Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foebane72

Was Doom 2016 Better Than Doom Eternal?

Currently I have put in 50 hours to Doom 2016 (got it on release) and 68 hours in Doom Eternal which I also got on release date.  Doom Eternal is simply more engaging and fun to me, much harder to put down than 2016 was.

Doom 2016 is better in every aspect about gameplay, game mods or creation tools. Technically Doom Eternal is better, because of new engine, but everything else is a way worse.

"Here bunch of guns and ammo for you, have fun"
VS
"You will fight as was intended by the developers or you will die......good, I take you silence as wisdom, NOW GET TO WORK!!"

What to choose...what to choose...

I honestly love them both.

They both are still great. I love the brutality that both offered and how they went about blazing a different path. Doom was the first game I EVER played. To see it revived gives me such joy. I hope that they keep going.

8 hours ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

VS
"You will fight as was intended by the developers or you will die......good, I take you silence as wisdom, NOW GET TO WORK!!"

so its a choice between a power fantasy and Learning/Skill

12 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

so its a choice between a power fantasy and Learning/Skill

Learn what? To use chainsaw as soon as it cool down/reloads? Wow, so much skill (no)

I preferred Eternal, by a long shot. 2016 was fun, but pretty bland in most respects, with slow movement, linear levels and repetitive fights. In fact, it felt a lot like a post-hexen ravensoft shooter (in the vein of return to wolfenstein or jedi outcast), competent but unremarkable.

Eternal I think improved on it in almost every way that matters to me. Movement is much more fun to use thanks to the dash, the threat of running out of ammo made me switch weapons constantly instead of just using the fastest killing guns throughout the fight, enemies are more varied etc. The only thing I liked more about 2016 were the boss battles. Eternal is probably the most mechanically sound FPS game I've ever played (paradoxially, I still prefer classic doom, though :p), people say the mechanics feel bloated, I say they are what make it stand out.

Eternal is the better game overall, in my opinion. Though perhaps Doom 2016 was the more impactful release.

Doom 2016 has some problems in that it becomes trivially easy at a certain point, even on Nightmare difficulty.

Eternal is overall better. The purple goo and toxic water stand as blemishes and the lack of modding/map making tools really hurts but, as a whole, it adds enough and improves the aesthetic enough that it places it above 2016.

On 4/27/2020 at 9:08 PM, seed said:

They both have their strengths and weaknesses, it's more or less like the Doom 1 vs Doom 2 enigma.

Eternal has better art, improved combat, and more interesting, diverse levels than 2016 had. 2016 was, and still is, great, but it gets far more repetitive than Eternal ever does. I'd say Eternal is the better game, but since they're both solid anyway, it's more like a matter of preference than anything.

Yeah, it really seems like that.
But i think i prefer Doom Eternal, it is just easier to pick it up and run through a Level killing everything.
That's why i also prefer playing Doom 1 every now and than. I Pick it up and i'm running through an Episode.

Imho Doom 2016 and Eternal are both really good. Love that they made such Games.

No, it was not.

Doom 2016 does certain things better than Doom Eternal does.  Its story is leaner and is told more subtly and effectively.  The player progression is more balanced over the course of the game.  The gameplay is simpler and more digestible for non-FPS veterans to pick up quickly.  Many of the levels are more maze-like and less linear than in Doom Eternal.  The platforming is more organic in that yes, while there is a fair amount of platforming, it often feels like you are jumping and grabbing onto ledges and abutments that might really exist (e.g., Argent Tower).  The visuals are moodier and more atmospheric.  

But Doom Eternal is just so much better where it really counts: gameplay.  The gameplay loop is far more intricate, complex, challenging, and for lack of a better word, thoughtful, making it much more rewarding once you grasp it.  The game also avoids Doom 2016's biggest drawback in my opinion, and that's repetitiveness.  Doom Eternal continues to unveil new environments, weapons, techniques, and monsters all the way until the very end.  The visuals are fresher, more colorful, and ultimately more interesting; Nekravol in particular portrays a video game version of Hell far more interestingly and effectively than Doom 2016 does.  And while generally more linear, several levels in Doom Eternal have tricks up their proverbial sleeve from a storytelling perspective that to a large extent makes it up for any lack of complexity: for example, the escape sequence in Super Gore Nest, the mid-level explosion in Mars Core, the taunting and boss "foreshadowing" in Doom Hunter Base.  Doom Eternal might also have the best sound effects of any FPS game I've ever played.  

TL;DR - Both games are great, plenty of things to love and appreciate about Doom 2016, but at the end of the day Doom Eternal is better and, in particular, is better where it really counts and that's gameplay.      

I will say eternal is much more linear in terms of combat, if you don't like the resource management you'll like 16 more

content wise: i think 2016 has better multiplayer and snapmap was an awesome feature that is sorely missed in eternal.

everything else: eternal TRUMPS 2016 and feels much more like classic doom, and i love the the fact that doom, doom 2 and 64 are made canonical. 

On 5/1/2020 at 3:24 AM, Kronecker–Capelli said:

VS

"Spam SSG and Gauss until it dies"
VS
"Using weapons smartly and with thought like a normal human"

17 hours ago, ButteredToast said:

"Spam SSG and Gauss until it dies"
VS
"Using weapons smartly and with thought like a normal human"

"Shoot from whatever you want until it dies"
vs
"Change weapon after one single shot and repeat doing so until it dies"
Pikachu, I choose you!

