Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sajbear666

"The Dreamlands" Mega Wad - working thread.

13 minutes ago, Tor1zo said:

i like what i see

Same. Good sense of place. 

Ok I have now played through the first map and I am very impressed! It definitely achieves the old school feel that you were going for and includes plenty of impressive architecture. It took me about 35 minutes to complete (although I was taking my sweet time) so it is definitely not a short map, I think it has quite a nice pace to it and it kept me on my toes. I did however have a few issues with this map, the first being a hall-of-mirrors effect that I got in the area shown in the final screenshot you posted. I would also say that some of the monster placements became a little bit predictable towards the end and the ammo became a little too hard to come by for my taste, but these are just minor nitpicks in an otherwise solid map.

I look forward to seeing this project continue!    

7 hours ago, Spooky_Skeletons said:

Ok I have now played through the first map and I am very impressed! It definitely achieves the old school feel that you were going for and includes plenty of impressive architecture. It took me about 35 minutes to complete (although I was taking my sweet time) so it is definitely not a short map, I think it has quite a nice pace to it and it kept me on my toes. I did however have a few issues with this map, the first being a hall-of-mirrors effect that I got in the area shown in the final screenshot you posted. I would also say that some of the monster placements became a little bit predictable towards the end and the ammo became a little too hard to come by for my taste, but these are just minor nitpicks in an otherwise solid map.

I look forward to seeing this project continue!    

Wow, super cool! I'm relieved!

Do you have a screenshot for the hall of mirror effect? :) I will ofc fix it! :)

Also in what area did you start to run out of ammo? After the blue door area or the yellow?

EDIT: Fixed HoM!

Edited by sajbear666

I'd include new moody sky, default one doesn't invoke any dreamy feelings to me. Besides, map feeling would be drastically changed and make some places shine. 

4 minutes ago, Misty said:

I'd include new moody sky, default one doesn't invoke any dreamy feelings to me. Besides, map feeling would be drastically changed and make some places shine. 

Absolutely!

10 hours ago, sajbear666 said:

Wow, super cool! I'm relieved!

Do you have a screenshot for the hall of mirror effect? :) I will ofc fix it! :)

Also in what area did you start to run out of ammo? After the blue door area or the yellow?

EDIT: Fixed HoM!

I started to run out of ammo in the blue door area.

Also love the new sky!

4 hours ago, Spooky_Skeletons said:

I started to run out of ammo in the blue door area.

Also love the new sky!

Alright I might have to balance it a little. :)

Thanks! :)

Wanted to check this out, cause no matter the texture set - i can't miss on city themes.

Some somewhat harsh criticisms: Nice opening shot, confined streets is exactly what i wanted to see more of in this map, but then dynamic abruptly shifts to the big marble keep with those jagged platforms and on to more wide areas. Even though the last area's megastucture looked awesome, i can't say the same about symmetrically placed combat around it. I feel it could've been better if you divided the confined streets and big open areas in those separate distinct maps; level is too bulky for a opening map for a megawad. Played on UV, having no problem maxing all items, secrets and kills.

Pretty neat secrets aside from the push walls in the marble keep, secret with rocket launcher opening up to a starting area is what the map needed more of in it's normal routing - the bulk of areas didn't have any connectivity between them (even if you wanted to backtrack to first area for health - it would be a massive route to take back).

Given how many hitscanners there are spanning throughout the map i feel like you probably should've been more generous with armor, maybe to have it in the midst of blue key section.

A couple of problems:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200504_131557.png.345eb2b50ca12be772adefc799ff808e.png

Bleeding texture

Screenshot_Doom_20200504_130841.png.38e3ecf2b4884680433964aacae1cfd1.pngReally hard to squeeze between these platforms (i don't like this very jagged design for them tbh)

Screenshot_Doom_20200504_150611.png.eb945743a89113deb7201f23238223c5.pngVery dark wall; same goes for the plasma secret, which looks cool, but i feel like that area should fade into darkness more to the end of a road.

All in all, i've liked the grimy city theme, hope to see something less bulky for another map.