Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sunbeam

Deformed Doom - deform any Doom map!

How did you record the deformations shown in the video in real time?

I noticed very quickly that, maps that uses just a bit of platforming would be quite impossible to do in the modified maps if some specific deformation settings are pulled off....an example is what I did in Epic 2...

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200504_200719.png

Way too much fun...

Spoiler

Before:

Screenshot_Doom_20200505_103301.png.1cc9db238a6c52ebee32a95caefa39f0.png

After:

Screenshot_Doom_20200505_102732.png.d3b9064c7c62bde97316b08fb9a35f9c.png

Before:

Screenshot_Doom_20200505_103406.png.ef91b833f09c5bcf258fb452042df864.png

After:

Screenshot_Doom_20200505_102904.png.3630be757f3621115e88cb2154679cda.png

Before:

Screenshot_Doom_20200505_103503.png.b11953423091904715e4ebd0b0fda81a.png

After:

Screenshot_Doom_20200505_103121.png.a832ad1c69cea46210cc37c5d8da9f97.png

Before:Screenshot_Doom_20200505_103553.png.b5246b458979e1fa90883c61dda351db.pngAfter:

Screenshot_Doom_20200505_103227.png.75ae45208cf6e173b816d3a70b76228e.png

The video gives me motion-sickness :)

I played through Episode 1 with this. At some points there were moments when it felt more like my vision was distorted than the level itself. I could see levels becoming unbeatable without cheats, if the distortion closes off vital areas.

It's a fun little way of putting a literal new twist on old levels.

Can we have levels continuously deform back and forth like in the video? That would be fun to play.

1 minute ago, Rathori said:

Can we have levels continuously deform back and forth like in the video? That would be fun to play.

Dynamically altering level geometry during gameplay? Is that even possible?!

Looks pretty interesting, i hope this works with my medieval ages Gzddom 3.7.2 version too lol

Thanks for your kind words! 😊

Good to see you guys are having fun! 👍

On 5/5/2020 at 3:13 PM, Dark Pulse said:

Can't wait to see how this plays with WOW.WAD.

"Pics or didn't happen." 😉

On 5/5/2020 at 3:36 PM, dmslr said:

How did you record the deformations shown in the video in real time?

I used some console commands to automate screenshot taking. I then edited the images into videos for "the full effect". 😉

On 5/5/2020 at 4:39 PM, leodoom85 said:

I noticed very quickly that, maps that uses just a bit of platforming would be quite impossible to do in the modified maps if some specific deformation settings are pulled off....an example is what I did in Epic 2...

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20200504_200719.png

Unfortunately yes, platforming sections can become a problem depending on settings...

On 5/5/2020 at 9:51 PM, NoXion said:

I played through Episode 1 with this. At some points there were moments when it felt more like my vision was distorted than the level itself. I could see levels becoming unbeatable without cheats, if the distortion closes off vital areas.

It's a fun little way of putting a literal new twist on old levels.

I thought about naming it "Twisted Doom"... 😉

On 5/5/2020 at 9:55 PM, NoXion said:

Dynamically altering level geometry during gameplay? Is that even possible?!

I want to quote Caligari87 from the ZDoom forums:

Basically (so far as I know) this can't be done realtime due to the basic limitations of the engine, notably that it requires rebuilding the map nodes. Making the vertex geometry dynamic at runtime would require a revamp of the entire map format (and possibly other things like the physics, I imagine).

Simply put, it's not going to happen. Let's just appreciate this for what it is and not get ahead of ourselves.

On 5/5/2020 at 11:24 PM, Ecafr8708 said:

it works on heretic

Screenshot_Heretic_20200505_172351.png

Yes! And it should (theoretically) work with any Doom, Heretic or Hexen map. Or even most other mods out there. 👍

On 5/6/2020 at 12:35 AM, Walter confetti said:

Looks pretty interesting, i hope this works with my medieval ages Gzddom 3.7.2 version too lol

Unfortunately no, you need at least GZDoom 4.3.x.

37 minutes ago, Sunbeam said:

I want to quote Caligari87 from the ZDoom forums:

I thought as much. Like trying to live in a house while all the bricks, windows etc are being juggled.

This is pretty good but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the fact that this can't be done in runtime. If it could be done in runtime, now that would be a very huge fucking thing. Still a good thing none the less, perhaps a step towards that even.

On 5/7/2020 at 10:48 AM, NoXion said:

I thought as much. Like trying to live in a house while all the bricks, windows etc are being juggled.

Yes. Nice analogy 😉

On 5/7/2020 at 11:25 AM, IvanDobrovski said:

This is pretty good but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the fact that this can't be done in runtime. If it could be done in runtime, now that would be a very huge fucking thing. Still a good thing none the less, perhaps a step towards that even.

You probably *could*, but it wouldn't be nice. As was said before you would need to recalculate a lot of internal stuff every frame. Expect horrible performance. 😜

Doom: Dain Bramage edition.

Looks pretty cool so far. Its the closest thing to an accurate depiction of dreaming about playing the IWAD maps.

15 hours ago, Solmyr said:

Doom: Dain Bramage edition.

Looks pretty cool so far. Its the closest thing to an accurate depiction of dreaming about playing the IWAD maps.

Haha yes, that seems about right. 😁

15 hours ago, The Bug said:

Dude we NEED a doom builder plugin

It would be possible I think, but would it really help? 😛

If you made a doom builder plugin you could turn boring boxy sectors into nice and round areas that could be usefull for making outdoor maps.

would be nice if could deform selected areas not only the intire map.

In theory: Yes. But it only works with rather short lines and ways that consist of many vertices. If you have a long line with only two vertices the whole line will move but it won't look nice. So you would still have to put in some work.

What is really needed to make that possible is the ability to create vertices on the fly. Unfortunately that is impossible right now.

On 5/13/2020 at 4:28 AM, Sunbeam said:

In theory: Yes. But it only works with rather short lines and ways that consist of many vertices. If you have a long line with only two vertices the whole line will move but it won't look nice. So you would still have to put in some work.

What is really needed to make that possible is the ability to create vertices on the fly. Unfortunately that is impossible right now.

You could have sloped walls for that to work, with only one line, though that'd pop off compatibility with vanilla maps.