Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MPS

Deep Into The Massacre - Doom II Megawad (Version 3)

I've played a couple of maps on UV:

Generally you seem a fan of using a lot of Barons but without providing the player with enough firepower to take them all out without having to resort to spending ages shooting them with a Shotgun/Chaingun, which is not really that fun. At least a SSG reduces the tedium, and if there's a bunch of them consider providing a RL and some ammo. You could also consider whether Hell Knights in some places instead of Barons would accomplish the same objective.

Map 1 - The MegaArmour secret near the start very much warps the map. With the amount of hitscanners there are in this map, a regular Armour in plain sight is probably a better idea. Finding that secret (which I didn't do until much later on) feels too powerful that early on. Some more Rockets would be nice for the multiple Barons.

Map 2 - The SSG really should be before the double Baron as I've had to kill three with only a SG/CG. I also seem to have teleported to the area with the yellow door, but I don't have the key, and now I seem to be trapped... (Is the teleporter supposed to be two-way?)

7 minutes ago, Degree23 said:

I've played a couple of maps on UV:

Generally you seem a fan of using a lot of Barons but without providing the player with enough firepower to take them all out without having to resort to spending ages shooting them with a Shotgun/Chaingun, which is not really that fun. At least a SSG reduces the tedium, and if there's a bunch of them consider providing a RL and some ammo. You could also consider whether Hell Knights in some places instead of Barons would accomplish the same objective.

Map 1 - The MegaArmour secret near the start very much warps the map. With the amount of hitscanners there are in this map, a regular Armour in plain sight is probably a better idea. Finding that secret (which I didn't do until much later on) feels too powerful that early on. Some more Rockets would be nice for the multiple Barons.

Map 2 - The SSG really should be before the double Baron as I've had to kill three with only a SG/CG. I also seem to have teleported to the area with the yellow door, but I don't have the key, and now I seem to be trapped... (Is the teleporter supposed to be two-way?)

There's a lift near the window where it is the radiation suit that you can exit from there. I could add some candles to indicate that.

Ok, that is not obvious, although in hindsight there's only a few walls to check.

Map 2 - Having played again, there's quite a lot that I wondered about this map:

- This time I got trapped by the 3 Barons at the yellow door. Although they should all be away from where you enter this room due to the map layout, you have to kill a couple of enemies, and that can give them enough time to crowd around you. It's also a small room and you can easily be killed here.

- You provide over 600 Cells before the Cyberdemon, yet I haven't come across either a PG or BFG.

- Having picked up the blue key, I'm not sure why I got teleported all the way back to the start of the map. I was expecting the door in front of you at the start to be open now, but it turns out it's not a door at all. I didn't have to trace out any new paths, and had to kill a whole bunch of enemies just to retrace my steps. Retracing can be cool, here it just felt frustrating, perhaps because of the amount of damaging floors you have.

- Do you need to have all damaging floors be 20 damage tics?

- Is there a reason the narrow walkway that rises to the two Barons (before the AV trap) is a damaging floor?

- The blue door doesn't have any markings on it.

Map 3 - Generally you're using a lot of typical door textures for things that aren't doors, and a lot of walls are functioning as doors. In terms of exploration, that does make it quite frustrating to have to check everything not knowing whether what appears to be a door actually is or not. That is somewhat mitigated here if you find the Automap, but in general, consistent texture usage has its advantages. In terms of balance, now that you've given the player a BFG, that has the potential to significantly alter the balance of the upcoming maps, especially as I have 600 Cells leaving this map.

great work making an entire megawad! grabbing this right now. screenshots look pretty old-school, a lot like no. 1 kill.wad :3

Vanilla Slaughtermaps? I say yes.

It has HR2 vibes I think , I should play it !

Do you plan to give this an idgames release? These maps have some pretty interesting layouts! Not bad for a first-timer!

I played the first 18 maps. Progression is often cryptic - keys in spots other maps would label as secret areas. Many of the secrets are behind fake walls that have no indication at all that something is there.

3 hours ago, Mad Butcher said:

Download link is broken.

Try the alternative link.

idgames version has been released.
The music has been screwed up while importing the DEHACKED file to the WAD;

To fix that, patch the correct .deh file from the .zip file to the WAD with SLADE or with another editor.

If you gonna play with Chocolate Doom, skip this step using the shortcut with the .deh file apart.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/deep

I love the classic style of the wad! I'll have to give this a go when I've got some time.

Played a bit of this. Enjoyed the first few maps but monster placement, general architectural patterns, and gameplay felt very samey from one level to the next. It's something I might enjoy playing a map or two of in between other things, though, as opposed to playing it straight through so I'll keep it around.

It definitely could have benefited from some non-stock music, even though rearranging the order of the standard Doom 2 music is a neat idea.

Anyone having trouble with progression, secrets, etc. should look at the automap more, things are pretty clearly discoverable that way which I assume was intentional.

I really didn't enjoy this whatsoever.  Right from the get-go, you are pummeled with like 65 hitscanners while you still have a pistol.  You keep teleporting around, retreading old territory (except there are doors open with more monsters than before, etc.) and it's all pretty uninspired.  The creator has good fundamentals, but you could pass on this and love your life just as much.  Every level is the same concept, and is wave after wave of enemies.  Maybe isntead of making a megawad, just make 3 big levels with some different architectural concepts.