Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artman2004

Is there any unused/cut content in Doom 3?

I'm just wondering if there are any unused models, sounds, or textures in Doom 3.

Edited by Artman2004

Well for the BFG/2019 Edition they still have the controller layouts and shaders for the other systems (for the shaders applies to some of them) and the original flash light (model, animations and logic) is still there. 

Of course those are things I have discover and unlock/reuse with my source port. But aside from that I don't know about anything else.

There was this:

But as you'll find out if you read the whole thread, it's actually a part of the Invulnerability Hunter in ROE. Still, it was part of vanilla Doom 3 and it's unused in there.

4 hours ago, MadGuy said:

Well for the BFG/2019 Edition they still have the controller layouts and shaders for the other systems (for the shaders applies to some of them) and the original flash light (model, animations and logic) is still there. 

Of course those are things I have discover and unlock/reuse with my source port. But aside from that I don't know about anything else.

I'm talking about the original Doom 3, not the re-releases. Sorry.

Arl's monster is the only example of unused content I am aware of (Gez posted the link above).

id Software seemed to be rather efficient in eliminating unused stuff/unnecessary disc space from their game. The things that were different in the Alpha version were removed or replaced https://tcrf.net/Proto:Doom_3/E3_2002_Alpha

Don't know if this counts: There are some texture entries in the material files that point to textures that aren't there anymore.

There are some unused audio files from the infirmary sequence in Mars City.

13 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

Don't know if this counts: There are some texture entries in the material files that point to textures that aren't there anymore.

Indeed. Interestingly BFG Edition has those textures and sounds that were missing in OG Doom 3 but were referenced in declaration files anyways.

16 hours ago, Arl said:

Indeed. Interestingly BFG Edition has those textures and sounds that were missing in OG Doom 3 but were referenced in declaration files anyways.

That's interesting. Are those textures any good? I guess they aren't used in the BFG edition as well?

I just found out yesterday that Doom 3 was going to have flares at some point during development. After hearing about it, I honestly would prefer that over the flashlight we got.

In the alpha Doom III  there were reflections on the glasses, but they were prerendered and didn't reflect monsters or zombies. In the final version, the reflections were removed, replacing them with a distortion effect.

I did hear about a railgun and even a flamethrower somewhere in development. Don't know about the flamethrower though, but the Cutting Room Floor mentions a railgun. I wonder how that would've turned out.

18 hours ago, Pankrat said:

In the alpha Doom III  there were reflections on the glasses, but they were prerendered and didn't reflect monsters or zombies. In the final version, the reflections were removed, replacing them with a distortion effect.

They weren't prerendered, it reflected everything, monsters included.

The material effect "mirrorRenderMap # #" is still present in the final game, but never used.

I think I saw that glass mirror effect in a custom level.

12 hours ago, PaulRazvan95 said:

Probably like a Railgun

Maybe like the Gauss Cannon in Doom 2016.

Just now, Arl said:

They weren't prerendered, it reflected everything, monsters included.

I read about this before and specifically downloaded the Doom III Alpha to check it out. On map e3_2 reflections are prerendered. 

As an example in this screenshot, the door is visible in reflection, but the UAC emblem is not reflected. I also lured zombies there and he also did not reflect.

shot0000.jpg

Thats not a reflection, that's a common cube map, just as any other game.

Go further in the map, you'll find an actuall reflective glass.

On some frames of the E3 2003 you can see soft shadows. It is strange that in the final version it was impossible to turn them on (only in screenshots, and this became known only in 2006 from comments by developers of Prey). At the same time, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and F.E.A.R., games of the same age as Doom 3, had soft shadows.

SS.jpg

4 hours ago, N1ck said:

Well there is this thing. The place I found it says it has no AI and is just a model. Kinda looks like a shambler from Quake.

download.png

Arl reanimated That model.I actually put in my BFG edition mod