Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MatthewPhillips

Tell me more WADs that really capture the original Doom style

On my PC I have a folder for WADs, and that's divided into "To play" and "Finished!"

My "To Play" folder could really use for some more WADs done in the classic original Doom style. 

FYI I am 9 levels into "Doom 2 the Way id Did" and while I think they missed a few key design signatures that id Software / Romero wouldn't do, I am having lots of fun with them. Just randomly saw a review for it on the sidebar of this website and tried it out.

I also need to play "Doom 1 the Way id Did" if it exists?

And what else should I try?

1 minute ago, Devalaous said:

Thanks! For some reason the "Texas" link is broken, but I got it from Greece. Will try this out. Incidentally I did a search and found this from 2012:

I assume the one you linked is just the newest version? Looks like 2019?

check this topic:

Most of the megawads there are pretty good. Download link for all of them

Try Lunar Catastrophe. It's a complete 4-episode replacement of Ultimate Doom that was a Cacoward runner-up last year and, while it may not run outside ZDoom, it retains a very "retro" feel.

^ Wonderful Doom is indeed very close to the original maps and replaces all episodes, like a memory test if you will. Just make sure to download the latest version 1.3

You may like Alpha Accident and Gods & Guardians both by the same author as WD. 

I will check ALL of these out, thanks for the suggestions everyone!

FYI not looking just for "vanilla" textures, etc. but more specifically their layouts and how the play and feel.

I've yet to find anything that feels like the original Doom levels.

I hate to shamelesly promote my own Work but here goes anyway. Take a look at my old episode 1 replacement here. While I am not entirely convinced it's what you're looking for, I do feel that it won't disappoint at least :)

6 minutes ago, Chris Hansen said:

I hate to shamelesly promote my own Work but here goes anyway. Take a look at my old episode 1 replacement here. While I am not entirely convinced it's what you're looking for, I do feel that it won't disappoint at least :)

Just played the first level and got everything.

Question about the 2nd secret: I had to jump to get it, was there another way to do it? Will jumping be a necessity throughout this WAD?

Edited by MatthewPhillips

Finished the first 3 levels. Lots of fun and perfect length and so far they are exactly what I was hoping for, thank you!

I'd love to make some maps like this someday.

I hope it is like you want it. 

I finished that wad recently. I've patched all the bugs and now is ready to be played. That's the link: 

Vanilla assets. I recommend you to play it in UV.

For more info read the description here:

1 hour ago, MatthewPhillips said:

Just played the first level and got everything.

Question about the 2nd secret: I had to jump to get it, was there another way to do it? Will jumping be a necessity throughout this WAD?

Glad you like it so far! I made it 18 years ago so I don't remember every secret, but what I can say is that jumping is not intended in any of the levels. I actually think that the entire episode is 99% vanilla with only a few visplane overflows here and there and with no advanced, modern sourceport features implemented or intended.

I liked Base Ganymede and 2002 a Doom odyssey a lot

Tho Base Ganymede doesn't really capture Doom's style, mainly because it's more open and brutal, but still it feels a lot like classic Doom

3 hours ago, Chris Hansen said:

Glad you like it so far! I made it 18 years ago so I don't remember every secret, but what I can say is that jumping is not intended in any of the levels. I actually think that the entire episode is 99% vanilla with only a few visplane overflows here and there and with no advanced, modern sourceport features implemented or intended.

Just finished! Didn't find the 9th level, and I didn't get my rocket launcher until like level 6 but I really enjoyed all 8 maps! I did get very lost a few times. 

You like

Spoiler

your timed switches LOL

If you have any more like this let me know.

-NJ Doom2 was the first (decent) D2 megawad

-Fava Beans is basically the quintessential E1 style wad

-UnAligned feels fun yet very authentically old school

-It’s a partial conversion, but STRAIN

-THT: Threnody is a good blend of the old with a dash of the new

-Doom64 for Doom2 is a must-play vanilla wad

-Coffee Break is an episode I simply enjoy that’s not mentioned enough

Also a bunch of my stuff is very much vanilla and people seem to like it:

-Rowdy Rudy’s Revenge 

-Ray Mohawk’s Manic Monday

-The Devilz Work

-The Sinister Seven

-Shovelware Adventure

That should keep you going for a while! None of the wads listed here is balls-out hard, either - most of them are very chilled out and fun to play.

