Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

What's likely the very minimum requirements? I've seen the game running great on a pentium 4.

Can't find any one test that goes lower and lower until the framerate is unbearable.  But plenty of vids of p4's with 750ti and lower handling it great.

No doubt that the game is well optimized, but.....

4 hours ago, invictius said:

plenty of vids of p4's with 750ti and lower handling it great.

... this is something that I don't believe until I see some video proof. The game isn't meant to run on "That" old hardware.

Well, Youtube does have videos that say they run on a P4 (although the one I saw had a GTX970 not a 750Ti). Whether it's true or not, I don't know.

Yeah, unless proof surfaces or a list of tweaks and modifications does instead, I also massively doubt it can run on such hardware - at most, maybe boot up and be virtually unplayable with garbage graphics.

Such a CPU is virtually unusable in 2020 due to how old and MASSIVELY underpowered it is - trust me, I used to have a Pentium 4 PC up until mid-2016 and Windows 7 (!) barely even worked on the potato, let alone games and more heavy programs...

P4 and ti750?

Don't make me laugh

P4 and ti750 require slightly different mother boards. So the following setup is just unreal

LowSpecGamer made a video showing how to run Doom 4 on IntelHD PCs. Tried playing Doom 4 on my Intel HD 4000- PC and the experience is pretty solid (average ~40-50 FPS)

So theorically, a shittier PC than mine could run this game at ~30FPS using this method.

10 hours ago, invictius said:

Can't find any one test that goes lower and lower until the framerate is unbearable.  But plenty of vids of p4's with 750ti and lower handling it great.

Define Great. At best it is playable, not great.

6 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

No doubt that the game is well optimized, but.....

... this is something that I don't believe until I see some video proof. The game isn't meant to run on "That" old hardware.

Well lets take a look so that the OP can attach it to his first post. I searched on YT for ''doom 2016 pentium 4''. A few hits show up, but also quite a few using a Pentium D - The dual core variant back when those were a thing. Lets take a look of the first 12 hits:

This is the one @dr_st refers to. 1080p resolution, 30+ fps. That sure looks impressive! A nonsensical combination, for sure, but an OP GPU can give playable framerates, right? Note that it takes 6+ GB's of ram.

Lets add another build to the list. Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz, Geforce GT710, and a whopping 2 GB of ram. Does RAM affect performance?

It does. Resolution is below 1080p (more likely 720p or even lower). Still, 3 FPS, pretty epic! And with the OpenGL 4.5 renderpath!

Another one. Same user, Pentium 4 230,  Geforce GT 210, OpenGL 3.3 (Yep, apparently Doom 2016 can run on OpenGL3), 3 GB RAM:

Practically a frame every 1.2 seconds with CPU and GPU being slaughtered to death.

So is there some merit? Well, there is this: Pentium 4, Geforce GT730, 4 GB DDR2. Resolution unknown.

User reports 12 fps minimum, avg 20-30 and max (Meaning one moment) 47 fps.

So, it seems like an OP GPU like the GTX 970 can push the game to a sustainable 30 fps, give or take. But that's the only video that shows any consistent performance, on which i doubt its even really a P4 processing the game logic that efficiently given the way the description is made.

But what about OP's claim? After all, he said:

''plenty of vids of p4's with 750ti and lower handling it great.''

I am going to demand reciepts on this.

Lets see:

• Except for the GTX 970 video, none of the shown videos exhibit framerates that can be considered great. ''Great'' is ofcourse a subjective term, but id define great as something that can pull of relative consistent performance of 30 fps.
  • The lower card, the GT 730, gets wild averages. 20-30 on average is still a 10 fps deficit. It also isn't clear on which resolution it is played.
  • Other Pentium's listed are Pentium D's, not Pentium 4's
  • The first 12 hits do not show a Pentium 4 with a Geforce GTX 750 Ti.

FWIW, i did do a search on doom 2016 pentium 4 gtx 750 ti but:

• The first hit is the game played with a Core i5-4690.
  • The second hit is the game played with a Pentium G4400.
  • The third hit is the game played with a Core i3-4130.
  • The fourth hit is the game played with a Core i3-2120.
  • The fifth hit is the game played with a Core i3-6100.
  • The sixth hit is the GTX 970 video.
  • And the seventh hit is the game played with a Core i5-3470 and a GTX 750 non-TI.

