Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

Antaresian Reliquary - A Compilation of Community Project Levels (now on /idgames)

Ohh boy, so far am at the second map and i am having a blast!

Spoiler

However it it has is issues

Screenshot_Doom_20200517_183252.png.f2e91c70aca4bbca93e9e976a5b8eb93.png

I definitely dig it, after your work on Struggle and eviternity this has got to be one of your second best so far (first being struggle)

1 hour ago, antares031 said:

MAP31 : The Eclipse of Betelgeuse
- Removed Suitepee Exit

Say what?

4 minutes ago, Suitepee said:

Say what?

You heard me right, haha :D

There was a super-secret Suitepee Exit, designed for SlaughterMAX, but not anymore for this wad.

"Lost Soul's HP is decreased from 100 to 45"

Enough to earn a download :D 

no need to read the rest

this is really neat! I am really enjoying all the gameplay changes. I do think it's a shame that the fast weapon switching only applies to a limited weapon selection though - the vanilla weapon switch speed takes ages

edit: the endmap is so beautiful, holy moly

Edited by Tango

Hell yeah.

I've played all of these maps in their respective projects, but I wouldn't mind replaying them all. Always been a huge fan of your stuff :)

Struggle was my first and remains one of my favorite Megawads, so I'm definitely downloading this and giving it a go!

Damn, I haven't finished the Struggle yet. Agreed with Tango, vanilla weapon switching speed is really slow.

Awesome, was secretly hoping you'd release something like this! Would be cool if you eventually compiled it into a bigger wad :D

3 hours ago, Firedust said:

Would be cool if you eventually compiled it into a bigger wad :D

I actually thought about including more levels for this compilation project, during the development. But after some arrangements on the maplist, I concluded that these 6+1 should be enough for this wad.

@antares031Yeah I was wondering about rbd2015, Eviternity, Akeldama, and JOM5. Would make ten levels + a secret. But still, this is very cool. :D Those DMP levels are some awesome stuff and now they won't be easily overlooked because of the WAY uneven quality of those wads.

I have risen from the dead to tell you that the weapons and enemies in this wad are absolutely stellar, and that you should create a separate dehacked patch containing the enemies and weapons for use in other wads :D

4 hours ago, TheWolfman00001 said:

I have risen from the dead to tell you that the weapons and enemies in this wad are absolutely stellar, and that you should create a separate dehacked patch containing the enemies and weapons for use in other wads :D

Please do this

I can attest that the first two maps in their original CP slots are very good, surely the rest is good as well. 

On 5/17/2020 at 12:15 PM, antares031 said:

Lost Soul's HP is decreased from 100 to 45

This is triple the good.

8 hours ago, TheWolfman00001 said:

you should create a separate dehacked patch containing the enemies and weapons

This might cause compatibility issues with any other wads with their own dehacked patch, such as Eviternity and Valiant. But since it'll work pretty good with non-dehacked wads, I'll consider making a separate, boom-compatible weapon mod for later.

Would it be a bad idea to play this without having played the maps in their original WADs? Some of those screenies are downright beautiful. Good looking maps are always my favorite. 

22 minutes ago, Alexagon said:

Would it be a bad idea to play this without having played the maps in their original WADs?

It really depends on your preference.

If you prefer vanilla gameplay without any modifications, then playing the original version would be a much better idea. But if you don't mind some changes in weapons and monsters, this new one would be the answer to you.

I actually prefer the modified gameplay. I'm going through Struggle right now actually. 

Here's the beta version of a separate mod with the new gameplay, since some people suggested me to make one. Keep in mind that this mod uses dehacked to change gameplay systems, so it is not recommended to use this one with any wads with their own dehacked, including the original AR. Also, this mod greatly increases weapon-switching speed for every weapon, not just melee weapons and a machinegun. Feel free to leave suggestions on this mod, and have fun.

