Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
exl

WhackEd 4

Hey @exl, thought it would be a good idea to bring this to your attention - https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1900549

I'm using v1.2.2, which I believe is a beta build?  There was a feature in it that I needed for D64D2 so I'm not sure if this is a bug related to it being a beta or not.

The issue was that I blanked out a frame in the deh I was working on for D64D2.  This worked out fine in Chocolate Doom, but in DOS Doom it seems to cause the game to crash.

If you need more info, let me know.

That is indeed a bug, you can't null out an action in normal Dehacked, only in extended patches. Maybe Chocolate Doom's behaviour here is not the way they want it to be?

Version 1.2.3 of WhackEd 4 is available. The biggest change is that it's moved on to Python 3 and a newer version of the GUI library. This should not be noticeable but new UI issues might appear for some users.Full changelog:

• Fixed: no longer allow a state's action to be removed in non-extended patches. Thanks to Mechadon.
  • Fixed: Boom configurations now properly refer to the red skullcard pickup string key as REDSKULL instead of REDSKUL. Thanks to EarthQuake.
  • Fixed: a crash on startup if the program settings became empty or corrupted somehow. Default settings will now be loaded if this is the case.
  • Changed: doubled size of sprite previews in the state editor.
  • Changed: updated wxPython to 4.0.6.
  • Changed: updated to Python 3.7.
  • Changed: enabled high DPI support.
  • Changed: reduced size of installed files.

Installer, 10 Mb: https://www.teamhellspawn.com/exl/whacked4/files/whacked4-setup-1.2.3.exe

Standalone 7zip archive, 9 Mb: https://www.teamhellspawn.com/exl/whacked4/files/whacked4-1.2.3.7z

Hey, Whacked4 chrashes when trying to create a new file or open one. worked fine yesterday but not now for some reason. version 1.2.3, here's the crash log :

Spoiler

D:\ProjetDoomFun\WHACKED\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:233: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
D:\ProjetDoomFun\WHACKED\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:235: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
D:\ProjetDoomFun\WHACKED\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:237: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
D:\ProjetDoomFun\WHACKED\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:239: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
D:\ProjetDoomFun\WHACKED\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:241: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
D:\ProjetDoomFun\WHACKED\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:243: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
D:\ProjetDoomFun\WHACKED\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:245: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
D:\ProjetDoomFun\WHACKED\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:247: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
D:\ProjetDoomFun\WHACKED\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:249: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
D:\ProjetDoomFun\WHACKED\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:2273: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
D:\ProjetDoomFun\WHACKED\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3522: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
D:\ProjetDoomFun\WHACKED\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3524: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
D:\ProjetDoomFun\WHACKED\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3936: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
D:\ProjetDoomFun\WHACKED\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3938: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "src\whacked4\ui\dialogs\startdialog.py", line 46, in open_file
  File "src\whacked4\ui\mainwindow.py", line 165, in open_file_dialog
  File "src\whacked4\ui\mainwindow.py", line 258, in open_file
  File "src\whacked4\ui\mainwindow.py", line 357, in load_wads
  File "src\whacked4\doom\wadlist.py", line 207, in build_sprite_list
IndexError: string index out of range

Is this fixable or am i SOL like for doom builder ?

Which WAD files (IWADs, PWADs) are you loading and what engine are you creating the patch for?

I have the following bug: I get the editor-hanging error when saving the STROOM.DEH file that was opened with DOOM2.WAD as the IWAD and STROOM.WAD as a PWAD. Could you help me to bypass it?

STROOM.zip

whackederror.png

The patch tries to set a codepointer on a state (8) which originally had none. This is not possible in vanilla Dehacked, and Whacked should not be reading the file without warning. I'll fix that for a future release. If you want to set actions on any state you want you will need to create a Boom (or other extended engine type) ".bex" patch.

Files aved by Whacked mention it in some comments up top ("Created with WhackEd4"), so it might never have been saved by it. That said, some earlier versions had a bug that allowed you to set actions on states that originally had none (for vanilla patches).

