Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

How Bad Is The Doom Subreddit?

I've heard many things about the people there being 12 year old edgelords that think BD is the actual original Doom, and that they spend their time upvoting bad jokes instead of actual relevant discussion. Is that place in particular so bad? Sorry if I sound like a wimp, but I would rather not look into it myself...

I just checked it out and its just a bunch of shitty memes and low effort posts. For example, this image is the highest rated post of all time over there.

image.png.357746ca4b82d2bab9e7ee700243ac58.png

Just now, Doominator2 said:

I just checked it out and its just a bunch of shitty memes and low effort posts. For example, this image is the highest rated post of all time over there.

image.png.357746ca4b82d2bab9e7ee700243ac58.png

... So they think Doom is a simple power fantasy?

extremely

you should have seen it around the time of Doom: Annihilation's release

2 hours ago, Doominator2 said:

I just checked it out and its just a bunch of shitty memes and low effort posts.

That's basically all of Reddit.

• Reddit's ''that place'' of the Internet you go to for non-serious discussions on anything.
  • Doomers go to ''that other place'' for non-serious discussions on Doom.

What that other place is?

300x50.gif

14 minutes ago, NoahRules said:

I'm waiting for some r/doom user to screenshot this thread then post it to r/doom and say "LOoK HOw ToXiC ThESe GuYs ArE"

Sssh they might hear you!  I generally agree it is mostly low effort meme/circlejerking about the newer games (not that there is anything wrong with enjoying the new games) and the very little discussion there is about anything cool related to ANY of the doom games is drowned out.  Sad as I think it would be a big gateway to people who either have or have not played the original games and they would be poorly served by going to that subreddit if they wanted to get in/get back in to it.

I see the majority of Reddit as Twitter of the opposite political/ideological spectrum. All the same flaws, different sides.
@Doominator2 I mean, one of the messages in the meme ("it's okay to play DOOM in lower difficulties") is okay. Another (suggesting that DOOM is a power fantasy) is not.

Terrible. It's a cesspool of dislikable memes and one of their rules is no low effort posts when that's all of their posts.

I feel like pretty much all gaming subreddits are devoted 95% to posting memes and 5% to actual discussion.

I had a look at it, and half the posts on page 1 were:

1. Pictures of movies/paintings/spongebob with doom characters' faces badly photoshopped in.

2. Ingame screenshots with OTJNjJo.pngpasted over them.

The rest just random gameplay videos and screenshots. No discussions in sight :p

Edited by xdarkmasterx

10 minutes ago, JudgeDeadd said:

I feel like pretty much all gaming subreddits are devoted 95% to posting memes and 5% to actual discussion.

The only two that I'm subscribed to (/r/residentevil and /r/pathofexile) have memes but the discussion outweighs everything else. 

There was this effort by Kevansevans and co to stop memebers from posting low effort images.

Low effort memes are only allowed on Sundays, starting at midnight CST, and ending 24 hours after. Please use the linked time converter to adjust for your local time zone. Use of the "Meme Sunday" flair outside of this time frame will result in your post being removed regardless.

The mods judge memes on this template every other day of the week.

oBLkQpP.png

As clearly seen on the subreddit, this effort went nowhere (or just a little) and I'm sad for that.

The Flanderization of what Doom is really sad.

Nonetheless, fuck Reddit, especially /r/Doom, they're the main reason why I won't even TOUCH Doom Eternal.

49 minutes ago, JudgeDeadd said:

I feel like pretty much all subreddits are devoted 95% to posting memes and 5% to actual discussion.

ftfy

Damn. Good thing we have Doomworld, a place where we can have profound discussions about our favorite video game.

I'm still subscribed to r/Doom because sometimes you get some really nice artwork, or the very occasional good post. It's a pretty low signal-to-noise ratio though.

It was an OK low-traffic subreddit, if a bit too enthusiastic for Brutal Doom, before Doom 2016 came out. Even after that, it wasn't too bad until Eternal got announced. It's been pretty much meme central since then.

Haven't really paid much attention to the meme posts, but of the threads I've seen there, it was astounding how so many posts had misconceptions about the classic Doom games, ports, source ports, etc. Not deliberate misinformation, but it's like they know so little about the games.

I just browse with the CringeBlock+ plugin. Easy solution. Only 5% of the content makes it through the filter, but what does come through doesn’t make me want to gouge my eyes out, so that’s a plus.

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

CringeBlock+

Why did nobody tell me about this plugin before!? I'd be much more sane in the 'net if I got my hand on this.

11 hours ago, NoahRules said:

Bad. It's just bad.

I thought reddit in general was bad.

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I just browse with the CringeBlock+ plugin. Easy solution. Only 5% of the content makes it through the filter, but what does come through doesn’t make me want to gouge my eyes out, so that’s a plus.

This should be in "25 hacks that make life easier".

58 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

This should be in "25 hacks that make life easier".

And the most ironic thing is, that CringeBlock would probably block those kinds of videos!