Click here to download the mod

1 hour ago, antares031 said:

Also, this mod greatly increases weapon-switching speed for every weapon, not just melee weapons and a machinegun.

hell yes!!!! excellent mod you've put together here

@antares031

While I have no issue about the decision to not include every community wad level - especially for some of the high caliber recent megawads like Eviternity and Akeldama - I do want to suggest considering Sky Pillar for inclusion as a Map07, it would be most fitting as a final level too IMO (just as it fit as one in its original project).

Of course this can be voided if the textures/sprites from Eternal are too difficult to move over...that level is definitely dependent on them.

Edited by FrancisT18

On 5/20/2020 at 4:23 AM, FrancisT18 said:

...Sky Pillar for inclusion as a Map07, it would be most fitting as a final level too IMO

Of course this can be voided if the textures/sprites from Eternal are too difficult to move over...that level is definitely dependent on them.

It's not because of importing textures, which won't take longer than making a new level. During the development, Sky Pillar was definitely on the potential candidate. But since the level was specifically designed to commemorate the memory of late Ty Halderman, I thought it would be much better that the level should be stayed in the THT:Threnody, along with other levels that were designed to remember the essential pillar of the community. IMO, Sky Pillar itself is meaningless, if it's not together with other levels of THT. Alternatively, you can try THT with the separated mod I posted. And hey, at least we got the new MAP07 to finish the wad.

21 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

43,000 monsters in level 31. Cool. I can imagine someone making a map with that many enemies that take 8 hours IGT to complete.

While the official UV-Max time is 42:30, you can definitely go for below 40 minutes, if you optimize your route. Not to mention that weapons in AR are quite powerful, compare to the original doom.

Edited by antares031

@antares031

I would say it is true that those levels gain context when they are in a commemoration project, so you have a point there - even if Sky Pillar would still be an excellent map in isolation. I agree DyingCamel and DMP, OTOH, were simply projects where any member of a given community could contribute a level, but they were 'for fun' basically. NOVA3 and 1k Lines were somewhat stricter in terms of what was good to go, which had me thinking THT wouldn't be outside reasonability, but NOVA3/1k are still not made in commemoration, I can agree, so you don't really lose the context of the original project by having them separate. If anything...that leaves me wondering if Joy of Mapping 5 has a place in here...but perhaps it relies on GZDoom in a way you don't want this wad to, and/or you want to leave out 'speedmapped' levels.

3 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

that leaves me wondering if Joy of Mapping 5 has a place in here

The level from JoM 5, which was originally designed as boom-compatible, was one of candidates for the wad opener. But I decided to keep it for later, along with other compact & speedmapped levels.

@antares031

First of all RC2 with all weapons fast switch would be nice...Until then though if I load this wad first then the standalone mod afterward shoukd it work without issue with everything functioning as intended?

Also...are Level 2 in this and Level 25 in Struggle related? They aren't copies, and the aesthetic themes are entirely separate, but the ideas look to largely be similar...Did one level actually) use the other as a base (with some modifications of course)?

4 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

RC2 with all weapons fast switch would be nice...Until then though if I load this wad first then the standalone mod afterward shoukd it work without issue with everything functioning as intended? Also...are Level 2 in this and Level 25 in Struggle related? They aren't copies, and the aesthetic themes are entirely separate, but the ideas look to largely be similar...Did one level actually) use the other as a base (with some modifications of course)?

In order to do this, I need at least 12 extra frames for the rest of weapons. Since there are no more frames that I can use for free, I need to borrow some more frames from other things. I think this won't be a big problem, though.

About the MAP02, the level was designed first for DyingCamel's Demons #1, and I used the same concept for Struggle's MAP25, since I really liked the idea of that level. Hell, they even share the same soundtrack, so you can definitely see some similarities between them. :D

Still haven't played the actual WAD but just downloaded and played the first 16 levels of Doom II with the weapons mod and that the "demonslayer" is awesome to use, the "perforator" is  satisfying as hell and the "disruptor" is probably the best plasma I ever fired.

Will play the actual levels they were intended for later :D