I'm having a fatal error with WhackEd4, whenever I try to change the value of BFG cells per shot from Miscellaneous. And I've just realized that the error also occurs with other options from Miscellaneous, such as armor value and starting HP.  I'm using the latest version, 1.2.3, and I can confirm that this happens to every game engine from Boom to ZDaemon. Here's the full detail about the error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:233: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:235: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:237: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:239: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:241: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:243: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:245: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:247: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:249: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:2273: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3522: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3524: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3936: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3938: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
  File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\miscframe.py", line 135, in set_value
  File "src\whacked4\ui\editormixin.py", line 69, in undo_add
  File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\miscframe.py", line 245, in undo_store_item
TypeError: 'odict_keys' object is not subscriptable

Ah, I didn't realize there was a thread for bug reports. There's a bit of an inconsistency between WhackEd4 and PrBoom+. Namely, when making a new string that replaces the one for getting the red skull key, WhackEd4 saves it as "GOTREDSKUL" but that is unreadable by PrBoom+, which looks for "GOTREDSKULL". This is what I get when I try to save my BEX file in WhackEd4 after correcting the string mistake:

File "src\whacked4\ui\mainwindow.py", line 685, in file_save
  File "src\whacked4\ui\mainwindow.py", line 330, in save_file
  File "src\whacked4\dehacked\patch.py", line 220, in write_dehacked
  File "src\whacked4\dehacked\patch.py", line 255, in write_patch_ext_strings
KeyError: 'GOTREDSKULL'

I would appreciate if this rather minor thing was fixed :) Other than that, other errors I could think of may be more PrBoom+'s fault than WhackEd4's, such as the supposed ability to have any sound play at full volume failing to work.

The miscellaneous editor bug has been fixed, thanks. The GETREDSKULL one though is strange though. Since version 1.2.3 it should use GOTREDSKULL (it used to used the version with one L). I double checked and the prBoom source lists it with double L. I think maybe you read it in a newer version of Whacked and now it got confused. Does it work correctly if you manually change GTOREDSKUL to GOTREDSKULL in the patch using a text editor?

Meanwhile, version 1.2.4 of WhackEd 4 is available with 2 bugfixes:

• Fixed: invalid sprite names no longer cause a crash when loading\creating a patch, but are ignored instead.
  • Fixed: changing miscellaneous values would result in a crash. Thanks to Xyzzy01.

Installer, 10 Mb: https://www.teamhellspawn.com/exl/whacked4/files/whacked4-setup-1.2.4.exe

Standalone 7zip archive, 9 Mb: https://www.teamhellspawn.com/exl/whacked4/files/whacked4-1.2.4.7z

1.2.4 is a bust, please ignore!

Edited by exl

Much appreciated for the update. But after I installed the latest version, now I'm having this problem, whenever I start the program. I uninstalled the previous version and deleted the entire WhackEd folder from Program Files, and reinstalled the latest one with no success. Even after the reboot doesn't work, either. Strangely, I don't have python38 folder from my C drive.

python.png

EDIT: The last message means "Couldn't find the specified module."

Oops, it appears that an internal upgrade has caused issues. I've retracted the release for now, until a bug upstream is fixed I can't make a proper release without reverting a bunch of stuff. I'll keep tabs on this and maybe have a fix next week or so.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:01 PM, exl said:

Does it work correctly if you manually change GTOREDSKUL to GOTREDSKULL in the patch using a text editor?

Apologies for the bump two weeks after the fact, but it turns out I was using version 1.1.1 of WhackEd 4. I now have the latest version, and so far my problems seem to be fixed. Again, sorry about that!

Mpvd5Ao.png

I am using WhackEd4 v1.2.3 and I keep getting this fatal error, looks like some call to a deprecated item.

I also saw that @antares031 got the error as well.

It crashes on me when I try to change a value like starting bullet ammo, starting health, etc.

Note : I was using the DOOM.WAD and also using DOOM 1.9 engine as well.

