Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlayerOGames666

A Random Mapping Contest!

Welcome, Modders, Mappers, Grapevine Elites, and the like, to A Random Mapping Contest,
or ARMC! This is a contest, with no actual theme! All you have to do with this idea, is make
sure that your maps always end with some sort of portal! (I'll group the maps in their respective 
themes.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RULES:
1. If you're making a Terry map, please add an exit, or make it beatable. No-one likes a sandwich that never knew bread.
2. Be sure to keep to a certain set of weapons in your map, because your map in this case, is your own canvas!
3. 1 MAP ONLY. If you have multiple map ideas, try and group them together with teleporters!
4. Maps must be exported in GZDoom-UDMF, but you can still keep it vanilla, though! (No ____ in DOOM Format, only UDMF.)
5. Any maps taken from other games (Control C-V'd) will be disqualified. We've played E1M1 already.
6. Try and experiment often! For example, try make a map with only the bland textures!
7. I will accept maps you have made already, but haven't released yet.
8. If you do not have DOOM 2, you can try and use FreeDOOM: Phase 2. It may not look all that good on MY end, but that's OK.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will be choosing 32 winners to go in a "ARMC-Winners.wad" megawad, after i have played your maps.
Also, I will be accepting wads from today, all the way till two months later, or 13/07/2020. (NOW UNTIL NOVEMBER 13th.) While i am accepting WADS,
i will be playing these, on my YouTube Channel, SlayerOGames666. Happy mapping, and I hope you have fun!

Edited by iconofeggsafe666

There's a few questions I'd like to add before I hop on and give it a try:

1 - What sort of theme is this going for? Typically most ComProj's have a theme to them of some sort like all hell levels or all urban or all... tech >_>

2 - Are we using just the base version of DooM II/DooM or will a custom resource file be introduced? Also, what about custom weapons/enemies?

3 - Is custom MIDI tracks allowed? (90% of the time people do accept new tracks but I still like to ask. :l )

58 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

1 - What sort of theme is this going for? Typically most ComProj's have a theme to them of some sort like all hell levels or all urban or all... tech >_>

As i understood from OP post, there is not any specific theme involved for the maps, just make them end with a portal.

9 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Is there any mandatory IWAD to use (like doom2.wad) or we are free to make the map from any Idtech1 game?

Doom 2. You can use assets from any Id Tech 1 game, if you'd like! Along with custom assets from Realm667, as well!

9 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

There's a few questions I'd like to add before I hop on and give it a try:

2 - Are we using just the base version of DooM II/DooM or will a custom resource file be introduced? Also, what about custom weapons/enemies?

3 - Is custom MIDI tracks allowed? (90% of the time people do accept new tracks but I still like to ask. :l )

1 - Completely Random - your map, your canvas! Just have your map end with some sort of teleporter, to go to the next map.
2 - Use your own custom stuff you picked - If you wanna use Realm667 assets, that's fine by me! Again, Your map, your canvas! :D
3 - Yes! You want custom MIDIS, you get custom midis.

14 hours ago, iconofeggsafe666 said:

I will be choosing 32 winners to go in a "ARMC-Winners.wad" megawad, after i have played your maps.
Also, I will be accepting wads from today, all the way till two months later, or 13/07/2020.

two things. I now know that you are not American due to the day coming before the month, and also, doesn't 32 winners seem like a lot? I don't know. I also can't map at all (nor do I own DOOM on PC).

1 minute ago, LiT_gam3r said:

two things. I now know that you are not American due to the day coming before the month, and also, doesn't 32 winners seem like a lot? I don't know. I also can't map at all (nor do I own DOOM on PC).

"I will be choosing 32 winners to go in a "ARMC-Winners.wad" megawad"
1. I would be expecting for mappers from all places pop their hats into the ring.
2. I'm Australian.
3. ...Try and see if FreeDOOM: Phase 2 works with the textures in DOOM 2, then people like you can use that. I'll update the rules.

19 hours ago, iconofeggsafe666 said:

6. Try and experiment often! For example, try make a map with only the bland textures!

Hmm... I have an idea.(And, no, it's not STARTAN! Although...)

18 minutes ago, Pełzająca Część Twarzy said:

If you want to combine all maps in one MegaWads, all maps should end by killing player to force pistol start in next level. At least if you ask me  

Not needed when targeting Z-ports, it can be forced via MAPINFO (ResetInventory).

8 hours ago, sergeirocks100 said:

after i finish map08 of my own project, i might submit it here, i doubt i will win, but it will be nice to try

Who knows, it may be a solid map!

8 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

What do you mean by end with a portal? Do stepping on a teleporter to end count?

Yeah, and i'll force a pistol start for each map, because each person will have their own map or "Canvas" to work on, so they have their own assets, as well.

11 hours ago, iconofeggsafe666 said:

Doom 2. You can use assets from any Id Tech 1 game, if you'd like! Along with custom assets from Realm667, as well!

Ok, thanks.

10 minutes ago, aletheos eberlain said:

So, I should not include custom textures? Even if they are made from the originals(e.g. rotate a patch 90° so it can be aligned properly on walls?)

What rule gives you this problem? I'll try and clarify.

1 minute ago, iconofeggsafe666 said:

What rule gives you this problem? I'll try and clarify.

No, it wasn't the rules. I may have misread your response to Walter confetti as being more limiting than it was intended. I thought you were saying that the resources allowed were 'from any Id Tech 1 game' as well as 'custom assets from realm667'.

1 minute ago, aletheos eberlain said:

No, it wasn't the rules. I may have misread your response to Walter confetti as being more limiting than it was intended. I thought you were saying that the resources allowed were 'from any Id Tech 1 game' as well as 'custom assets from realm667'.

Yes, yes. Your map, (If you wanna try making one) Is your canvas, i'll be providing the Statusbar stuff and sounds.

Giving mappers to use ANY custom textures they want will be a pain later on.

You will either  have to hunt down every single custom texture mappers have used in their maps to compile in the final product, or tell people to install wads with 99% of graphics they won't be needing anytime soon.

11 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Giving mappers to use ANY custom textures they want will be a pain later on.

You will either  have to hunt down every single custom texture mappers have used in their maps to compile in the final product, or tell people to install wads with 99% of graphics they won't be needing anytime soon.

Heh, the amount of new stuff in the final product would go over 100 MBs, due to all the content in the megawad.

Hey man, so trying to bring clarity to my mind here on somethings. We can use any texture we want...and any resource we want?

4 hours ago, MikeyScoots said:

Hey man, so trying to bring clarity to my mind here on somethings. We can use any texture we want...and any resource we want?

Yes, the idea for this mapping contest is for each map to be your own "Canvas". So, if you want, go nuts, pal!

I'm interested.

But if we finish the map, how will we submit it, do we just post it here or do we PM you?

Edited by Wneaf

On 5/15/2020 at 9:22 AM, Wneaf said:

I'm interested.

But if we finish the map, how will we submit it, do we just post it here or do we PM you?

Post it here!

What is the reason for having to use UDMF? Why can't a vanilla map just use the vanilla format?

21 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

What is the reason for having to use UDMF? Why can't a vanilla map just use the vanilla format?

The thing is, my workflow is in a UDMF style. Allows you to do so much more, while keeping to a sort of vanilla style.

I see. Well, I already have a suitable (I think) map I made a few months ago in vanilla format, but converting it is a pain in the ass since the Ultimate Doom Builder doesn't seem to handle the conversion correctly.