Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Favorite Author?

I would make this into a poll, but you can only have up to ten entries for possible selection, and there's thousands of authors all around the world, so I'll just ask outright instead: Who's your favorite author or authors? I much prefer the macabre works of Stephen King and Edgar Allan Poe. Of course, those are only two of the authors that I like.

Assmaster said:

Your mother (specifically DooMBoys')

I was not under the impression that you knew my mom.

God.. I like so many books... especially lately with nothing to do around here.

Shakespeare is always good.. so much death ;)

I'd have to go with all yall's moms ;)
Tell them I said hi and that they also never paid me quite enough so I'll have to pick up the rest next time.

I almost never read books, but I'd have to say either Dostoyevsky (which I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov now), Thoreau, any haiku poet (Issa especially, as in my sig), Miyamoto Musashi and his Go Rin No Sho (which I've also just started), or John Giorno.

Terry Pratchett.

R.A. Salvatore and Timothy Zahn also deserve at least one mention in this thread, so it might as well be in this post.

If you're including comic book authors, I'll have to add John Wagner to the list too.

James Clavell (the guy who did Shogun) and the guy who wrote Catch-22.

I think I've read everything Crichton's written except for The Great Train Robbery and The Andromeda Strain. My favorite has to be Sphere. The movie, though it skips over some of the more interesting parts of the book, captures the mood well and is also very well-done IMO.

I didn't read much when I was a child, except for many Roald Dahl books and Michael Ende's The Never-Ending Story. They're all great.

I didn't read much past the age of twelve. I intend to read Lord of the Rings and other works of Tolkien, but I really want to read them in English and English versions are hard to find over here. I'll get around to mail-ordering them eventually.

Lately the works of H.P. Lovecraft have captured my interest. I read Call of Cthulhu to find out what all the fuss was about, and though I had to really concentrate to understand all the nuances and stuff, it really was worth the effort. I've got a number of his stories printed out and I inted to go through all of his work sooner or later.

Lord FlatHead said:

I read Call of Cthulhu to find out what all the fuss was about

You mean deadnail endlessly blathering on about the guy for 2 months?

Oh that reminds me, I read Stephen King's "It" a few years ago and immediately went and bought it. I think I've read it five times in its entirety - which works out to about 6,000 pages.

Lüt said:

You mean deadnail endlessly blathering on about the guy for 2 months?

No, all the references to it in Metallica songs and such.

Lord FlatHead said:

No, all the references to it in Metallica songs and such.

Mmmh, right, I should listen to Call of Cthulu again. That was one of my favorite songs for the longest time because it was the perfect soundtrack to a dream I had around that time.

Lüt said:

Mmmh, right, I should listen to Call of Cthulu again.

Don't forget The Thing That Should Not Be. It's based on another story by Lovecraft, but is basically about the same thing.