Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

I want to collect rocks

I often go for hikes and get lost on trails and see rocks that are cool and want to put em in my pocket but they weigh my pants down but there is some unique rocks out there. I have six of them I found at a beach. It's free and what else is there to do rn amirite

1 minute ago, FractalBeast said:

Get some (layman) geology books to properly nerd out about rocks. Rocks are pretty rad.

I'd collect potatoes too but I always eatim

🥔

Reminds me of what a tourist guide once told me about a guest they had on a coach tour (the fancy sort where they load your cases on and off the coach for you). One guy's bag was empty at the start, and they wondered why he'd even bothered with it. Day by day it got heavier and heavier, and by the end it took a couple of hefty guys to drag the thing around. Turned out this guest was an amateur geologist and was collecting rock samples each day.

Yeah, a little knowledge and info is useful so you're only collecting the interesting stuff, and some tools are useful to reduce the size of samples, etc. Geology is really interesting, and for the USA I can recommend the Roadside Geology series (there are ones for most states). They pick out interesting sites in areas where you wouldn't find much just poking around on your own. Sometimes the flattest landscapes (e.g. Nebraska) can have the richest geological story. I also found a nice guide for the parks of Western Australia, if you happen to find yourself in that part of the world.

This post would not be complete without a random photo of some rocks:

QXzVlK9.jpg

colourful metamorphic rocks, Minebukta, Duvefjorden

Edited by Grazza : added link for Minebukta, which I needed to look up on a detailed print map, as I couldn't find the location online

Design a Doom level based on the shape of the rocks that you find.

Do something productive. Do Doom. :)

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

That would be a cool idea for a community project, everyone who participates makes a doom level based on the shape of a rock.

I have a small collection of small samples of rocks stuck in a box in a larger junk box somewhere.

Speaking of rocks. There's a Reddit page for rock identification called WhatsThisRock.

1 hour ago, cambreaKer said:

That would be a cool idea for a community project, everyone who participates makes a doom level based on the shape of a rock.

You could call it Taken For Granite or Basalt and Battery or Knee Deep In The Schist or Fracking Demons. :D

8 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Woah, a Doom megawad based on geological strata...

6 hours ago, cambreaKer said:

What if you took a picture of a bunch of rocks, and used them in your custom .WAD about rocks?

9 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

You could also use the rocks as wall or floor/ceiling textures.

Maybe even use a rock as a secret collectible weapon? Like Brutal Doom's MP30, except more like a rocket launcher.

1 hour ago, User Name said:

Jesus Christ Marie! They’re minerals!

You win the thread