Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GrossViche

First map, looking for advice

Hi everyone,

I started my first map about 2 weeks ago, and was hoping to learn a lot about DOOM Builder 2 along the way. The basic gist of my map was that I wanted the player to start in a "Dead Simple"-type arena, and then progressively progress into a base, to finally take a teleporter to the first arena and exit the level.

I have a question, regarding ceiling and floor texture alignment: when I was trying to make a teleporter, the texture wouldn't align correctly and I saw that I couldn't offset it.

Are you unable to correctly align floor textures? If so, how would you go about correctly setting up the texture? (you'l see what my problem is with the first teleporter, the texture isn't set correctly).

Hope you have fun, and thanks for the advice.

test01.zip

teleportertexture.PNG

Align your teleport sector to the 64x46 grid, it's there for a reason; the (vanilla) DOOM engine specifically aligns flats that way by default.

@GrossViche
Ah there are 2 ways to do this, if you are mapping for vanilla format, boom, zdoom(doom/doom2 format) you must align the floor on the 64x64 grid.

The other way is to make the map in UDMF format, in UDMF format you can align floors as well as walls, you can also rotate those textures on the surface. Additionally in UDMF you can use wall textures on floors and floor textures on walls, you can also scale the textures to fit a width or height. It basically gives you a lot more freedom in fitting textures in that regard.

To add onto the comment on UDMF, while it does allow texture alignment, the engines which support UDMF are significantly fewer than the engines which support vanilla or Boom format maps. UDMF allows for a lot more customization of almost everything in the map, but that level of freedom can easily lead to choice paralysis or very un-Doomish gameplay. It's certainly a viable and valid option, but it's also worth being mindful that it might make the rest of the mapping experience a lot more complicated than it needs to be, especially if you're just starting out. On the other hand, a map that works in vanilla format on a fairly vanilla source port will work on (basically) anything.

2 hours ago, GrossViche said:

DOOM Builder 2

This is why I wasn't giving UDMF advice.

I also had many of these problems when i used Doom Builder 2, specially because i love teleporters, you just have to move the sector, in your case, move it to the left or to the right.

If you ever find you really can't align a particular flat to the grid, you can always create a offset version of it in a image editor such as GIMP.