Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AleksB

Hell revealed 3???

Was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a comminity wad project on continuing the hell revealed mega wads?  Would be pretty cool to revive the trilogy and make new maps. Is this something people would be intetested in?  

12 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

You will have to contact the original authors of HR1 I'm afraid.

Oh i had no idea. Is there a reason why?

Or maybe a tribute to the megawad?  Was just thinking about making some hard maps like them and maybe make it a community project

I'm not sure the team behind HR2 got permission from the creators of the first one, so I don't see why a hypothetical HR3 would need to.

But if there are any concerns, just call it something like Hell Unveiled or Hell Apparent ;)

Just now, NiGHTMARE said:

I'm not sure the team behind HR2 got permission from the creators of the first one, so I don't see why a hypothetical HR3 would need to.

But if there are any concerns, just call it something like Hell Unveiled.

That could work. Jaws In Space has made some maps as a tribute to Hell Revealed. If this ever decides to become an actual megawad project, and if Jaws In Space decides to participate, we can ask him to contribute the maps he made for his tribute to Hell Revealed to this project.

Here's the thread to his HR tribute  maps:

JIS recently contacted me to participate in his project. I make heavily inspired HR2 maps withnew layouts and new music :

doom644.pngneuro110.pngneuro210.png

I personally don't plan to do an HR3 explicitly but I would like to know what you are considering?

- Vanilla compatibility, limit-removing, zdoom?
- stock textures or new textures?

All my maps are vanilla and mainly use stock textures. So I'd be interested in seeing a map of yours to see what you're planning.

4 minutes ago, Roofi said:

JIS recently contacted me to participate in his project. I make heavily inspired HR2 maps withnew layouts and new music :

I personally don't plan to do an HR3 explicitly but I would like to know what you are considering?

All my maps are vanilla and mainly use stock textures. So I'd be interested in seeing a map of yours to see what you're planning.

Since HR and HR2 are Vanilla-compatible, I can see HR3 be either Vanilla or Limit-removing. HR and HR2 also had some new textures, so it just depends on what the other mappers decide on which textures to use.

1 hour ago, AleksB said:

Oh i had no idea. Is there a reason why?

56 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Doomwiki stated this on the original HR's article; I think HR was a major wad at that time so permission was likely necessary; not sure about now though.

A sequel, Hell Revealed II, was released in late 2003, created by a new team with Yonatan Donner's approval.

49 minutes ago, Roofi said:

Wow those look great man.  I dont have any made up specific for this kind of idea, but I wanted to start making one in the same style as hell revealed.  I made the post to see if there was any interest in making this a mega wad project.  Hell Revealed three doesnt seem to be a good name for it so it can go under a different name.  But the main inspiration was that megawad.  But Im going to start making a few maps in this style.  But I thought it would be cool to get other people on it.  Ive never hosted a megawad project before, but in these times today, why not right? haha.  I would be down for a vanilla compatibility wad.  I like that idea

16 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Doomwiki stated this on the original HR's article; I think HR was a major wad at that time so permission was likely necessary; not sure about now though.

HR and HR2 are considered one of the classics, along with other often mentioned releases like Alien Vendetta, the Scythe series, Cyberdreams, Eternal Doom and Requiem.

@AleksB Some possible names for your project:

• Hell Unveiled (Goes with the -vealed theme)
  • Hell Unrevealed (Similar)
  • Arrival on Arrokoth
  • Ceres Uprising
  • Euphorie
  • Mare Infernum

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:
  • Hell Unveiled (Goes with the -vealed theme) 
  • Hell Unrevealed (Similar)

These two would be one of the names.  I think these are badass

4 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

HR and HR2 are considered one of the classics, along with other often mentioned releases like Alien Vendetta, the Scythe series, Cyberdreams, Eternal Doom and Requiem

I know that. What I meant was Hell Revealed was a very influential and beloved wad during the late 90s-00s; but over the time many start disliking it so if another sequel was to be made, permission might or might not important.

1 minute ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I know that. What I meant was Hell Revealed was a very influential and beloved wad during the late 90s-00s; but over the time many start disliking it so if another sequel was to be made, permission might or might not important.

Im starting to think that making a direct sequel isnt a good idea, rather a homage or an inspiration megawad to hell revealed would be a better fit

1 hour ago, Lingyan203 said:

That could work. Jaws In Space has made some maps as a tribute to Hell Revealed. If this ever decides to become an actual megawad project, and if Jaws In Space decides to participate, we can ask him to contribute the maps he made for his tribute to Hell Revealed to this project.

1 hour ago, Roofi said:

Yeah this year I have been trying to turn the maps I made into a small team based project. Currently I have have made 5 maps with 2 WIP maps on the way. Over the past 2 weeks I have gotten 4 maps from Roofi for a total of 11 maps. In addition I have previously contacted Benjogami & Bdubzz a few month's ago, they both are interested in contributing maps as well, but have been too busy for now. I am going for a limit removing wad with just a few additional custom textures & assets.

Prior to me making my maps MTX has been developing his own Hell Revealed project called Hell Revealed Rebirth. I believe he also has somewhere around 11 maps completed for his project as well.

i may or may not have a wad file saved called Hell Ravioli but it's just 400 revenants on a giant platform surrounded by 3d bridges that i couldn't make work

Someone did try organising a HR3 project many years back that I was a part of. I don't know what ended up happening with it. I never thought it was a particularly good idea to actually call it a 'sequel' though. Having a HR homage project is fine and makes more sense.

42 minutes ago, yakfak said:

i may or may not have a wad file saved called Hell Ravioli but it's just 400 revenants on a giant platform surrounded by 3d bridges that i couldn't make work

Perfect , I hope the platform is an invisible sector with STEPTOP textures too

Yonatan mentions approval twice of HR2 on his site, on the news page

That said I'm of the camp that would avoid using the HR3 name, in case the original authors want to come back. A subtitle (like Hell Revealed: Los Angeles) would be a nice middleground though, evoking the HR name but simultaneously distancing from the original project

If we do make this a thing, its will be called hell unrevealed. Not a sequel, but a homage. Started one of my maps last night, will post some pics once i progress a little more

HR1 

Legal stuff
-----------
Hell Revealed is freeware but is not public domain. You can distribute it freely, but only in it's entirety.

Don't modify the wad file or any part of hr.zip.

HR2

* Copyright / Permissions *

Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for modification or reuse. Permissions have been

obtained from original authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file.

You MAY distribute this file, provided you include this text file, with no modifications. You may distribute this

file in any electronic format (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file intact.

So, don't use any of the original resources unless you have been granted permission.

That being said, making a tribute megawad in itself would be okay if you use your own resources and map architecture. If you think it necessary then simply mention that you were inspired by HR1, HR2. Use any name for the project you want.

Name suggestion: Hell Revealed Itself.

Edited by Kappes Buur

If this becomes a thing, here's something I'd like to contribute. The format is limit removing (it may work in vanilla, but I haven't tried).

https://www.mediafire.com/file/s7ny9hu5qozhpoz/HR01rem.zip/file

4JyfUtE.png

The working title is "Ad Portam", and it would work best either as MAP01 or a secret level for reasons which should be pretty obvious :)

The map is 100% complete layout wise and about 95% done in terms of gameplay. For the next version I'm going to add a few custom textures,  some schmancy lighting effects, additional detailing (particularly the areas seen in the bottom two pics), and a certain trap.

EDIT: If it's used as a secret level, I'm tempted to do a Warrens style twist when you hit the "exit" switch.

Edited by NiGHTMARE : Additional info