Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

Being a Doom fan hasn’t been this emotionally draining in a long time

1000s of wonderful user-made Wads / custom level editing and sharing / interesting, community-building projects / positive and friendly Doom streamers / All the helpful folks here on Doomworld / GZDoom / Brutal Doom / Oblige/ .......

This is my Doom. Everything else is secondary. Doom2016 and Eternal are great but they are neither here nor there with me. I can shrug off all the rest. I don't even care if they ever made some lousy B-grade Doom movie that no-one will watch and cast a woman as the Doomguy. Oh wait...

2 hours ago, seed said:

No that's incorrect actually, Dark Pulse gave an example of a Sony DRM recently which was exploited... a month after it started being used.

Yes, I remember that now. I think this is what you're referring to? That was a rather invasive rootkit, and one revolving around a particularly brain-dead and trivial-to-exploit idea. I wonder how similar its idea to those behind most other, more widely-used CD copy protection schemes.

So what, I should remove the StarForce drivers left behind during my testing, disable SafeDisc anywhere it's still enabled, and only play cracked games from now on? :P

OP, everybody on the Internet is a fucking idiot, stop giving shits, pirate Bethesda releases. 

Seriously, I can understand it's disappointing, but you shouldn't let some piece of entertainment get to you that much. 

1 hour ago, dr_st said:

Yes, I remember that now. I think this is what you're referring to? That was a rather invasive rootkit, and one revolving around a particularly brain-dead and trivial-to-exploit idea. I wonder how similar its idea to those behind most other, more widely-used CD copy protection schemes.

So what, I should remove the StarForce drivers left behind during my testing, disable SafeDisc anywhere it's still enabled, and only play cracked games from now on? :P

Sounds like the perfect plan to me :D .

Guest Unregistered account

I like how OP is pointing out fair causes for concern about the community which, even if won't cause the end of it, still puts a dampener on it all, and people are being needlessly aggressive and rude for no reason lol

I am pretty sure there is a specific moment in time where being a Doom fan was akin to something far worse. A software update doesn't hold a candle to the year 1999. This is just gaming politics and hubris. We are one of gaming's oldest and strongest communities. We will endure this. Besides most people who play Doom understand the new stuff isn't made by the original ID staff, so its not like Doom the IP is a joke just what they have done with the game is. But keep in mind, don't drain yourself over this, if you look to our past, Doom's history is spotted with way more significant events that made it draining to be a fan. 

I can't say that I've seen anyone "turning on the Doom franchise"; most of the reaction seems to be along the lines of how awful it is to see such a shitty thing being done against a great game. Maybe that's just because of the online circles that I move in. But I see no good reason for anyone to bear any kind of grudge against Doom. Even typing that sentence out felt ridiculous. Oh I'm sure you if you looked hard enough, you could find a handful of absolute nutters, or people who are incorrigibly addicted to hating things just because. 

I'm not quite giving up on Doom Eternal just yet. Whoever is responsible for this mess can still fix it, although I am definitely prepared to be disappointed on that front.

20 hours ago, Linguica said:

I'm not emotionally drained by the drama surrounding Doom Eternal at all. Doom has proven to be basically immortal at this point so I can gawk at the latest statue of Ozymandias and wonder what the next one will be like.

Thought experiment: Doom 4 is released as the CoD military shooter from the early build... Does it survive?

Had started playing Eternal at launch but left it for a bit after being frustrated by the extreme lack of ammo and being stuck (out of necessity) in glory kill animations a lot of the time rather than actually shooting. Being busy with projects like PsyDoom and general life stuff also didn’t help.

Had been intending on returning to Eternal soon and giving it a proper chance but now that this junk has made it’s way into the game I think I will just wait a bit more. Not too worried (or bothered) about it TBH though... It seems like this will be patched out of the SP game quickly given the backlash. Even if that doesn’t happen there are still countless amazing (and upcoming) mods for the original games to satisfy any Doom cravings. Not to mention tons of other great games out there still waiting to be played... (one thing we are not short of these days!)

I wouldn’t be concerned about it too much, Doom has spent time in the wilderness before and isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Even if there are no (official) new releases in the series fans are still going to find new and ingenious ways to mod the original games and keep the torch burning.

3 hours ago, intacowetrust said:

Had been intending on returning to Eternal soon and giving it a proper chance but now that this junk has made it’s way into the game I think I will just wait a bit more. Not too worried (or bothered) about it TBH though... It seems like this will be patched out of the SP game quickly given the backlash.

Yeah. These kind of things is why I almost never play titles as soon as they are released, and instead wait (sometimes upwards of a year) for things to stabilize, bugs and quirks to be worked out and annoyances removed.

21 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

I like how OP is pointing out fair causes for concern about the community which, even if won't cause the end of it, still puts a dampener on it all, and people are being needlessly aggressive and rude for no reason lol

Most issues i had were i think with very young people who had an issue with opinions and nuance, as if opinions could be factually wrong or something. It can be taxing but put in its context it reduces the impact these frictions can have.
I distanced myself from the subreddit and i avoid commenting about Doom stuff on twitter...