No really, it even more brain dead than Serous Sam games. You dont even need to fall back for ammo/health/armor pickups.
Low on ammo? Use chainsaw.
Low on health? Use fatality kill.
Low on armor? Use flamethrower.

I see a reasons why it can be enjoyable, but it becomes repetitive waaaaaay to early.
I dont say its bad, but looking on the amount of Doom Eternal and Doom16, which almost equal to each other...

What i mainly prefer with 2016 over Eternal is the way it articulates story and environmental progression, it was more immersive. The hub system kinda gets in the way. Humor's subtlety was done better and tongue in cheek. If i want to know what game really is better i'm gonna need more time to pass to make my mind i think. The DLC isn't even out...

Although I think Eternal is the better game I noticed after playing Eternal for 60 minutes my jaw hurts due to teeth grinding. I enjoyed Doom 2016 more because it didn't force you into the flame belch / chainsaw / glory kill dance in every arena. After having a hard day at work I don't play Eternal.

I hope Eternal gets awarded for it's art direction and technology. It really deserves it.

4 hours ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

No really, it even more brain dead than Serous Sam games. 

Im sorry but this is just wrong. 

Peoples main gripe with Eternal is that its way to complicated/micro-mechanic focused so this is just wrong.

"Pickachu i choose you" really?

Your sad attempts of being a smug smart ass makes you looks more and more dumb.

On 5/2/2020 at 3:06 PM, Kronecker–Capelli said:

Learn what? To use chainsaw as soon as it cool down/reloads? Wow, so much skill (no)

Because spamming the Gauss Cannon over and over takes skill? (no)

You have obviously never played Eternal if you actually think that.

Try harder

Edit: Whoops accidental double post :(

10 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

way to complicated/micro-mechanic focused

What?
Okay, the first several times I launch DE I have some problems with it "what this button do, what happens on the screen, what should I press now, AAAAAAAAAAA".
But after some time I realize that I should play in it more more like a RPG than as shooter.
Quick intro how I play RPG

Spoiler

I have character with some skills. I run into group of enemies and start us character skills on it (on each enemy individually if its not AOE skill), starting from weakest to strongest.
Usually, the weakest skill have smallest cooldown time, second after weaker slightly bigger, third after....
Again, usually, if I have enough skills, as soon as I used last, strongest skill, weakest skill already recharged and I can use it again. Alternatively, if half way through skills weakest already recharged I switch back to it, if second after weakest ready too I use it, and so on.

Back to Eternal. After some time I realize that it uses same approach. You have bunch of skills like dash, blood punch...BUT weapons from this perspective are considered as skills too.
You have strictly limited number of uses per skill (weapons ammo reserve). Each skill have cooldown (weapon delay between next shot). Constantly usage of basic AOE multi hit skill (double barreled shotgun) is not an optimal choice, amount of usage is limited (ammo reserve) and you have other skills (weapons).
Add to it that you have upgrade for weapon swapping speed (this not exist in any RPG game because its just silly there) and BOOM...you should constantly use all weapons/skills you have all, all the time/as soon as it cooldown.
After I realized it I didnt have any particular difficulty with game. Except bosses, but its there are reason why the named bosses. And also falling into the lava pits, fuck platforming from first person perspective.

So again, what you mean by

11 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

way to complicated/micro-mechanic focused

is beyond my imagination.
Explain where there problem? The only problem is to realize how to play it "correctly" aka "as the developers intended".
Or constantly swapping from number 3 to number 5 then to number 7 and then back is "WOOOOOOOOOW, micro mechanics"? It default mechanics in all RPG. Except maybe WoW, but its MMORPG so it works differently.

Inb4 "you looks more and more dumb"

1 hour ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

But after some time I realize that I should play in it more more like a RPG than as shooter.

Which is why its silly to say Doom Eternal is more brainless than Serious sam

1 hour ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

So again, what you mean by...

is beyond my imagination...

you looks more and more dumb...

I have a feeling theres a language Barrier here... just a feeling.

Doom Eternal has made my face go numb from intensity at least twice and 2016 never did despite how great it was so nah.

Also yea 2016 got repetitive and secret hunting slowly became kinda tedious towards the end.

I think people are also being a little bit unfair on Serious Sam. I'm mainly familiar with the First and Second Encounter, and a bit of Serious Sam 2. They're not completely brain-dead shooters; target prioritisation and crowd management skills are definitely needed in the more hectic sections unless you're playing on the Tourist difficulty.

My play experience with Serious Sam is next to nothing, although I do remember how expansive the maps could be and how many enemies could be on screen at once.

I only played one SS game, and it had Egyptian temples and one map was an Aztec ziggurat in the Andes or something (very hilly) and yet the only enemy of note I remember were those bare-chested headless guys running at you with bombs in their hands, screaming (???) - they were really quite intimidating in numbers.

Apart from that brief experience, nope, nothing, really. All I thought was that SS was bringing back the sheer number of enemies that used to be in Doom 1 and 2, before polygons vastly diminished their numbers in later Dooms.