginning (you can trap yourself in the square door)

Sorry to say I have a crappy computer and only operate Zdoom

Looks like I won't be able to view your plays :(

On UV I really think you need bigger weapons earlier. I'm sure I missed something, but I ended up having to use only a Chaingun and Shotgun on a Spider Mastermind, and killing a bunch of Cacodemons, Revenants and a Baron with only those weapons is also less than fun. I did see a Rocket Launcher but didn't work out how to get it and then just moved on with the level.

I feel like the huge open area could have been used for something more, but overall a pretty quirky level!

1 hour ago, Degree23 said:

On UV I really think you need bigger weapons earlier. I'm sure I missed something, but I ended up having to use only a Chaingun and Shotgun on a Spider Mastermind, and killing a bunch of Cacodemons, Revenants and a Baron with only those weapons is also less than fun. I did see a Rocket Launcher but didn't work out how to get it and then just moved on with the level.

I feel like the huge open area could have been used for something more, but overall a pretty quirky level!

Thanks friend

I did something weird here. You can go straight right off the bat to grab the double shotgun through the exit teleporter and up the stairs

This also kills that pesky revenant via telefrag for you so he doesn't bother you when you're around the pit

Go straight from the chessboard room first

So I was hoping some ppl might explore the exit early to just have a look around

I don't think anyone did haha

I'll post a playthrough later to reveal that and the secrets 

I watched your playthrough so I feel I cheated some of the secret locations. Very nice Hell ambiented map man. Here´s my playthrough:

ou shit i just watched your secrets revealed video... i hate you... i took the teleporter from behind once, i didn't expect that i needed to do it twice. HATE

2 hours ago, Zolgia108 said:

ou shit i just watched your secrets revealed video... i hate you... i took the teleporter from behind once, i didn't expect that i needed to do it twice. HATE

I love it lol.