Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catpho

DBP23: Evil Egypt

Awesome to see this released! I helped test a few of these (mostly map08 obvs) and there's some real nice stuff here. Welcome to VigilantDoomer and TheGRB too!

This is really cool. I'll take vanilla gameplay over custom stuff any day and egyptian is one of my favorite Doom themes so I was expecting good times and wasn't disappointed. Well done doomer boards people.

FDAs attached (UV, glboom+ cl2) for anyone interested.

FDA_DBP23_01-12.zip

I think I only tested early versions of about nine of these maps before disappearing into a mapping rabbit hole for most of the month. Checking out the final versions of the first five maps in the WAD was quite a surprise! Some really nice work by 40oz and the mappers to polish and adjust the maps there, and MAP06 looks to be just as improved (although I've not had time to play it yet). It's a tough set to play on UV, IMO, but I'm enjoying it anyway and very impressed!

I'm looking forward to getting to the bigger adventures near the end and getting to play final versions of those in particular! I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised about getting the finale spot, although I suppose it makes thematic sense.

And I'd gotten THIS close to catching up on the all the DBP WADs! This looks pretty dang sweet, as usual.

1 hour ago, Lingyan203 said:

Looks great! I'm guessing this is the final version?

Probably not yet. It's usually not the final version unless marked as such on the OP or another member of the krew posts it here. That being said, 40 is one of the more punctual leaders so it might be "final" faster than the recent DBPs :P

Played through the first 6 maps and thought I'd record them while at it. Played on UV with Crispy Doom. Here's the playlist.

I like the aesthetic, hellish egyptian is not something I've personally played too much, and each map has been pretty good. Visually MAP04 and MAP06 were my favourites, especially the "hellish chamber" in MAP06 with the red key. Difficulty ramps up significantly in MAP05, while the first four are quite casual. The gameplay was fun, there was a good flow and no super meaty hallways to clear. Encounters were varied and interesting. I wasn't quite able to clear the last room in MAP05 since I ran out of ammo and was blocked from collecting any more (if there was more), so I just took the exit. I'd say more ammo there, but then again I could've missed half of it due to the thick walls of meat. Also, I think the first map specifically was a bit confusing, at least I felt like I missed a bunch of stuff bumping around, but I suppose the disorienting approach could be by design? In a way it's fun to have maps where there are areas you can skip, though. There weren't any major issues in general, the one I feel I need to mention is that the red keycard in MAP04 can be grabbed from the "wrong" side. I suggest checking the playthroughs to see if anything there catches your eye.

Will try to get to the next 6 maps at some point. Good casual fun so far, but I'm expecting more challenge further in ;)

7 hours ago, Phobus said:

I think I only tested early versions of about nine of these maps before disappearing into a mapping rabbit hole for most of the month. Checking out the final versions of the first five maps in the WAD was quite a surprise! Some really nice work by 40oz and the mappers to polish and adjust the maps there, and MAP06 looks to be just as improved (although I've not had time to play it yet). It's a tough set to play on UV, IMO, but I'm enjoying it anyway and very impressed!

I'm looking forward to getting to the bigger adventures near the end and getting to play final versions of those in particular! I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised about getting the finale spot, although I suppose it makes thematic sense.

Abdicate The Throne is a masterpiece, thank you for making it. It's one big majestic playground.

Thanks for the kind words @<<Rewind! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

45 minutes ago, Big Ol Billy said:

@joe-ilya is a bold fellow ;)

Credit where it's due - whatever he's called it, he's made a good map this month! Quite the adventure, with some nice visuals.

I really liked some of your previous works, like CD Colonoscopy, I checked this episode noclipping in some levels... and yeah, this looks really good, it gets fairly epic, I will play it for sure. :)

1 hour ago, Turin Turambar said:

How did you get those stats in the upper right hand corner?

You can bind this for cleaner screenshots like this:

bind h "r_drawplayersprites 0; crosshair 0"

doublebind h "r_drawplayersprites 1; crosshair 1"

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1012691209066766529/F11012C4C2817A55186B5AC47AF714E403AAE13C/

19 minutes ago, <<Rewind said:

How did you get those stats in the upper right hand corner?

It's a small mod, I think it's called LevelInfo.

14 hours ago, Catpho said:

Probably not yet. It's usually not the final version unless marked as such on the OP or another member of the krew posts it here. That being said, 40 is one of the more punctual leaders so it might be "final" faster than the recent DBPs :P

i see. I wonder if this will ever become a megawad?

@Lingyan203 no, it won't, the Doomer Board Projects are monthly map sets and when they're done, they're done. We might churn a megawad out in the future but only if 30+ people turn out to make maps for us, which seems unlikely.

Why's everyone so keen on megawads anyway? I dunno about you lot but I crank out a D1 episode every now and then, but hardly ever go back to D2 or the Final Dooms because they're just too long. Episode length sets are way better.

Edited by dmdr : clarity

Yeah, if there's any finalisation here, it'll be for bug fixing stuff that comes up now that we missed during testing (or introduced when polishing up the maps after they were tested). For all intents and purposes, this is complete and we've already moved on to DBP24!

cool

reminds of epic (which i never played...)

i played like 30mins with some FDAs, and i really liked the wad so far.

i made a rough uvmax 

ee = evil egypt, guess suits for demos' naming

uvmax

ee3-237

ee3-237.zip

Saw it was Vanilla/Limit-removing and thought "Got to try that on my PS3!"

Just ran it through PRBoom on my PS3: very nice!

Gonna download some of the previous ones now!

This looks really good I love the style. I'll be having fun playing these map. :)

On 5/2/2020 at 3:09 AM, dmdr said:

@Lingyan203 no, it won't, the Doomer Board Projects are monthly map sets and when they're done, they're done. We might churn a megawad out in the future but only if 30+ people turn out to make maps for us, which seems unlikely.

Why's everyone so keen on megawads anyway? I dunno about you lot but I crank out a D1 episode every now and then, but hardly ever go back to D2 or the Final Dooms because they're just too long. Episode length sets are way better.

That's okay. I was just curious. I hope this gets uploaded to the idgames archive soon.