Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Should I Get Doom 3?

You absolutely should get Doom 3. It plays out somewhat differently than Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal (or even Classic DooM games for that matter,) but it's a masterpiece for what it is. It's a horror Doom game, and does a really good job of scaring the heck out of you. Make sure you immerse yourself completely by playing the game in a dark room, lights closed, headphones on.

On 4/14/2020 at 5:39 PM, M00DER said:

The game is very ugly in my opinion ; apart from how the rooms are made and the general design, the guns and the characters are a complete mess. Buy it lol, it's not like you need a loan to afford the game nowadays.

I think the opposite, that the game looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

On 4/20/2020 at 10:50 PM, Gez said:

For the shotgun I actually went and edited the game's data files. Instead of 13 pellets with a spread of 22, I set it to 15 pellets with a spread of 10 and it's a lot more acceptable now.

Wow, what a cheat. Why not just adapt to the shotgun as it is? You must be a sore loser, Gez!

The fact that Doom 3 is so easily moddable is actually another strong point of the game, IMO. I also often play it with some little modifications, tighter shotgun spread, less bouncy grenades, faster travelling plasma projectiles.

1 hour ago, Foebane72 said:

Wow, what a cheat. Why not just adapt to the shotgun as it is? You must be a sore loser, Gez!

Imagine modding a Doom game...

2 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Why not just adapt to the shotgun as it is?

Because it sucks shit out of a donkey's ass.

On the other hand I gave more hitpoints to the pinky because it always feel weird that it falls dead so fast, given its size and relative rarity. It feels like a monster that should be scarier than its statistics make it.

@Foebane72

After suffering through Doom 3 base twice (three if you count BFG) I think it's safe to assume I've dealt with this crummy shotgun long enough. All it needed was its ridiculous spread tightened more to be applicable to short-medium range and voila, it's significantly less trash. Shotguns aren't suppose to work like the way Doom 3's does IRL anyway, that's just a failure on the game designer's part who assumes you must make out the whites of the enemy's eyes in order for you to hit anything with one. The volley of pellets scatter over a long distance, not the moment they leave the barrel.

Hasn't it occurred to anyone that the reason the shotgun scatter is so wide is because otherwise it would be far too EASY to deal with the Imps otherwise?

Imagine shooting an Imp with a shotgun in one shot, in Doom 3, at a distance. Where's the challenge?

2 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Hasn't it occurred to anyone that the reason the shotgun scatter is so wide is because otherwise it would be far too EASY to deal with the Imps otherwise?

Imagine shooting an Imp with a shotgun in one shot, in Doom 3, at a distance. Where's the challenge?

Bad design =/= Challenge.

"Lets make the chaingun fire 5x slower, That will teach these casuals"

5 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Well no, because this argument is complete nonsense when literally every other weapon isn't handicapped to such a capacity. This incidentally makes the machine gun (of all weapons) the workhorse weapon over the shotgun, with the Plasma Rifle and Chaingun in close second depending on how stocked on ammo you can keep them. Doom3 ROE SSG oddly retains its role as the shotgun replacer directly because of this.

I could kill 100 Hellknights with the Doom 3 shotgun with only 1 shell and 50 feet distance

18 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

You do know you are being extremely petty, right? There's nothing wrong with modding the game, the developers left that possibility for a reason, and I would do the same if I would revisit the game, though it will require some fiddling with the code to find suitable values first. The shotgun in Phobos was pretty great. 

Besides, no other weapon is handicapped to such obnoxious degree, every other weapon is great but the shotgun is not. No, the Doom 3 shotgun is garbage because of bad design decisions, not for the sake of difficulty or anything of sorts. The SSG in RoE doesn't fare much better either.

What? The SSG in RoE is perfect, a devastating weapon at close range. Works and feels almost excatly like the Doom 2 SSG.

4 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

What? The SSG in RoE is perfect, a devastating weapon at close range. Works and feels almost excatly like the Doom 2 SSG.

Not to me, or my memory is a little fuzzy, it's been a while since I last touched the game, admittedly.

But I recall it being dogshit unless I was shooting the enemies at point blank.

1 hour ago, seed said:

You do know you are being extremely petty, right? There's nothing wrong with modding the game, the developers left that possibility for a reason, and I would do the same if I would revisit the game, though it will require some fiddling with the code to find suitable values first. The shotgun in Phobos was pretty great. 

Besides, no other weapon is handicapped to such obnoxious degree, every other weapon is great but the shotgun is not. No, the Doom 3 shotgun is garbage because of bad design decisions, not for the sake of difficulty or anything of sorts. The SSG in RoE doesn't fare much better either.

I say there's everything wrong with modding the game if you want to play it as id Software themselves intended, flaws or not.

Besides, I'm used to the Doom 3 shotgun now, as is. I've mastered the art of one-hit kills on Imps, and Pinkies are easy, too. If the target is close enough or large enough, the pellet spread doesn't matter.

The only recent text file I've modified in Doom 3 recently is the DoomConfig, because I had to manually set the graphics settings because the Video Quality button no longer works, it just keeps selecting lowest quality and fucking up the graphics.

9 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Besides, I'm used to the Doom 3 shotgun now, as is.

This is generally referred to as Stockholm Syndrome. 

Besides, I'm used to the Doom 3 shotgun

being used to bad design =/= Good Design

The idsters must've had a brain fart, then.

If the shotgun is bad, I'm loath to even mention if anything else is bad, it might open the floodgates...

