Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem: 2020 Edition - On Idgames!

3 hours ago, blinds1ght said:

Thank you both for the kind words! I'm definitely game, so I've decided to give it another go. Here's what I came up with:

hot damn, those screenshots are beautiful. that map looks excellent!

17 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I noticed a small issue with the resource WAD: there are two different textures named GRAY35 (I assume the larger one was supposed to be GRAY33).

W5Ig4Yy.png

So this is why the gray35 in @Dragonfly's map wasn't rendering properly.

Re-refueling base update 2.

Removed railing mid-textures, because they look odd in prboom (not GZDoom?) see below screenshot.

Same link, as usual.

And i just thought: someday there will be (should be) same 20-sectors competition, but in UDMF+acs. This will be legendary. 8)

Spoiler

railing1.jpg.be4abac625a55886c2e7639c60d70bd2.jpg

5 hours ago, 4MaTC said:

they look odd in prboom (not Gzdoom?)

Hide contents

Prboom and vanilla don’t cut off mid textures at the floor or ceiling - you can get around this by making the sector lighting different on either side of them, but that might be challenging on a 20 sector limit.

15 minutes ago, DavidN said:

Prboom and vanilla don’t cut off mid textures at the floor or ceiling - you can get around this by making the sector lighting different on either side of them, but that might be challenging on a 20 sector limit.

Yeah, it was a bit easier to create a new midrail texture from the whole patch and set it up as lower unpegged.

Here's what I believe to be the final version of my map, Monolith, barring any unforeseen issues or my unwillingness to stop fiddling with nobs.

Monolith.wad

Capture.PNG.0bdb5672bde02ffc08eac8c93768b6bf.PNG

Screenshot_Doom_20200518_161656.png.422129d4de1f2c854c49b51ba2f85f1f.png

Edited by NaturalTvventy

Is it ok to use a custom sky, say something from Mek's Box'o'skies?

Although first I need to work out how to add custom textures to a Boom-compat wad and not cause PRBoom+ to instantly crash with a "signal 11" error.  I'm too spoiled by UDMF where you just copy them into the textures folder.

^ Copy the Mayhem 2020 TEXTUREX and PNAMES into your wad. Start adding new textures to that.

10 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

^ Copy the Mayhem 2020 TEXTUREX and PNAMES into your wad. Start adding new textures to that.

That worked!  Thanks AD!

Grumble grumble I don't have to put up with this TEXTUREX nonsense with UDMF

Update of my map: >>>>>>>>> link <<<<<<<<<

- It's 1.1 so it isn't confused with the previous.

- Added other player starts and, some mancubi, honestly I don't know what else could go on coop :x

- Fixed/modified minor stuff.

- Green skybox is in texture2 lump btw, hope that was the correct place (named GALSKY1).

2nd btw, it loads with the 1.1 version of the resource pack. 

Updated my map to alpha 4. Changes since the initial release includes difficulty settings and ammo balance, TODO: coop balancing and some extra detailing.

Apologies for the radio silence! I'll try to leave some feedback posts today and update the resource pack.

I should hopefully have a beta version of my map ready to go in the next day or two. Wanted to have it ready this weekend but didn't have as much time to finish it up as I wanted to, but it's getting there.

Finally done my submission, I eventually got the hang of the sector limit lol. It's an E4-inspired level. 

Map Name: Solitude Denied

Map Link (latest version): horus_20sectors_v3.zip

All difficulties implemented and tested (106 monsters on UV)

Co-op starts implemented

Sectors used: 20

Music: "Sign of Evil" by Bobby Prince

Textures: Requires MAY20RES_1.1 (will not work with 1.0 as it uses the E4 vanilla sky which was added in 1.1)

20sectors.png

Edited by Horus

That was a fun challenge!  You really start to appreciate the value of a single sector.  Introducing a classic E1 style tech base, albeit with a bit of a... quirk.  A group of rather angry quirks that aren't too fond of letting you run around their tech base.

• Title: The Running of the Bulls
  • Music: Master Militants by Jimmy
  • Sky: WRKSKY08 by Mechadon, from Mek's Box 'o Skies
  • All difficulties implemented and co-op starts added
  • Plays best by far from a pistol-start, but continuous doesn't break it
  • Includes a ZMAPINFO lump to enable a necessary ZDoom comp setting

Download link here (updated to v1.1)

v1.1 changes

• Removed decorative explosive barrels
  • Spread the armor out more

Screenshot_Doom_20200519_101633.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200519_101854.png

Any and all feedback welcome!

Edited by Bauul

Advanced engine required: Restrictive Boom-compatible ports.
Will not work with: Any ZDoom-based ports; and probably (k8)vavoom. (more on that below)
Author: TheNoob_Gamer
Difficulty settings: Absolutely yes.
Build time: 2 weeks, also counting procrastination
Music: Warped and Wack by Kyle Dobson/Nabernizer
Inspiration: Scythe 2 Map28, Doom 2 map24/AV map29, real life
Tested with: PRBoom+ 2.5.1.7, Eternity 4.0 (dev build), GZDoom 4.3.3, LZDoom 2.8.1 I think. 2 of which DON't work.

This map abuses voodoo dolls slightly heavily.

Finally, I managed to finish my map. Technical info above. 

Map name is Cyberdismantling.

This map is very untraditional, don't expect demon slaying if you are playing alone.

