Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anonymous777

How would you change the Doom 1&2 Chainsaw

1 minute ago, OleBumma said:

I'd replace the chainsaw with a pair of scissors!

only if it's this scissors [spoiler for mild NSFW]:

Spoiler

image.png.f7479fbf770baffb0819ca18092dd00a.png

Remove the lock-on and it's one of the best weapons in the game. Every monster besides the bosses becomes a joke without backup nearby.

I think it's pretty great how it is, especially in source ports that fix collision.

To put another way:

Does the berserk pack make the chainsaw obsolete? When would you still use the chainsaw? Could we or should we expand these use cases?

I think in contemporary pistol start gameplay, the chainsaw isn't especially relevant. At most, a level is either a chainsaw level or a berserk level, OR there's a phase where you have the chainsaw but haven't upgraded to the berserk pack.

The chainsaw needed to be implemented in vanilla they same way it is in zdoom: it checks the outside bounding box rather than a diagonal line though the creature.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:25 PM, Nine Inch Heels said:

I don't think I'd change anything about it, aside of the way it sounds... I will say though that doom64's double-bladed chainsaw does have its charms.

The chainsaw's strengths come into focus when you have areas of your map designed for it. For example, (and I hate to use myself as an example, but hey, it's all I've got), I designed an area to be basically a linear close quarters pathway to a switch, health and ammo are limited up until the end. BASICALLY, I want the player to think: "ah gee, I'd really like a chainsaw right about now." WHICH, they can get :D but, how to do so is a secret.

So when considering that the chainsaw is strong when facing enemies in a tight corridor, and when you make it so that fighting enemies with the chainsaw is the easier option, and if you HIDE the chainsaw, you've got yourself a nice little thingy going on.