3 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

I say there's everything wrong with modding the game if you want to play it as id Software themselves intended

Yeah, that's the issue right there. I don't give a flying crap about what id Software themselves intended.

I want a shotgun that behaves like a Doom shotgun; i.e.: useful at medium range.

The idsters must've had a brain fart, then.

If the shotgun is bad, I'm loath to even mention if anything else is bad, it might open the floodgates...

Only if you refuse to acknowledge that it is simply unreliable, clunky, and highly impractical compared to virtually every other weapon in the arsenal. It is a far cry from the classic shotgun, 2016's, 64's, and Eternal's, in addition to not how shotguns actually behave in real life either, something that other game developers seem to have a problem with too.

It is okay to like it for what it is and no one is bashing you for doing so. What isn't okay to do, however, is calling out others for not playing the game the way you want them to, and calling them out for it. To an extent I agree that such changes can alter the way the game was meant to experienced, but this is a highly subjective topic and it depends on multiple factors - and besides, some people really don't care about The Way it's Meant to be Played™, they just want to have fun and do their thing.

The D3 shotgun is a glorified melee weapon. It's the strongest pump-action shotgun in the series, since a full load will dispatch a Hell Knight, but the effective range is on par with your fists.

41 minutes ago, User Name said:

I kind of wish Doom 3 had secondary attacks. Because with the shotgun you may as well bonk enemies on the head with the shotgun lol.

Speaking of which, for a game that ripped off HL2 heavily in RoE, I am still surprised no one thought about secondary fire modes - did no one think a double-buckshot fire mode was a good idea for the shotgun? It wasn't going to render the SSG obsolete either.

49 minutes ago, seed said:

Speaking of which, for a game that ripped off HL2 heavily in RoE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_gun

Although Half-Life 2 and TimeSplitters: Future Perfect were the first games released to feature a gravity gun (the former released on November 16, 2004 and the latter released on March 21, 2005), id Software had previously conceived a similar idea during the development of the earlier title Doom 3. id Software designer Matt Hooper noted that "we actually used it as a tool throughout development where we'd grab physics objects and place them around the world".[8] The tool was used to create "damaged" rooms in Doom 3; instead of constructing a ruined room, the designers would code a pristine room and use the device to "damage" it realistically. Although used to assist the development of Doom 3, the gravity gun was not implemented in the final game. Hooper explained that "we talked about that quite a few times, but we had such a big arsenal of weapons, and so many other cool things going on, that it was just one of those things that never made it in".[8] However, Nerve Software revived the code for the weapon five months after the release of Half-Life 2 in Doom 3's expansion pack, Resurrection of Evil.

Ahem.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Speaking of which, for a game that ripped off HL2 heavily in RoE, I am still surprised no one thought about secondary fire modes - did no one think a double-buckshot fire mode was a good idea for the shotgun? It wasn't going to render the SSG obsolete either.

That's such a good idea! I would've loved to run up to the baddies and give them a double buckshot shampoo.

5 hours ago, seed said:

Only if you refuse to acknowledge that it is simply unreliable, clunky, and highly impractical compared to virtually every other weapon in the arsenal. It is a far cry from the classic shotgun, 2016's, 64's, and Eternal's, in addition to not how shotguns actually behave in real life either, something that other game developers seem to have a problem with too.

It is okay to like it for what it is and no one is bashing you for doing so. What isn't okay to do, however, is calling out others for not playing the game the way you want them to, and calling them out for it. To an extent I agree that such changes can alter the way the game was meant to experienced, but this is a highly subjective topic and it depends on multiple factors - and besides, some people really don't care about The Way it's Meant to be Played™, they just want to have fun and do their thing.

Yes, I admit it IS lacking, but I still managed to complete vanilla Doom 3 using it (not by itself, mind). I can only guess that it was part of a whole defective consignment shipped to Mars, along with the chainsaws ;)

As for "not playing it as intended", well, I wouldn't mind trying it different ways. I just wanted to play the game as it was first.

3 hours ago, User Name said:

That's such a good idea! I would've loved to run up to the baddies and give them a double buckshot shampoo.

Iirc Gravity Gun code is already in Doom 3 base :) RoE just finished the gun. 

On 5/1/2020 at 9:43 PM, Gez said:

On the other hand I gave more hitpoints to the pinky because it always feel weird that it falls dead so fast, given its size and relative rarity. It feels like a monster that should be scarier than its statistics make it.

Yeah, especially when it's such an iconic Doom 3 monster (along with the hell knight)! it should have got more love in the end game. Imps and especially the unremarkable Doom 3 spawn (maggots, wraiths, trites) are given too much attention. Gameplay wise, pinky demon's strong point is when it gets to you, then you're pretty much screwed. But until then, you get plenty of time to finish it off. The most stressful times, however, are those in the main game and in custom maps (especially on nightmare) where the demon crashes into your room to a very short range and all you can do is watch and hope it doesn't maul you.

17 hours ago, seed said:

The SSG in RoE doesn't fare much better either.

Actually the Doom 3 SSG is about as spread as the Doom 2 SSG. Maybe not as good, but definitely not as bad as the simple Doom 3 shotgun, which is as badly spread as the Ultimate Doom bullet monsters, or even worse, because it spreads vertically too. Still not a great weapon, because missed monsters get plenty of time to counterattack.

8 hours ago, seed said:

Speaking of which, for a game that ripped off HL2 heavily in RoE, 

I'm tired of seeing mentions of Half-Life 2 and Far Cry as comparisons on why Doom 3 is the loser, when I never cared for those games.