-fast launch parameter recommended for veterans.

Some very important technical notes:

• This WILL not work in any ZDoom-based ports, because of how untraditional this map is (or more seriously, ZDoom can't deal with this kind of voodoo doll usage). Please consider switching to something like PRBoom+ or Eternity, they work fine (and just in case, set to -complevel 9/Boom compatibly level in PRBoom+). I haven't think of workarounds yet - setting complevels in these doesn't work, please suggest.
  • Yes, you are supposed to shoot the barrel. 
  • If you are having a hard time playing this map, tone down to ITYTD/HMP; freelooking or look at the visual cues.
  • As mentioned VERY earlier in this thread, I am unable to balance 4 players coop due to the main gimmick centering around my map. Instead, 2-player coop is one of my primary focus on this map (you DO get to shoot demons as the 2nd player); though ammo placement (and the MP-exclusive arena) is a bit barebons at the moment. @Obsidian or others, I would be very glad if you can leave some comments of how to do 4 player coop in this. Of course, no DM starts.

ScreenshotsTM

IDd00Rs.png

W7o6Xdp.png

2GJfnaK.png

Have fun! Please load this with the latest (v1.1 currently) resource pack.

noob_may20.zip

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

image.png.f3744fde96bcb46f2afe3decc62ad483.png

Work in progress, but I am afraid I will not be able to finish the map by the end of May. I hope some extra time will be in June.

I hope it's not too late to sign up as my inevitable return to mapping! This looks quite interesting so far.

sorry if this is a silly question, but is this mandatory to be designed in Boom?

7 minutes ago, TheV1perK1ller said:

@Scorpius Not a silly question at all. All maps do indeed have to be designed under the 'Boom' format.

I should mention that Boom is indeed the ceiling in regards to compatibility, but if you feel more comfortable mapping in limit removing or even vanilla then you can do so.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:31 PM, Tango said:

hot damn, those screenshots are beautiful. that map looks excellent!

Thank you!

I thought I was finished with my map after uploading the latest version, but now I've decided that it needs a better finale. It never ends, does it? :)

My progress so far:

Spoiler

toxic_waltz_v3_wip.png.8ef4ccdc430759a387caf0ff803e6b33.png

First draft time! Here's "Edge of Twilight". Uses all 20 sectors, starts and difficulty levels are implemented.
Music: "Whomp" (original unused version) by Lee Jackson. May replace with something different later.

DhSpfSn.png

hr0QLY1.png

OnrODlm.png

JVL75EZ.png

I'm probably going to revise and tweak some stuff later, but after about two weeks of messing around I figured it was at a point where I could get some public feedback. Special thanks to @esselfortium and @_sink for some preliminary testing and ideas.

Edited by Revenant

@NaturalTvventy - Monolith

I admittedly played the previous version, but what I saw was really damn impressive: loving the grungy Doom 1 feel and the frantic combat. Like TheNoob_Gamer I ended up sprinting past the enemies to the exit when I was trying to beat the map proper, but I made sure to take in the gameplay on subsequent plays and it's really something to sink your teeth into. I also like the teleporters, really cool-looking.

@wydoomer - Lab Rat

Really liking the aesthetic that you went for in this one, the combination of the stark colours and jagged edges really makes the map feel unique. Beyond that I also enjoyed the progression and the gameplay, with a special shout-out to the Caco fight: really fun while still being tense, I dig it a lot. About the only feedback I have is that the teleporter behind the Hell Knights that are revealed before you pick up the first key teleports back to itself (as does another one that gets revealed, which leads me to believe that they're supposed to teleport to each other instead). Besides that, great job!

As for why feedback has been a bit late...(plays on MAP30)

Edited by Obsidian

Thanks for the feedback. Those portals behind the HKs are configured like that intentionally only to prevent softlock. Those closets are joined to the sector that lowers which allows progression after the first key, so it would be possible to get stuck if you fall in after hitting the first key switch. I suppose it might make more sense to link them

6 hours ago, Impie said:

Cokey-Nuts

Pretty good map, I like how you spent some sectors to create a somewhat believeable abandoned tropical village here. 

Combat overall is fine, though it has some issues.

Some suggestions:

• A player corspe at the start would be nice to indicate that something really, really bad is gonna happen. (I heard you like putting stories in your mods, so why not?)
  • Being an open-ended map, I think the berserk and chaingun is pretty redundant. Maybe tone down the ammo placements?
  • (In the cavern area housing the BFG, the entrance could be make bigger to fit the Cybers in)

6 hours ago, Impie said:

Was not expecting a hellish bar here, nice job!

Ammo isn't a problem here, in fact, it's very well balanced that I ended up juggling between the shotguns, the rl and the rifle.

However, the yellow door isn't working. I think you have either not assigned a tag yet or assigned a wrong linedef action (shouldn't it be D1?)

Also music in both wads not working for me on PRboom+ (I don't know why did you decide to use mapinfo instead of just replacing the music lump name)

(Both were tested on UV, -complevel 9)

@TheNoob_Gamer I thought it'd be more efficient to use a Mapinfo so when Obsidian adds the maps to the megawad he doesn't have to rename anything.

Looks like the yellow doors lost their tag somehow...

Thanks for the feedback! I'll tweak the maps a bit.

EDIT: maps updated. i think the cybs should be able to fit in that bfg cave now.

Edited by Impie