Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Crash As Doom 6's Protagonist

What do you think? To me it would be awesome. If there will ever be a new Doom game, she should be the hero in it, with the Doom Marine being selectable or an unlock.

30 minutes ago, User Name said:

Ugh. It's like Doom Annihilation all over again.

^.

As DLC/expansion, maybe, but not as the peotagonist of the base game.

I don't have any issue with it personally and it would be core to expand the lore with other characters, but. . . we all saw the retarded backlash Annihilation got because there was a woman in it (that's not to say the movie didn't have flaws of course; I'm just referencing the backlash centered around the protagonist). I mean, freak, look at the comment above me. So for that reason I think it would be a mistake at least from a marketing perspective.

Edit: Two comments above me, seed slipped in right before I posted. XD

As long as the gameplay is preserved and placed above all else, I would not mind at all playing as crash, actually it would be a nice change of pace. It's unlikely, however, because the Doom Slayer is such a meme now, everyone loves the guy, and he's pretty fun. But to me, character does not define the Doom experience and as long as the protagonist can rip and tear, and is a person of few words, I can give a rats ass who it is. I do think they should update her design though, imo its a bit too goofy, with the huge boots and helmet, its kinda off proportionally, like she was called into work and didn't have time to change completely, so had to settle for the pair of jeans she already had on.

1 hour ago, Faceman2000 said:

I don't have any issue with it personally and it would be core to expand the lore with other characters, but. . . we all saw the retarded backlash Annihilation got because there was a woman in it (that's not to say the movie didn't have flaws of course; I'm just referencing the backlash centered around the protagonist). I mean, freak, look at the comment above me. So for that reason I think it would be a mistake at least from a marketing perspective.

Edit: Two comments above me, seed slipped in right before I posted. XD

Seriously? The movie failed because the protagonist was a woman? That's idiotic.

As Egg has said, gameplay is important.

An other issue is that changing characters would would probably drive them to add voice acting to differentiate them and no thanks, i think one liners are already more than enough in quake champions...

Halo 5 barely had Master Chief in it and it still did considerably well. A new character like Crash or Phobos even would be interesting to see, it'd also switch up the gameplay, since not every space marine can be Doomslayer.

1 hour ago, The Strife Commando said:

Seriously? The movie failed because the protagonist was a woman? That's idiotic.

Good thing I specifically took the time to point out that’s not what I was saying in my post.

That was the female Doom marine in Quake 3 right?

I have no idea why this would be a good idea. Basically everything about the new games is wrapped up in the idea of the Doom Slayer. I am not really sure Quake 3 could rightly be considered "lore friendly". Besides, who is going to realise the significance of a character from a 20 year old multiplayer game that was played by comparatively few people.

I am curious as to why exactly you thought this would be a good idea? It would be a rather dramatic right turn for the series. Not to mention the interminable cries from anti-SJW manbabies flooding the forum.

53 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Not to mention the interminable cries from anti-SJW manbabies flooding the forum.

Like there haven't been women in powerful positions in games before. Metroid, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, Unreal, Silent Hill 3, just to name six.

Replacing the main character of your long running series as the mainline protagonist (I.E Crash being the protagonist of Doom 6), out of the blue just because you can is a great way of losing faith and pissing people off, rarely met with praise.

Taking someone as iconic as Doomguy/Slayer (everyone who even knows what games are right now can probably look at Doomguy/Slayer and see Doom) and replacing them with a nobody (let's be real here, Crash isn't some "strong female character" like your Samus or Shelly but are infact a 2D side character in an arena shooter) isn't exactly going to be well recieved (see: initial reaction to Metal Gear Solid 2), it would be especially dumb seeing as though they just put all that effort into trying to make actually make a character.

The reaction probably goes like this:

Handful of hardcores: "Oh that's Crash, cool"

Most hardcores: "Why?"

Everyone else: "Who?"

2 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Like there haven't been women in powerful positions in games before. Metroid, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, Unreal, Silent Hill 3, just to name six.

Only weak little boys fear strong women. I have no problem with them. I am engaged to the toughest woman I have ever met. Her mental strength boggles my mind on a pretty much daily basis.

That said, would a sudden pivot to a different protagonist - female or male - make sense for the primary Doom games as they stand? Personally, I think not. As a side story, absolutely. I would find a Doom Eternal DLC featuring a different protagonist - perhaps a resistance fighter on Earth - quite fascinating. It would be a perfect opportunity to tell another part of the story a la Half Life: Opposing Force. A female protagonist here would do just as well. Given the Doom Slayer is enhanced, perhaps the DLC could end up being more survival horror orientated? I think that would be quite awesome.

I believe it should be the other way around. In the hypothetical "Doom 6" or even Doom Eternal Co-Op if that comes out, there could be an option to play as Crash or even Ranger (AKA Quakeguy). Having just Crash as the protagonist would be trivial though.

Wasn't the Doom Marine in Classic Doom supposed to be you? Also, what difference would it make to have another Doom Marine as the protagonist?

Edited by The Strife Commando

52 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Wasn't the Doom Marine in Classic Doom supposed to be you? Also, what difference would it make to have another Doom Marine as the protagonist?

In classic Doom, the marine is the player. In modern Doom, the Slayer is an integral character to the lore, and a major player in the plot and backstory. So, like I said earlier, its not likely to happen in Doom 6, that is, unless its a reboot, if that were the case, I see no real arguments against the idea of a female protagonist. I think a more realistic sentiment is playing as Crash (or an equivalent) in Doom Eternal DLC. Which I would also be totally on-board with.

