Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

12 hours ago, KaZudra said:

Still kinda hate TNT's stupid Seven texture BS.

ezgif-3-c5d3392ff793.gif

Those look awesome! Maybe it's time to get the old Smooth Texture pack back together again...

@elend how did you make those cables? I was planning on making some similar assets for my own map, would love to get some tips.

3 hours ago, elend said:

I am using Doom 3 textures in my current map and somehow I was not happy with the cables, also I needed them bigger. Thus I made myself some new ones. They are based on the Doom 3 cables found in the Doom 3 texture pack by HIDfan, although they are completely remade from scratch. Some are pretty huge, because I have problems with scale and my map is huge. ;(

They look great!

Oh thanks. Well, I am using a vector based program for these, because I am quite used to that. Just place some bezier curves, add some very simple highlights and shading and that's basically about it. At Doom's resolution everything merges together into a mess of pixels anyway. Thus I mostly have to pixel edit them a bit as well, especially the edges.

My source file:

Spoiler

testx8kk9.png

Edited by elend

13 hours ago, Gifty said:

Those look awesome! Maybe it's time to get the old Smooth Texture pack back together again...

Not yet.

Give me a little more time.

34 minutes ago, KaZudra said:

Not yet.

Give me a little more time.

I don't want to imply that you'd do all of them, naturally. I've been having a lot of smooth texture ideas myself recently.

EDIT: god damn, I had a really cool "gargoyle spitting blood" texture with a mad number of frames, but the export function in this program always seems to come out different from what I create.

Edited by Gifty

It would be cool to include some textures that aren't normally animated, e.g. some of the computer textures.

On 5/18/2020 at 2:18 PM, NiGHTMARE said:

I'm still using the almost 20 years old Paintshop Pro 7.

I'm using Paintshop Pro 8, Gimp (rarely), Arcsoft PhotoMax Pro 1.0 (mainly) that's about 22 years old and also Wally (sometimes).

Here is an edit I made to brick5 for one of my main projects. I wanted a less repetitive version so I made it 256 wide and then I did a slight color variation. Then a red one appeared.

brick57.png.2001ef866d083addecacb088e99456c6.pngbrick59.png.bd704b73b723780373d0dcff663751d4.pngbrick56.png.47cbd3c11493e44d492965827fc0b9e7.png

@Anonymous777

This is creepy looking! by the way i used that eye ball wall texture for my upcoming heretic RPG which I'm still working on

On 5/27/2020 at 2:41 PM, GJC said:

Felt like changing this: COMP1B_4.png.b56a8656b3f63992bdda508b9ae248cf.png

To this: COMP1B_5.png.15101da1d8429a6dd4fefbd120852d97.png

Edited id texture.

Could be like a variant.

Maybe fit some time travelling/alt timeline travel sort of wad.

4 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Maybe fit some time travelling/alt timeline travel sort of wad.

TNT Wormhole megawad when?

Testing Gimp's "auto-tile" feature on this texture I drew today. There's a little smudginess, but overall it's not bad! (Are there any Krita users here? My friend tipped me off to it, I'm going to see how well it performs for pixel art. I like Gimp but the old boy's awful slow)

Untitled.png

Edited by Gifty

It has an "auto tile" feature? That's nice. Looks good to me apart from that one line between the bricks, which is mightily blurry. But that's easy to fix. Do you work from high-res textures and scale them down afterwards? If so, you also might want to try this online tool maybe. Depending on texture it can yield good results.

At a Doomish resolution of 128x128, it gives this:

pbGMQbl.png

I slightly brightened a bit some of the mortar lines so they wouldn't end up distractingly darker than the others.

4 hours ago, Gifty said:

(Are there any Krita users here? My friend tipped me off to it, I'm going to see how well it performs for pixel art. I like Gimp but the old boy's awful slow)

Krita is geared more towards simulating the textures of physical media than individual pixel-pushing in my experience.  It's probably not very good for true pixel art but for Doom-style "pixel art" I suppose you might get some mileage out of it.

4 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Krita is geared more towards simulating the textures of physical media than individual pixel-pushing in my experience.  It's probably not very good for true pixel art but for Doom-style "pixel art" I suppose you might get some mileage out of it.

I did sort of get that impression; my main problem currently is that most dedicated pixel art programs are highly specialized and basically have no photomanipulation tools, which are kind of a must for 90s fps graphics. But a lot of the powerful photomanipulation tools don't have a quick or easy workflow for single-pixel or indexed color editing. What I'm hoping to find is an all-in-one that with decent photmanip tools AND a fast workflow for small stuff. Gimp would be perfect, but it's really chuggy and slow.

4 hours ago, Gifty said:

What I'm hoping to find is an all-in-one that with decent photmanip tools AND a fast workflow for small stuff.

I'd say PaintNET fits that niche quite well. I've been using it for both pixel art and photo edits for a long time, it's easy to use, and fast enough that I'm actually using it as my default picture viewer in Windows 10 currently.

The lower part of the BROWNGRN with numbers and a mine (Coming soon in my upcoming WAD) and a Nintendo Zapper which my friend made.

N_MINE.png

NUMBER0.png

NUMBER1.png

NUMBER2.png

NUMBER3.png

NUMBER4.png

PISFA0.png

PISGA0.png

PISGB0.png

PISGC0.png

PISGD0.png

PISGE0.png

Made a couple doors. The green door is made from the exit door and big green tech door. The middle of the silver door is from that pile of assets Romero released.

Then I recolored the doom pipes a couple times. I gave up on red, it wasn't looking right, so I gave up and went for food and couldn't be bothered to try again.

door_110.png.374840e7fb904a86cc32b1672139312e.pngdoor_xt1.png.3cbc487d6b66f6d46f635c6c172fcb0d.pngpipe101.png.142b75cbbcb8ce0bddc15afa6089e374.pngpipe102.png.0e94ed93643c1137e7d643d3a1ef519c.pngpipe103.png.5c2f9859887c7d07ff9d92e0b8a30f30.png

More garish recolors. This time, it's the ZIMMER1/2/3/4.

AmSM2Ui.png