Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueBeast

How to get WADS reviewed in Newstuff?

What does a person do to get his/her levels to be seen and reviewed by the newstuff chronicles section of doomworld?

And on a side note, whats required to gat an avatar, let alone modify it to suit taste?

As always thanks in advance!

On the top of the page just below the banner there is a link labeled User Profile. Click that and then click Edit Options. On the bottom of that page you can select an avatar.

Just to clarify: everyone (regardless of postcount) can choose an avatar from the available ones, as Empyre explains. (Aside: expect a bit of undeserved flak if you inadvertently choose one that has been used in the recent past by a much-hated member.) Once you have at least 250 posts, you can upload your own avatar (or link to it).

How to get reviewed in the Newstuff Chronicles:

1 - Make a map (or series of maps in a wadfile) for Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, or Hexen
2 - Read the /newstuff FAQ to find how and where to upload it, and do what it says.
3 - Wait. Sometime Sunday they will do the Newstuff Chronicles, and chances are it will be there, unless you loaded it too late. If that's the case, it will probably be there the next week.

Do note however that you need a lot of luck if you submit your WAD to newstuff, if your goal is to get as many people as possible to play your wad. I write this in the light of recent events. I just uploaded a map to newstuff. This is what happened:

*) The guy who was supposed to do the reviews was gone, so some other guy did the reviews without playing through the levels thorougly, if at all. This made pretty crappy reviews.

*) A flamewar ensued because of the crappy reviews.

*) Pretty many maps were posted this particular week.

*) Newstuff gets pushed off the top story box after being there like a day for the release of RTC-3057.

This is a pretty optimal scenario to draw the attention away from your map :) It's not a big deal though, it's only a map, and note that I don't flame anyone for this; crappy reviews are better than none.

Just a thought.

Grul, review or not, there's always people looking at the newstuff directory, even some who don't pay attention to the "reviews." Keep in mind people may be playing your WAD right now... possibly with a demo or two eventually showing up at the DSDA.

*Sigh* when will people realise that being a bit rude and/or acting a little pissed off are NOT the same thing as flaming?

Keep in mind people may be playing your WAD right now... possibly with a demo or two eventually showing up at the DSDA.

I reason that this is true for Single Player maps. I mean, you only need one person to play it.

For people to play your DM maps regularly, though, it's a lot harder, since many people need to have your map. Most likely, you will have to release a few, and then make a WAD with all of them in one pack. Or, if you're lucky and play your cards right, you could fanangle someone doing a megawad to include your map.

Actually, it's generally people making megawads who are lucky to get any levels submitted at all, rather than people making a single evel who are lucky to get the level accepted into a megawad :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Actually, it's generally people making megawads who are lucky to get any levels submitted at all, rather than people making a single evel who are lucky to get the level accepted into a megawad :)

How true.

NiGHTMARE said:

Actually, it's generally people making megawads who are lucky to get any levels submitted at all, rather than people making a single level who are lucky to get the level accepted into a megawad :)

Strangely enough I've had single maps accepted into megawads three times, and the projects I joined received practically nothing :(

kristus said:

Yes. the horrible memories of leading Doom development teams..

Heh, Team Insanity isn't even a team anymore, it's just me :P

Lüt said:

That is one the most depressing things I've ever heard. :(

NiGHTMARE said:

Hah! I had no idea that was how it worked; i always wondered why some projects lacked continuity. I'm trying to build maps that follow smoothly on from one another (ie, enter a lift shaft to end a level, and begin the next level in the same place but with lift travelling to destination).

I've only thrown one of the Underworld maps up to newstuff, and it recieved a pretty good review (main complaint was that it was a little too 'easy'). I can't really complain with that.

Incidently, with just the two of us working on the project, would you suggest that we find more mappers? We were originally trying to keep to a tightly controlled 'plot', and were worried that taking in outside support would mean us straying to that ideal. On top of that, i would probably end up modifying even those maps to incorporate Doomsday's XGdata and light sourcing.

Any suggestions?

NiGHTMARE said:

*Sigh* when will people realise that being a bit rude and/or acting a little pissed off are NOT the same thing as flaming?

Duh, whatever.

Lüt said:

For how many years has it been like that? :)