Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
superboo07

Doom quality of life (Its really not)

The phrase and the secret approach of the post... for some reason gives me goosebumps!

jokes aside, you might have better chance of our attention if you tell us a little story abouth why you make this, your motivation, and obviosly, the changes, my man, the changes!

Yeah, nice. So, how is this Doom Quality of Life different to Doom Retro?

It makes it so you spawn with a shot gun and chainsaw. Also if you are using the shareware version if you select any of the other episodes (aside from knee deep in the dead) it will bring you to the page on good old games where you can buy doom.

Since it deviates from Doomretro, its zip should be named accordingly.

But a source port generally needs something to stand out. So as far as i know, Doom-QoL is more a source modification at this point than a proper port.

That said, a good exercise in source modding, for sure and a great learning tool. Well done.

If you make the QOL features optional flags, that would be awesome. Heck, you could implement different optional starting bonuses so people could take on different maps accordingly. That’d be an interesting spin. 

Sounds like an interesting idea for casual players. You might be able to appeal to all kinds of demographics if you include what Doomkid said. Imagine a fist only start. Brutal.

1 hour ago, lazy91geek said:

Imagine a fist only start. Brutal.

But then you'll never have a chance to get the pistol.

33 minutes ago, fabian said:

But then you'll never have a chance to get the pistol.

Not that the pistol is even useful once the chaingun is obtained.

7 hours ago, lazy91geek said:

A weaponless start. You have to pick up fists before you can fight, and you can't pick up any weapon until you first have fists to pick them with, obviously.

8 hours ago, lazy91geek said:

STRAIN calls for you, my friend.

You can now use the pistol. To enable it type "Pistolstart" or "vanilla" into the console. You can open the console by pressing the ' key on your keyboard.

Original post: 

Please just post updates to this thread - there's no need to start a new thread every time you have an update. It keeps a clearer history and allows others to follow along with your work more easily.

Minor update,

I added the ability to toggle the vanilla mode in the settings menu.

Next im going to work on implementing some other weapon starts. Including the ones suggested here.