DTWID has a "Lost Levels" mappack made of levels that didn't make the cut. Great stuff there.

Also check out Classic Episode.

Only putting down some stuff I don't already see in here, for UD. I have a harder time for DooM II identifying what is really 'original style'...

I recommend Monument by @Chris Hansen as well. Plus Gore M1/M2.

Incineration by @pcorf

Deimos Deja Vu by @hervoheebo

Bedlam by various

Hadron E2 by @cannonball (more like E2 than E1 is like E1)

End1/2 by @NaturalTvventy and No End in Sight by NaturalTvventy et al

Sinergy by @Crunchynut44

Ultimate Needs More Detail by Fiend

Stoned/Iconic/Abyssus/Centrum/Maledictio by Mr. Chris

Mapgame and Project Notebook by @rf`

Dawn of/No Sleep for the Dead by jan van der veken

Deadly Standards 1/2 by various

Eternal Damnation by @DMPhobos

Mini Doom by @Phobus

Double Impact (though very tough!) by @Ralphis and @RottKing

Edited by FrancisT18

12 hours ago, MatthewPhillips said:

Just finished! Didn't find the 9th level, and I didn't get my rocket launcher until like level 6 but I really enjoyed all 8 maps! I did get very lost a few times. 

You like

Reveal hidden contents

your timed switches LOL

If you have any more like this let me know.

Well, I've enjoyed making levels for Ult Doom, so you should be able to find something akin to CH Retro on my website. Or as FrancisT18 said there's also Monument. Although that set is a bit different with a couple of sound replacements, new sky, new music and a darker palette. My other maps for Ult. Doom are more straight forward :)

On 4/30/2020 at 8:58 PM, Lila Feuer said:

I heard Wonderful Doom is very close to the original style, I think it replaces three episodes.

I'm 8 levels into Wonderful Doom and this is a good retro .WAD so far. 

It's not holding my interest like the first 4-5 levels did but I may come back to it.

We need a Wonderful Doom 2 and a Wonderful Final Doom. Wonderful Heretic?

I love the idea of remixing the old classic levels, wish it caught on further. Eternal has done it for Doom 2 and TNT, but only the first episode.

5 hours ago, MatthewPhillips said:

Haha I tried this out, and I survived a whole 15 seconds on your "Bonus" level on Hurt Me Plenty, ooooof.

UPDATE! I am on LEVEL 6 of No Sleep For The Dead now!

After replaying LEVEL 1 and trying better use of ammo, I managed to press on and I'm not having any issues now.

And I am quite enjoying your levels!

Realllllly like how you tend to show the secrets that people missed close to the level exits. That often encouraged me to backtrack and try for them.

Now one tiny thing I didn't realize is that I needed to use the JUMP key. I just figured that out in LEVEL 6

Spoiler

when I jumped on a blue circular platform and it took me to a secret.

After Level 5 the "classic Doom" thing seems to kind go by the wayside but I hope to finish off the final 9th LEVEL tonight.

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

Eternal has done it for Doom 2 and TNT, but only the first episode.

I enjoyed TNT Renascence, but what's his Doom 2 remix called?

A single author rarely holds my interest for an entire game...especially of remixes - why not do a community remix project? One where the goal is to keep the spirit and major 'landmarks' of the original level but make it feel fresh AND improve upon it.

Remain 1. @Salt-Man Z

On 5/4/2020 at 9:57 PM, MatthewPhillips said:

UPDATE! I am on LEVEL 6 of No Sleep For The Dead now!

After replaying LEVEL 1 and trying better use of ammo, I managed to press on and I'm not having any issues now.

And I am quite enjoying your levels!

Realllllly like how you tend to show the secrets that people missed close to the level exits. That often encouraged me to backtrack and try for them.

Now one tiny thing I didn't realize is that I needed to use the JUMP key. I just figured that out in LEVEL 6

Hide contents

when I jumped on a blue circular platform and it took me to a secret.

After Level 5 the "classic Doom" thing seems to kind go by the wayside but I hope to finish off the final 9th LEVEL tonight.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it :)

And yeah, that bonus level is quite punishing in the beginning, but for sure the difficulty is not representative for the actual episode.