So i'd love for the OP to highlight the video's he has watched, because as it stands its more a case of wild claim right now.

In general, i feel the OP should have highlighted those video's he references anyway so that the claim is evidenced and can then be discussed further.

I seriously doubt the game runs on a Pentium 4 CPU. My quad core CPU struggles at times with it. Okay if you want to be pedantic it might run but you cannot expect a performance that's playable. Don't even want to imagine the time it would take to install the game on a processor like that.

I just tried out of pure curiosity on my old desktop - Core 2 Quad QX9650 @3GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 660 2GB. I could only run OpenGL, because apparently Vulkan is not supported on 2GB GeForce 6 series (it crashed when I tried to set it).

Running in 1920x1200 resolution, on 'Medium' and no AA, I get the frame rate usually above 30FPS, dipping into the 20s in big scenes with monsters, which is still mostly playable. Some specific scenes (for example in ARC when looking through the window to the outside during the Samuel/Olivia hologram scene) drop under 20FPS and at that point the game starts to crawl. The CPU utilization is about 60-70% across all four cores.

On "Low", the performance is better, but the game looks like total shit. If you can't run at least "Medium", don't bother playing at all. So, yeah, I dunno how that P4 video did that, and whether it's even real. Unless the GPU can really overcome the CPU bottleneck (GTX970 is miles better than GTX660 after all).

The bonus of this is that I discovered that the game runs on Vista, even though Win7 is written in the minimum requirements. As if someone cares. :)

19 minutes ago, dr_st said:

I just tried out of pure curiosity on my old desktop - Core 2 Quad QX9650 @3GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 660 2GB. I could only run OpenGL, because apparently Vulkan is not supported on 2GB GeForce 6 series (it crashed when I tried to set it).

Running in 1920x1200 resolution, on 'Medium' and no AA, I get the frame rate usually above 30FPS, dipping into the 20s in big scenes with monsters, which is still mostly playable. Some specific scenes (for example in ARC when looking through the window to the outside during the Samuel/Olivia hologram scene) drop under 20FPS and at that point the game starts to crawl. The CPU utilization is about 60-70% across all four cores.

On "Low", the performance is better, but the game looks like total shit. If you can't run at least "Medium", don't bother playing at all. So, yeah, I dunno how that P4 video did that, and whether it's even real. Unless the GPU can really overcome the CPU bottleneck (GTX970 is miles better than GTX660 after all).

The bonus of this is that I discovered that the game runs on Vista, even though Win7 is written in the minimum requirements. As if someone cares. :)

That's interesting, so for the 2GB 600 series Vulkan is actually not supported? Huh, for the 900 that doesn't seem to be the case, it works just fine for me on my 950 (well no, not in Doom 2016 though, don't meet the other system req there).

I suppose running this game on a Pentium 4 would be possible insofar as it's much more GPU-centric than CPU, so maybe if you toss a 1080 or a RTX 2080 it probably runs acceptably, but with frequent, major frame drops.

I got this info from here (after the game crashed):

https://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/358417461601870117/

"Vulkan is not currently supported on NVIDIA GPUs with 2 GB of RAM on Windows 7."

Reading it again, I assume it may be more an OS thing and not a GPU series thing. Vista will surely behave like Win7 in this regard; if you try on Win10, results may be quite different.

12 minutes ago, dr_st said:

I got this info from here (after the game crashed):

https://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/358417461601870117/

"Vulkan is not currently supported on NVIDIA GPUs with 2 GB of RAM on Windows 7."

Reading it again, I assume it may be more an OS thing and not a GPU series thing. Vista will surely behave like Win7 in this regard; if you try on Win10, results may be quite different.

Hm, yes, that definitely seems to be an OS thing since it mentions that all NVIDIA cards with 2GB of VRAM (and presumably less) won't run Vulkan on 7.

But it sure works on 10, so there's that. Vista who cares, no-one did when it was still supported 1.0 .

I was able to play it on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro running Windows, with Doom installed on an external HDD because of no internal disk space :(. What I saw was that the game speed seemed slowed down (but the frame rate was OK! Only the speed seemed in slow motion). I happened to progress several levels until I stopped because I didn't really want to play from an external HDD and didn't really like the limited user experience.