1 hour ago, The Strife Commando said:

In the classic Doom games, its true that the protagonist is meant to be you. However in modern games, the Slayer is a proper character now and replacing the protagonist just for the sake of change is never a good idea. Even replacing him with another male protagonist would be terrible, let alone a female protagonist which would provide fuel for the anti-SJW crybabies to review bomb the game (like what happened to Doom Annihilation).

Let me ask you how you would feel if *Perfect Dark's protagonist got replaced by another character in a future game. You would obviously feel gutted. The same applies here.

* Yes I know Perfect Dark is your favourite fps, which is exactly why I mentioned it.

At the very best, I could see different protagonist work in a DLC or spin-off title. Even then, it should be someone other than Crash since only those who know about Quake 3 really know who she is.

15 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

They are more likely to name the next title Doom 666

That's... that's actually a cool idea. If id makes another Doom game, they should call it that.

(although I think they should make a single player Quake game now instead of a 3rd Doom game)

I think that's a neat idea, maybe some time when she was training doomguy should be included

12 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

What do you think? To me it would be awesome. If there will ever be a new Doom game, she should be the hero in it, with the Doom Marine being selectable or an unlock.

Ooooohhhhhhh hell no.

I saw some Doom: Annihilation references here already, but it still oddly wreaks of Amy Manson's infamously tone-deaf "Who needs a Doomguy?" tweet.  Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I don't think this was your intention at all.  However, you gotta understand the iconic nature of the Doomguy.  Unchanging.  Uncompromising.  Unyielding.  An embodiment of swift justice.  A man whose name and story are not important, all that matters is his desire to fix by breaking, and the challenges that lay ahead of him.  To put some other character into the Doomguy's shoes and say that he or she is capable of doing the same stuff, in the actual lineage of Doom, would be very much an insult.  I like strong female characters as much as the next guy, but c'mon... it's kinda asking too much to make someone else the main character of the main game.  At most, I can see spinoffs happening (like DOOM VFR, only it's not VR-exclusive and it doesn't suck :P ).

My take on Crash in the Doomiverse:

Spoiler

I will spill my take on it for you, though... what if Crash was a Night Sentinel?  She could be one of the Argenta people, and the Codex entries in DOOM Eternal that revealed a bit of insight as to how the Sentinels operated mentioned "brother" and "sister" Sentinels, who chose the path of either soldier or alchemist.  If she were to be revealed in DOOM Eternal, I imagined she could be an uncorrupted Marauder.  She'd have the axe.  She'd have the shield.  She'd have an unmodified Super Shotgun, and she could be a companion to the Doom Slayer.  The Doom series wasn't much of a companion-shooter, though... so it'd be interesting to see how that'd be implemented if at all.  "Crash" would be a nickname given to her by the people of Earth, but she should have a more Sentinelesque name that'd sound enough like "Crash" to warrant the nickname.

My take on Crash as a playable character:

Spoiler

If she were to be a playable character, she should have her own campaign (much like DOOM VFR, only it's not VR-exclusive and it doesn't suck :P ).  I had discussed the possibilities with some friends, and together we came up with the idea that she should be a lot more evasive and mobility-oriented.  Squishier than the Slayer, but with other options available to her.  She'd have the Meat Hook strapped to her arm, so she can Meat Hook with any weapon available.  She should have access to the Ballista, since it's Sentinel weaponry, and utilize her axe (not like the Slayer's Crucible Blade) to cut down anyone who gets too close (and with actually decent melee damage, yeah?).  The Marauder's Energy Shield should also be present since she'd be an uncorrupted Marauder, and she can use it to bash and to block.  She can summon Sentinel beasts, like a wolf, or maybe something else (since the Codex didn't imply a restriction to just wolves) in place of the Equipment the Slayer has access to.  Beyond that, some new, custom weapons made for Crash to use.  Let's see what other guns the Sentinels had access to, and let Crash access 'em?  They could even function the same as some of the Slayer's weapons, but would actually look and sound different (beyond skins).

What do you guys think?

I for one have always felt Doom was sorely lacking official player skins that change your race and gender as well as other details about the player's appearance.

I'm not saying replace the classic Doomguy, obviously that would be lame and dumb, but an (unlockable maybe?) female variant would be excellent. Hell, I'd even go as far as to suggest a slider where you can change skin color, but as poorly as people react to the thought of doomguy being toggleable as a female (gasp!) just imagine the shock and horror of being able to play as a minority! How unthinkable!

That's right mofos, I'm ready for you to scream "SJW" at me now because I insinuated that females and other races exist and maybe deserve an option to make the player more closely resemble themselves. Do it, you swine!

That's a joke, by the way. Just adding this in before someone blows a gasket at me..

Also fwiw, Doom Annihilation was awful because the writing was shit, dialogue was cringe-inducing and the acting was as wooden as a fucking tree. The fact that the actresses didn't have dongs had basically nothing to do with the film sucking.

tl;dr - Make Crash an optional player for Doom 6, dammit! Show you have the BALLS to give us a player who literally does not have balls! Or just play it safe like chickens! Bock!

Edited by Doomkid

I'll be honest with you all, I didn't really know who Crash was other than a bot in Zandronum until now...

I think it would be cool if Crash and/or Phobos got more of a showing. Doomguy is the main man, but I like the idea of there being other heroes in the Doom universe.