Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Impso

small nitpicks?

10 hours ago, D88M3R said:

They changed and added a lot of things but i think they should had just modernize everything

So if you dont like it the changes made/not a copy paste of the original, it's not Doom?

So i guess Doom 3 is not Doom?

Gotcha.

Keep parroting that maybe it will become true someday.

I kinda like how the purple goo is like the only thing I've seen the community almost entirely agree is bad. Marauders? Decisive at first, but as more ways to kill them are found, their impact is lessened and people like them more. Doom dance? It's hit or miss, certainly a matter of preference, but those who like it definitely enjoy what it added to the combat. The purple goo, though? I don't think I've ever seen a single person praise it, and a lot of the better players I've watched seem to universally loathe it. I'd be very interested in the designer's thoughts as to why it was added.

IGN did a Developers react to Doom Eternal speedrun and even the developers know how bad the purple goo is.

Which is probably why it was used in only select places.

One reason I don't like Doom Eternal is Hugo Martin's plan of "throwing whatever videogame tropes we can onto the wall to see what sticks", and he did practically throw EVERYTHING including the kitchen sink into this game, resulting in the bloatware that Yahtzee talks about. The purple shit is one thing, but I particularly hated the stupid Buff Totems, which are easy to find and ridiculously easy to destroy. Just stupid. Not to mention the countless other things he threw in, but they're less of an issue.

5 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

So if you dont like it the changes made/not a copy paste of the original, it's not Doom?

Gotcha.

It's gotten to the point where Doom is not even Doom.

Okay I feel I should weigh in here: I like the purple goo. Just so people know not EVERYONE hates the goo.

I kind of see what they were going for with the purple goo, and I respect it. limiting a player's mobility in a game where mobility is key forces the player to get creative and adopt a new method to stay alive, especially on harder difficulties. 
That's not what the purple goo does. No. The purple goo slashes your hamstrings and expects you to walk through chest-high salt water while starved pirahnnas (I can already tell I botched that) are released on you. 

The purple goo was kinda shit in Exultia since it's forced upon the player a couple times.

It's used much better in Arc Complex since it can always be avoided in that level, and shows its potential as a nice alternative to other floor hazards where it logically punishes players for not using their movement abilities correctly, but can also be recovered from without a RAD suit.

I've played games where annoying obstacles like the purple goo are much more frequent. In Doom Eternal it was used what, three times? So while it was annoying at first, its inclusion in the game as a whole honestly doesn't bother me. Especially now that I'm able to equip the Seek and Destroy rune to take advantage of the fact that Glory Kills are unaffected by the purple goo.

Not praising the purple goo, but not hating it either. Its just ok, an interesting floor hazard which doesn't appear too often and should remain that way.

It's too easy to trivialize most of the super heavy enemies for how many crucible charges you get. You end up saving charges, not really using them on mid tier demons, compounding the issue.

If I was the Icon of Sin, I would have just walked away after losing 3 armor plates. Go surfing or something while spacetime collapsed around me. The Slayer ain't catching up.

Biggest complaints from most annoying to least

1. Platforming in Urdak

2. Floating green weapon pickups

3. Question mark secrets

4. Story is a bit cheesy

5. 'Tyrants' should be more difficult 

Luckily most of these are just design choices and can be fixed with proper modding tools in the future.

On 4/25/2020 at 2:23 PM, jazzmaster9 said:

Gotcha.

No, i think they should take all the concepts and stuff from Doom 1 and 2 and make a modern game with it.
I have said a lot of times what stuff feels out of place (and i am not the only one) or just sucks or is poorly implemented etc. 
And Doom 3 felt like Doom to me, even with the different stuff. 
The new ones too but only sometimes, the developers are overthinking it.

On 4/25/2020 at 11:54 PM, Mr. Impso said:

I kind of see what they were going for with the purple goo, and I respect it. limiting a player's mobility in a game where mobility is key forces the player to get creative and adopt a new method to stay alive, especially on harder difficulties. 
That's not what the purple goo does. No. The purple goo slashes your hamstrings and expects you to walk through chest-high salt water while starved pirahnnas (I can already tell I botched that) are released on you. 

Same thing as weapon mods: They expect you to use all weapon mods in a fight, but there is only one in each weapon that actuallt feels useful and the others are a matter of preference. So, for example, i never use another one than the sticky bombs for the shotgun, even though the game forces you to upgrade everything anyway.

2 hours ago, D88M3R said:

i think they should take all the concepts and stuff from Doom 1 and 2 and make a modern game with it.

2 hours ago, D88M3R said:

Doom 3 felt like Doom to me, even with the different stuff. 

So it's only Doom if you like the changes? Got it.

4 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

So it's only Doom if you like the changes? Got it.

That's called an opinion and it's ok. What's yours on what makes Doom "Doom"?

8 minutes ago, Deimos said:

That's called an opinion and it's ok. What's yours on what makes Doom "Doom"?

No one can really determine what Doom is, its not a matter of Opinion when you blatantly say something IS or ISN'T something.

in it's simplest form, Doom is where you shoot Demon's cuz the Scientist were idiots. but even that can be used to to describe countless other games.

But at the same time im not going to look at Doom Eternal and say, "yep that sure is Half life"

Just now, jazzmaster9 said:

No one can really determine what Doom is, its not a matter of Opinion when you blatantly say something IS or ISN'T something.

Yet sometimes you can feel a new game adds something that feels out of place and kinda shits on the parade. We see that sentiment every new entry and i'm ok with people placing these at any point they want. Subjectivity is everybody's blind spot without exception.

12 minutes ago, Deimos said:

Yet sometimes you can feel a new game adds something that feels out of place and kinda shits on the parade. 

At the same time, the additions to Doom Eternal weren't SO out of place that it was no longer recognizable as "Doom"

Even Doom 3, with the direction it took, still was recognizably Doom because it still had the essential, UAC makes Hell gate, we're dead

Just now, jazzmaster9 said:

At the same time, the additions to Doom Eternal weren't SO out of place that it was no longer recognizable as "Doom"

Even Doom 3, with the direction it took, still was recognizably Doom because it still had the essential, UAC makes Hell gate, we're dead

That's where it's subjective and the appreciation and communication of it will vary in subtlety from one person to an other, for example, head popping sounds to me is just too cartoony compared to the rest of the game, and out of place in a doom game. Saying it's not doom in that context would be just like saying to you "it's not you" if you do something i judge out of character. Of course it goes without saying that it's an opinion and someone could deny that "it's not you"

1 hour ago, Deimos said:

Saying it's not doom in that context would be just like saying to you "it's not you" if you do something i judge out of character. 

well the thing is, the head popping sound is NOT out of character for Doom Eternal, its Part of the intended experience.

Yet when i hear it, it takes my brain out of the action somehow and it feels weird. You just fell yourself in the "NOT" trap when i voiced my opinion.

My one minor gripe is how the eyes of the gladiator don't always flash when he goes to attack. It just feels a bit cheap. This happened when playing on both xbox one and my shitty work pc.

1 hour ago, LordBehemoth said:

My one minor gripe is how the eyes of the gladiator don't always flash when he goes to attack. It just feels a bit cheap. This happened when playing on both xbox one and my shitty work pc.

I thought Doom Eternal was NSFW? ;)