Spoiler

C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:233: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:235: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:237: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:239: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:241: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:243: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:245: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:247: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:249: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:2273: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3522: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3524: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3936: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4\lib\whacked4\ui\windows.py:3938: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
  File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\miscframe.py", line 135, in set_value
  File "src\whacked4\ui\editormixin.py", line 69, in undo_add
  File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\miscframe.py", line 245, in undo_store_item
TypeError: 'odict_keys' object is not subscriptable

That's a known bug in 1.2.3 that I've fixed, but cannot release a new version because of a bug in a dependency. Reverting to 1.2.2 is probably for the best right now if you want to edit misc. data.

The dependency bug is fixed, so here's a working 1.2.4:

Fixed: invalid sprite names no longer cause a crash when loading\creating a patch, but are ignored instead.
Fixed: changing miscellaneous values would result in a crash. Thanks to Xyzzy01.

Installer, 10 Mb: https://www.teamhellspawn.com/exl/whacked4/files/whacked4-setup-1.2.4.exe

Standalone 7zip archive, 9 Mb: https://www.teamhellspawn.com/exl/whacked4/files/whacked4-1.2.4.7z

No, it only removes duplicates and non-existing files upon startup. Though you can clear them manually by editing %appdata%\whacked4\settings.json.

I get this error when trying to open a .deh file directly instead of launching WhackEd4 on its own:

Spoiler

src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:233: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:235: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:237: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:239: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:241: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:243: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:245: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:247: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
src\whacked4\ui\windows.py:249: wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead.
  File "src\whacked4\app.py", line 60, in OnInit
  File "src\whacked4\ui\mainwindow.py", line 28, in __init__
  File "src\whacked4\ui\windows.py", line 251, in __init__
wx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion "Assert failure" failed at ..\..\src\msw\toolbar.cpp(823) in wxToolBar::Realize(): invalid tool button bitmap

Hi, I'm trying to view Eviternity's .deh file, and Whacked4 always crashes whenever I tried to view the unused states. It gives me the following error.

Any fix?

File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\statesframe.py", line 990, in filter_select
  File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\statesframe.py", line 375, in filter_update
  File "src\whacked4\ui\editors\statesframe.py", line 360, in statelist_build
IndexError: list index out of range

23 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Hi, I'm trying to view Eviternity's .deh file, and Whacked4 always crashes whenever I tried to view the unused states. It gives me the following error.

Any fix?

It's referencing things that do not exist in the standard Boom engine that is selected when you open a file. If you open the patch using File > Open as... and select the Marine's Best Friend engine, it will load.

1 minute ago, exl said:

It's referencing things that do not exist in the standard Boom engine that is selected when you open a file. If you open the patch using File > Open as... and select the Marine's Best Friend engine, it will load.

Well, I set the proper patch settings to MBF and it still shows - otherwise I won't ask here.

On 4/11/2020 at 3:42 AM, maxmanium said:

I get this error when trying to open a .deh file directly instead of launching WhackEd4 on its own:

What version are you using? I do not get this with version 1.2.4.

44 minutes ago, exl said:

What version are you using? I do not get this with version 1.2.4.

That's what I'm using. I just used the installer (was with the standalone version) and still get the same issue. Is it a Python issue or something?

Me too. I download this, extracted the Dehacked patch, edited a couple of death states(changed -1 to 60 to make trooper and sargent disappear) and when I tried to save I got the error "Call to deprecated item. Use :meth:`AddTool` instead."

Running Whacked4 1.2.4

Looks like it contains a few strings that are not present in the original engine (OB_*), and it doesn't know what to do with those when saving. I'll handle this better in a future version, thanks.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:05 AM, maxmanium said:

That's what I'm using. I just used the installer (was with the standalone version) and still get the same issue. Is it a Python issue or something?

I'm not sure, it is trying to load one of the button graphic resources but can't read or find them. What location did you install it to, the default of "Program Files (x86)\WhackEd4"?